• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

Mike-48

@GTDTS - So, apart from taking down the midrange a few dB, what else do you want to change about the red curve (or its resulting sound)?

I am surprised you like that 15 dB bump in the bass. It would be way too much for me; but peoples' preferences vary widely, which is one part of what makes life interesting.

Can you post your .arc3 file here? If not PM me, and I'll send an email address to forward it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well my anthem has died , no right channel.. 18 months of use , not impressed .

We will find out how good their returns and technical support is now I guess.
Dude, you got the worst luck with gear of anyone I know, sorry to hear about this latest failure. :(
Hope you get better service from them than you've experienced in the past. :mad:
Cheers Mate, have a beer or two.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
@Mike-48
Indeed you are correct. The STR does sound more forward. Thank you very much for the offer to look. I’d like to take you up on that!

And, yes...I was able to dial in the sub so they are much the same now. Good observation. The Orange line is the original ARC setting...and much different than what I want. It’s very bright and anemic sounding in the room. The good news is that the STR is configurable enough to get it where the user wants it. It just took a bit.

This is like a baby to me so I really appreciate any support. I know we can get this just right. I like the STR. It has been solid and bug free for me. No edginess on some of the female vocals. No breaks in the music and no slight interruptions like with jitter. And it looks great. So I want this to show off. Thanks!!
The software is amazing and easy to use, i spent ages recently messing about with it . I'd not bothered beforehand and I'm glad I took the time .

Once I get a working unit I will have to get REW going and see whats really happening post correction.

OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Dude, you got the worst luck with gear of anyone I know, sorry to hear about this latest failure. :(
Hope you get better service from them than you've experienced in the past. :mad:
Cheers Mate, have a beer or two.
Yea tel me bout it ... no music in the hifi room sucks.

I'm a magnet...., for failure ha ha

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. I spoke with Anthem tech support this morning. Upi there mentioned that if the AVR is connected to the RCA 3 input on the STR, then the output also has to be RCA to the power amp. The problem is that my power amp only has XLR inputs, and my AVR has only rca outputs. Upi said he was going to confer with a couple guys there who know more about this. They are supposed to be calling me back. I do have a set of RCA to XLR adapters, so I guess I'll try those and then come in to the STR on XLR input and see if that works.
Update: Yes, home theater bypass works, after using rca-XLR adapters and connecting to the XLR 1 input. Sounds great, although there is a bit of hum/buzz coming from my speakers when the unit is in Standby. It seems to be at least in some part related to line noise because the recessed lights in the room do have some effect on the buzz. I can't really hear the buzz from the sofa, so I guess I'm not going to worry about it. Interestingly, when I power up the STR, the buzz/hum from the speakers disappears completely. I wonder if the STR employs some manner of line filtering that does not occur when the unit is in Standby.

Andyg400

Would anybody have an experience of the following ...

For setup reasons I am thinking replacing my MyTek Broklyn DAC+ with an Anthem STR preamp(I am after HT bypass),

Would the Anthem STR Preamp's DAC be as good or even better than the MyTek?

Many thanks

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

For setup reasons I am thinking replacing my MyTek Broklyn DAC+ with an Anthem STR preamp(I am after HT bypass),

Many thanks
I don't think you (or anyone) will hear a difference from the DAC but the room correction will result in a substantial improvement.

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Many thanks
Absolutely, but define "good enough"? If you mean converting every digital bit into an analog signal, then the answer is definitely YES. However, people pay more for DACs because they have a signature sound or features that allow for tuning the sound via filters and other things that may or may not be important to you. The core purpose of all competently designed DACs today including an $80 DAC dongle is easily accomplished - it's the other conveniences like Dirac, Bluetooth, Roon certification, streaming, solid billet case, etc. which brings up the cost.

Mike-48

In audio, I think the question often is not "better?" but "will I like?". And that of course is a matter of taste. But here are my experiences.

I have not tried the new Mytek Brooklyn+. A couple of years ago, I replaced a Classe CP-800 (more $) with an Anthem STR Preamp in my main system. I think the DSP in the Anthem is far more transparent than the Classe, and I prefer the DAC as well, which seems to me more open sounding. One review characterized the Anthem as having a slightly lively or forward sound (other reviews did not), and I think that is true compared to the Classe. In comparison, at one point, I borrowed a Mytek Brooklyn (original) for use in other system, and I found that several of the filter possibilities were a bit too aggressive for me, more so than the Anthem.

ARC (Anthem's room correction software) is worth learning -- every feature of it.

On balance I have been happy with the Anthem and have no plans or dreams of replacement. I think it is a pleasure to use. I could post more if you have specific questions.

