• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

Sparky

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hope the Anthem is everything it's cracked up to be!

Sparky

Forum Donor
Do you have any thoughts about these?
They're fantastic and I easily get good fast and controlled bass from them. They go low too in room. Again, I can achieve 10hz with the two of them combined.
The minidsp 2x4hd has really helped me phase align them together.

Before:

IMG_20200328_091505.jpg

After:

IMG_20200328_101921.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200328_101921.jpg
    IMG_20200328_101921.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20200328_091505.jpg
    IMG_20200328_091505.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 246

Sparky

Forum Donor
They're fantastic and I easily get good fast and controlled bass from them. They go low too in room. Again, I can achieve 10hz with the two of them combined.
The minidsp 2x4hd has really helped me phase align them together.

Before:

View attachment 57518

After:

View attachment 57519

I feel I need to explain here. I said I get 10hz in room with both subs but I have introduced a 48dB butterworth HP filter at 14hz because I was exciting the room a little too much allowing them to play that low. My fillings were vibrating. :D

As always with subs, placement is key! Mine are not ideally placed because its a lounge first and music/TV room second. The minidsp 2x4hd has completely fixed that for me.

Just thought I would explain as the measurements don't show them playing down to 10hz.

MarcT

Forum Donor
I believe that no difference can be heard at all between Anthem STR integrated and separated, even when compare to some Mcintosh gears (thats why I join ASR). Any well-performers should sound identical when volume match.
I'll be getting Mcintosh Mc462 in a month time, mostly because it is equal in price and performance with an Anthem STR, but Mc gears have better build quality.
And who doesnt want a Mc stack? Hehe
A Mc preamp with MEN220 + Mc452/462/601/611 stack will be an endgame choice for anyone :)
That is very nice to hear, since I'm thinking to simplify my separates setup, which would allow me to get away from the dreadfully measuring PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/pre-amp that I bought before I found this site and found Amirm's test of it. I am assuming that the SINAD measurement for the Anthem STR Integrated is better than the abysmal 58 score of the PS Audio. If not, then there's no point switching, right? This would also allow me to run my turntable into the STR Integrated instead of into my AVR as I am now doing.

Now, as to home theater bypass, I thought I read that the Integrated does indeed have it. If not, then it does me no good in my audio/video setup.

IslandMD

Here's what the Anthem STR Integrated's manual says about HT Bypass"

"Home Theatre Bypass is a feature that allows you to use the STR Integrated as a 2-channel amplifier in conjunction with your home theatre processor. Activating HT Bypass configures a single analog input to be used without digital processing, it will also disable the STR Integrated volume control and mute function when enabled.

When the Home Theatre Bypass input is selected only the Left and Right channels will be active, subwoofers connected only to the STR Integrated will not receive signal and will remain inactive.

Home Theatre Bypass is found by entering the setup menu and selecting the “Input Setup” option. Scroll to the bottom and there will be a menu item “Configure HT Bypass”, select this option.

Home Theater Bypass requires the selection of a single analog source (RCA1, RCA2, RCA3, RCA4, or XLR1). The selected input will remain in the input selection list but will now have an additional HTB label.

HT Bypass can be activated regardless of the input through RS232 and IP via the special command “Z1INP32;”

Unfortunately, unlike the STR pre-amp, the Integrated does not have a bypass for the subwoofers. This means that if you are sharing the same subwoofers between your AVR and the STR Integrated you will need to connect the subwoofer outputs of each device to your subwoofers separately. This means that the subwoofers will be connected to two devices at the same time which runs the risk of causing an audible ground loop.

If a ground loop occurs, one solution is to have a different set of subwoofers for stereo and multichannel. Not exactly a practical solution. Another solution would be to place a ground loop isolator like this in the subwoofer path:
Hum isolator_resize.jpg

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I am assuming that the SINAD measurement for the Anthem STR Integrated is better than the abysmal 58 score of the PS Audio.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/anthem-electronics-str-da-integrated-amplifier-measurements

Here’s a link to the Stereophile measurements of the STR Integrated Amp. I don’t know how to convert the measurements into SINAD, so someone else would have to help you interpret if you need it.

Incidentally, the Anthem STR line appears to be on sale 20% off right now, at least in the US. I’ve seen two sites listing them as such.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Here's what the Anthem STR Integrated's manual says about HT Bypass"

"Home Theatre Bypass is a feature that allows you to use the STR Integrated as a 2-channel amplifier in conjunction with your home theatre processor. Activating HT Bypass configures a single analog input to be used without digital processing, it will also disable the STR Integrated volume control and mute function when enabled.

When the Home Theatre Bypass input is selected only the Left and Right channels will be active, subwoofers connected only to the STR Integrated will not receive signal and will remain inactive.

