• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem vs Arcam or other <$3000 processor...

chris760

Forum Donor
Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this:

I am trying to upgrade my receiver to a higher quality unit.
I also have a pretty tight space to fit the receiver into due to WAF and would like to find a smaller unit if possible so it is not so crowded.

I currently have the Marantz sr5015. I tried a Denon 3700 and it was OK for my needs.

A lot of folks recommend the Anthem and the Arcam.
I have owned Emotiva products in the past and don’t want to own another at the moment.
I need something that supports 4K (Currently have a shield TV and nintendo switch).
Do not need 8K.
Do not need >7 channels.
I do want Doly Vision support and HDR support.
I am currently only running 3 and will only ever go up to 7 maybe...
I do not need the processor to have any amps as I have an external amp.

I like the look of the Anthem AVM70 but cant find a used one in my budget. The AVM60 looks decent but I saw a poor reviews of its SINAD performance on this thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/anthem-avm60-review-av-processor.20155/)

I then started looking at Arcam receivers but don’t know much yet about them. Most reviews seem not so great in my budget range.

I want something that will last a few years.
Doesn’t struggle with HDMI issues.
Has a clean interface and is relatively easy to setup.
Offers the OSD overlaid on 4K content.
Has decent room correction.
I don’t need XLR outs RCA is fine.
Don't need any second zone stuff or multiple monitor outs.

Main listening uses: 80% kids shows (I have littles at this point in my life :D ), 10% movies, 10% music. The wife and I enjoy watching movies and listening to music when we have time.

Any pointers on what to start hunting for would be much appreciated and any feedback on the two brands.

Not sure if this makes a difference or not but I plan on picking up a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's. I believe Anthem is the same company. But not sure if that makes any difference.

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What would you expect this change to bring in the way of benefits, i.e. how do you define higher quality? I'd just use what you've got considering your needs.

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
There are a few things about the Marantz that I am not happy with.
1) Every day or so I have to pull the power cord and plug it back in to get it to re-synch with my shield.
2) I never feel like audessy does a great job.
3) The HDMI switching feel sluggish but maybe its normal or fast?
4) The on screen OSD at times is very sluggish or gets stuck ON and I have to hit info 2-3times and wait 10-15 seconds after each push for it to respond and switch.

Higher quality:
Cleaner/faster UI experience
Better calibration (if possible)
HDMI without issues
Better audio fidelity..... i get this one is highly subjective, but something geared towards dedicated external amplification. I also feel like older marantz models I owned and have since forgotten their model numbers sounded more "warn" and produced clearer dialog. I feel like I have to turn up the center quite a bit above the audessy reference to hear anything.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
1. HDMI can be fussy with all sorts of brands. No shield experience myself as to what syncing entails...
2. I've done well with Audyssey, altho prefer XT32 and use of the editor app, but hard to know what you've done or not
3. Not sure what is normal/fast, it's always been fast enough for me with various avrs
4. Never had that experience, makes me wonder if it might even be a remote issue

HDMI without issues is a big ask, its just not that good to begin with but we're kinda stuck with it due DRM demands of content owners....and Anthem/Arcam aren't particularly well known for avoiding bugginess...

The whole warm/clearer thing from memory, meh. Same speakers/subs and location?

ps Have you tried a full microprocessor/factory reset on the Marantz ?

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
Thanks for the solid advice.
For #1. I believe HDMI works on a "hand-shake" type thing where both sides of the connection have to "synch" with each other. I might be way off the mark but basically no amount of restarting the shield or unplugging and re-plugging the HDMI, or restarting the TV, or simply turning off and on the receiver fixes the issue. I literally have to go to the receiver pull the plug and then let it start back up and it works every single time (I have done this at least 200+ times at this point)

#2 - I have not tried the app. I seriously considered it but $15-20 seemed steep for an app and then all the reviews were really bad. I read that the "mid range correction" removal could be done on the receiver directly by just setting the audessy to "flat" instead of "reference". After that I didn't see any other reason to buy the app. Could you give me any more feedback on what I am missing or could do better if I had it?

#3 - This one is a pretty weak argument, more of a tell myself its bad so I can justify something new. I guess if I am on the shield and then switch to the nintendo switch it takes 5+ seconds to make the change. Maybe they are all like that? I will actually measure this one with a stop watch to verify and then try and compare with others (if anyone even bothers to check this)

I have not tried a full factory reset. I will give it a shot.

Speakers, setup, location, all changed so I guess this one is out the window and not valid.

Just want to make sure I am not missing out on a better movie/musical fidelity. I have a bit of extra cash to splurge on a new processor and was trying to see if it was worth it.