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry to hear about the failure - this pre-amp is exactly the direction things should go (unless DSP is built into the speakers)

Mike-48

this pre-amp is exactly the direction things should go (unless DSP is built into the speakers)

I will second that . . . a combination of DAC, preamp, and DSP (including crossovers for subs) is a great and sensible combination. To that, Anthem adds an easy-to-use interface, highly legible display, and tone controls easily accessible from the remote. Of course, I have my (short) wish list of added features; yet, I am happy to have chosen the Anthem from today's units. Of the three DSP preamps I've owned, it's the first whose DSP seems fully transparent to me.

Andyg400

Absolutely, but define "good enough"? If you mean converting every digital bit into an analog signal, then the answer is definitely YES. However, people pay more for DACs because they have a signature sound or features that allow for tuning the sound via filters and other things that may or may not be important to you. The core purpose of all competently designed DACs today including an $80 DAC dongle is easily accomplished - it's the other conveniences like Dirac, Bluetooth, Roon certification, streaming, solid billet case, etc. which brings up the cost.

Arrh, I see.

I plan to keep the SOTM setup and feed the DAC from that.

With regard to 'Good enough' I am after clarity in sound, like I have now with the Mytek, which I like ... I would be selling this, to pay towards the STR Preamp.

I guess what I should consider if the STR can be a Roon Endpoint - ops I better check.

Andyg400

In audio, I think the question often is not "better?" but "will I like?". And that of course is a matter of taste. But here are my experiences.

I have not tried the new Mytek Brooklyn+. A couple of years ago, I replaced a Classe CP-800 (more $) with an Anthem STR Preamp in my main system. I think the DSP in the Anthem is far more transparent than the Classe, and I prefer the DAC as well, which seems to me more open sounding. One review characterized the Anthem as having a slightly lively or forward sound (other reviews did not), and I think that is true compared to the Classe. In comparison, at one point, I borrowed a Mytek Brooklyn (original) for use in other system, and I found that several of the filter possibilities were a bit too aggressive for me, more so than the Anthem.

ARC (Anthem's room correction software) is worth learning -- every feature of it.

On balance I have been happy with the Anthem and have no plans or dreams of replacement. I think it is a pleasure to use. I could post more if you have specific questions.

Many thanks, I think you hit the nail on the head with 'will I like' .. but based on what you describe provides the reassurance I am not about to make a big mistake and end up 'down grading' for more cost.

Thanks

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Exactly this - the value proposition that Anthem STR brings to the table is ARC, a worthy alternative to Dirac. You're paying a premium for this room equalization feature which I personally believe offers greater potential for improvement than any DAC upgrade because no room is perfect (even after extensive room treatment and proper speaker placement) and if your room is not treated?

Andyg400

Mine is the living room, so my wife would go nuts with anything she does not desire one the walls!

She went nuts over the Kefs, but that was 20 years ago and she has calmed down now, LOL :)

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine is the living room, so my wife would go nuts with anything she does not desire one the walls!
She went nuts over the Kefs, but that was 20 years ago and she has calmed down now, LOL :)
OK, so now I'm definitely encouraging you to get the Anthem as long as you plan to use ARC - yes, you will most definitely hear a difference and it has everything to do with the room correction feature.

Mike-48

Arrh, I see.
I guess what I should consider if the STR can be a Roon Endpoint - ops I better check.

The STR doesn't have streaming built in, so if you mean an endpoint over the network, no. (I have mine connected to my network -- and Roon -- through an Auralic Aries G1.) If you mean via USB, I am not sure, but I don't see why not.

Andyg400

The STR doesn't have streaming built in, so if you mean an endpoint over the network, no. (I have mine connected to my network -- and Roon -- through an Auralic Aries G1.) If you mean via USB, I am not sure, but I don't see why not.

ok thanks

I actually have a Roon nucleus plus and SOTM network end point, so no problem to use the USB audio into an STR.

Lev80

First post here: Hello
I'm in the process of exchanging my DAC/pre units, moving from the Parasound P6 to the STR Pre. "awaiting delivery"
My power amp is the JC5, speakers are Swans F2.2A
My question to the fellas here: What would you think about this pairing? The good and the bad.
I prefer lively and dynamic performance, with a good grip and control. The P6 didn't cut if for me and felt
Like a major downgrade from my previous integrated amps, Hint and the AS2100.
Meanwhile the JC5 is a WMD.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
First post here: Hello
Welcome to ASR, happy to have you here.
Your choice of the STR pre is a very good one. The integration of the Anthem Room Correction system will bring a whole world of new options to your rig. I've never used it, but I've heard it set up a couple times now and was very impressed with the final results. Take some time to do some homework on it's use and the time spent will pay back dividends.
Your JC5 is a big, muscular amp and should be able to handle anything it's called on to provide.
Enjoy that new sound.
Sal
BTW, I use 5.2.4 Audyssey Room Correction myself, DRC is the future of audio that can take your system to a whole new level.

Last edited:
Top Bottom