Home Theatre Bypass is found by entering the setup menu and selecting the “Input Setup” option. Scroll to the bottom and there will be a menu item “Configure HT Bypass”, select this option.

Home Theater Bypass requires the selection of a single analog source (RCA1, RCA2, RCA3, RCA4, or XLR1). The selected input will remain in the input selection list but will now have an additional HTB label.

HT Bypass can be activated regardless of the input through RS232 and IP via the special command “Z1INP32;”

Unfortunately, unlike the STR pre-amp, the Integrated does not have a bypass for the subwoofers. This means that if you are sharing the same subwoofers between your AVR and the STR Integrated you will need to connect the subwoofer outputs of each device to your subwoofers separately. This means that the subwoofers will be connected to two devices at the same time which runs the risk of causing an audible ground loop.

If a ground loop occurs, one solution is to have a different set of subwoofers for stereo and multichannel. Not exactly a practical solution. Another solution would be to place a ground loop isolator like this in the subwoofer path:View attachment 57671
Thanks much. Well, I'm not using a sub, so I guess that would not be a big deal for me. And if I do get a sub, it would be to use with my AVR for movies.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Joined the Anthem STR club. Of the units that can optimize a 2.2 stereo system while allowing for relatively seamless HT bypass this seems to be the least compromised. So far , so good and it solved my HT ground loop problem too. This one box replaced a Benchmark DAC3, A JL CR-1 crossover and a miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac unit. Only problem is a mostly empty rack, any suggestions?

B1BDB81F-0E78-4BD5-89B3-DD75309D19EC.jpeg
E8D08715-2C91-4395-97C2-926BC519FAE6.jpeg

Last edited:

MarcT

Forum Donor
Joined the Anthem STR club. Of the units that can optimize a 2.2 stereo system while allowing for relatively seamless HT bypass this seems to be the least compromised. So far , so good and it solved my HT ground loop problem too. This one box replaced a Benchmark DAC3, A JL CR-1 crossover and a miniDSP DDRC-22D Dirac unit. Only problem is a mostly empty rack, any suggestions?

View attachment 59725View attachment 59726
Wow, this is really, really interesting to me because I have been on the verge of getting a Benchmark DAC3 HGC here. But the DAC3 runs $2200, and has no room correction or phono inputs. How do you feel the STR pre-amp DAC performance compares to the DAC3 so far?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow, this is really, really interesting to me because I have been on the verge of getting a Benchmark DAC3 HGC here. But the DAC3 runs $2200, and has no room correction or phono inputs. How do you feel the STR pre-amp DAC performance compares to the DAC3 so far?
Do you use Subs? If not than a Benchmark DAC3 and a miniDSP DDRC-22D is a great solution (i can sell you mine and throw in a ART Phono preamp).

If you use subs, I recommend the STR.

Last edited:
OP
Thomas savage

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor

Get a TT , I mean you do love music don't you ?

IslandMD

Wow. Nice setup. Are those Aerial 7Ts I'm seeing? If so, I've got the same speakers and I'm running dual Rythmik E15 sub-woofers so the STR Pre + Benchmark amp would be an ideal setup for me as well. How do you like the sound? Do you find Anthem's ARC correction useful? Is the Benchmark amp good enough to drive the 7Ts well?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow. Nice setup. Are those Aerial 7Ts I'm seeing? If so, I've got the same speakers and I'm running dual Rythmik E15 sub-woofers so the STR Pre + Benchmark amp would be an ideal setup for me as well. How do you like the sound? Do you find Anthem's ARC correction useful? Is the Benchmark amp good enough to drive the 7Ts well?

Thanks, The Speakers are Revel Salon 2s and the Subs are JL F113v2s. One AHB2 is sufficient for my purposes and can go as loud as I ever need (Bear in mind that I'm crossing over at 80Hz to the subs) but I'll probably still get another one at some point just because.

IslandMD

The Speakers are Revel Salon 2s and the Subs are JL F113v2s. One AHB2 is sufficient for my purposes and can go as loud as I ever need (Bear in mind that I'm crossing over at 80Hz to the subs) but I'll probably still get another one at some point just because.
They look almost identical to the 7Ts with the grills on. The shape of the base is very similar as well. Have you had a chance to try Anthem's ARC room correction?

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They look almost identical to the 7Ts with the grills on. The shape of the base is very similar as well. Have you had a chance to try Anthem's ARC room correction?

Yes, ran ARC, worked great similar results to Dirac but with much easier Sub integration and bass management. I'm limiting the correction to below 500Hz.

MarcT

Forum Donor
Do you use Subs? If not than a Benchmark DAC3 and a miniDSP DDRC-22D is a great solution (i can sell you mine and throw in a ART Phono preamp).

If you use subs, I recommend the STR.
Not currently using subs, but I like the idea of being able to in the future.

Top Bottom