OP
chris760

chris760

Forum Donor
I could not find a detailed review on here of my 5015 but did find one of the 7015,
I believe it highly probable the 5015 would test the same if not worse being a cheaper model.....

funnychap

I also have a pretty tight space to fit the receiver into due to WAF and would like to find a smaller unit if possible so it is not so crowded.

I currently have the Marantz sr5015. I tried a Denon 3700 and it was OK for my needs.

I have owned Emotiva products in the past and don’t want to own another at the moment.
I need something that supports 4K (Currently have a shield TV and nintendo switch).
Do not need 8K.
Do not need >7 channels.

I like the look of the Anthem AVM70 but cant find a used one in my budget. The AVM60 looks decent but I saw a poor reviews of its SINAD performance on this thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/anthem-avm60-review-av-processor.20155/)

I then started looking at Arcam receivers but don’t know much yet about them. Most reviews seem not so great in my budget range.

Main listening uses: 80% kids shows (I have littles at this point in my life :D ), 10% movies, 10% music. The wife and I enjoy watching movies and listening to music when we have time.

Any pointers on what to start hunting for would be much appreciated and any feedback on the two brands.

Not sure if this makes a difference or not but I plan on picking up a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's. I believe Anthem is the same company. But not sure if that makes any difference.

I've been in the hobby since 2000. I have the Arcam AVR5 in a 7.2.4 setup with my 150in screen and even the Arcam by itself sounds way way better than my Denon X3700H in a 5.2.4 setup even with 100% external amps.

Guest bedroom/theater with 150in screen in a 7.2.4 setup:
Arcam AVR5 powers LCR
Emotiva BasX-A3 powers surround L and R (BasX does not have good dynamic range so I relegate it to the surrounds)
3 old Denon 1912 receivers power the rear surrounds and 4 atmos speakers

Family room in a 5.2.4 setup:
Denon X3700H powers the center channel, rear L and R, 4 atmos
Parasound Zonemaster 2 powers the L and R (and makes 2-channels music way better than Denon or Emotiva BasX-A3).

funnychap

Do not need 8K.
Do not need >7 channels.

I started like you with just 10% music. After I upgraded from a Denon X3700H to the Arcam AVR5, I enjoyed music way more that I even upgraded streaming from Spotify lossy to Apple Music lossless and Spatial Audio. Your Arcam AVR20 has even more power than mine.

funnychap

1. HDMI can be fussy with all sorts of brands. No shield experience myself as to what syncing entails...
2. I've done well with Audyssey, altho prefer XT32 and use of the editor app, but hard to know what you've done or not
3. Not sure what is normal/fast, it's always been fast enough for me with various avrs
4. Never had that experience, makes me wonder if it might even be a remote issue

HDMI without issues is a big ask, its just not that good to begin with but we're kinda stuck with it due DRM demands of content owners....and Anthem/Arcam aren't particularly well known for avoiding bugginess...

The whole warm/clearer thing from memory, meh. Same speakers/subs and location?

ps Have you tried a full microprocessor/factory reset on the Marantz ?
I've upgraded from a Denon X3700H to an Arcam AVR5 since 8/2022 and there's been no bugs with the Arcam. I love Arcam's high quality sound in a 7.2.4 setup.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've upgraded from a Denon X3700H to an Arcam AVR5 since 8/2022 and there's been no bugs with the Arcam. I love Arcam's high quality sound in a 7.2.4 setup.
What makes the sound particularly "high quality"?

funnychap

What makes the sound particularly "high quality"?
To me, for 2-channels music I noticed clearer with female vocalists (higher notes), more dynamic range , especially revealing with better sources when I upgraded from Spotify to Apple Music lossless. I noticed this when I auditioned $90k, $200k, and $1m 2-channel systems.

The song with the most night and day difference is: Y Volvere by Lucero (female vocalist). In Spotify, there's a lot of crackling noises of high notes because Spotify can't capture the full wavelength, whereas there's no crackling in Apple Music and the notes are higher.

For movies, I hear sounds that I didn't before, clearer surround sounds, especially revealing with better sources like physical media blu-ray and 4k discs.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, for 2-channels music I noticed clearer with female vocalists (higher notes), more dynamic range , especially revealing with better sources when I upgraded from Spotify to Apple Music lossless. I noticed this when I auditioned $90k, $200k, and $1m 2-channel systems.

For movies, I hear sounds that I didn't before, clearer surround sounds, especially revealing with better sources like physical media blu-ray and 4k discs.
Uh huh.

Top Bottom