• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR pre-amp

Neric

I've had an Anthem STR Preamp for about a year now.

I used to have a Rotel preamp but I wanted something better so the STR was the first step into completely redoing my 2.1 channel system.

When I picked up the STR the sales guy said I could get better speakers now (I was using SVS Ultra Bookshelves)...

I already had a Rotel DT-6000 which I really like. I still own a lot of CDs.

Queue to last summer, I listened to a bunch of speakers 2-3x the price of my SVS Ultra Bookshelves. Those sounded more detailed... But I hate the idea of upgrading over and over.... So I found and listened to the persona line, and I don't like then - made pop music sound bad (good for orchestra - I listen to both)

Found a store selling a huge line of 2 channel stuff.. So I listened to Wilson Bookshelf, then the Audio Vector R1. Noticed the AV R3 next to it, came back later and listened to it. Went and listened to B&W and some other speakers... but kept returning to the AV R3.

So Last fall I ordered the AV R3 Arrete... got them, and my 200w/channel Rotel amp wasn't cutting it any more - queue discovering Buckeye amps here. And Buckeye is the same internal output as the 6k and 10k Bel Canto.... (And Buckeye is cheaper then the Rotel amp!) so I ordered one and now I'm in music nirvana.

So yes the Anthem STR can handle much better speakers... My room isn't great. I use ARC on an AVM 60 in my theater. ARC is even more noticeable here. Turn it off the bass goes out of control.

I decided my SVS Pro 1000 wasn't right for the AVs... so I auditioned Rel and SVS 4000... now there's an SVS 4000 in the corner....

Upgrade complete right :)

radix

Major Contributor
I decided my SVS Pro 1000 wasn't right for the AVs... so I auditioned Rel and SVS 4000... now there's an SVS 4000 in the corner....

Upgrade complete right :)
How does the ARC report look for corrected FR?

You might find that a second (perhaps even smaller) sub somewhere else in the room can help with the bass response more. It is all very geometry and materials dependent. Though if you're happy with it as is, that's all that really matters.

Neric

How does the ARC report look for corrected FR?

You might find that a second (perhaps even smaller) sub somewhere else in the room can help with the bass response more. It is all very geometry and materials dependent. Though if you're happy with it as is, that's all that really matters.

This is FL
1707774209279.png

Sub:
1707774705046.png

That's the corrected Curve, I'm very happy with it. I can play orchestral music and the timpinis sound right. Fire up AG's Problem and get nice tight bass.

I emailed back and forth with Ed over at SVS, he said I don't need 2 subs. I went for the ultra level to get the resolution it can do. I ABed with the 1000 Pro with my speakers turned off. It was neat how much more detail the 4000 had on the bass when playing orchestra music.

Last edited:
Top Bottom