• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

JDragon

I own the Anthem STR pre/power amp and a MiniDSP SHD Studio. The Anthem equipment has a much better UX and physical look and feel.

carlob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own the Anthem STR pre/power amp and a MiniDSP SHD Studio. The Anthem equipment has a much better UX and physical look and feel.

For sure, Anthem stuff is always very well built. Here I wasn't able to find the Anthem STR pre+power amp for less than 7.700 Euro (3k the preamp and 4.7k the power amp).

My Minidsp SHD (not the studio, the regular one) was about 1.300 Euro and my Nord hypex nc500 amp was about 1.500 Euro, total 2.800 Euro. Aside of measurements I would as a minimum expect much better look and feel for a 3X price factor. I think it is important to compare apples with apples, Anthem is a well known luxury hi-fi brand, Minidsp is a chinese manufacturer that works very well but not in the same market. That said if money is not an option I'm all for expensive audio jewelry :)

Last edited:

Darvis

For sure, Anthem stuff is always very well built. Here I wasn't able to find the Anthem STR pre+power amp for less than 7.700 Euro (3k the preamp and 4.7k the power amp).

My Minidsp SHD (not the studio, the regular one) was about 1.300 Euro and my Nord hypex nc500 amp was about 1.500 Euro, total 2.800 Euro. Aside of measurements I would as a minimum expect much better look and feel for a 3X price factor. I think it is important to compare apples with apples, Anthem is a well known luxury hi-fi brand, Minidsp is a chinese manufacturer that works very well but not in the same market. That said if money is not an option I'm all for expensive audio jewelry :)
Yeah, I love Anthem (well, I'm still butthurt about the hdmi board failure though) but I find them too expensive, especially now that they're not made in Canada anymore.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
I am grateful for all the information everyone has given me so far. I am getting the idea that the value of the better measuring Purifi amplifier is more of vanity than performance (i. e. I should get the better measuring gear if I want to be able to tell everyone how great my gear's SINAD is, but nobody would know the difference otherwise). To be honest, both of these options remain very tempting.

Darvis

Here's my take on your conundrum: if all goes well, you'll be very happy with both, you'll enjoy great sound either way. But, with the minidsp solution there's a chance for frustration, hiccups, fuckups. Not with the Anthem one, which is very straightforward.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
I am grateful for all the information everyone has given me so far. I am getting the idea that the value of the better measuring Purifi amplifier is more of vanity than performance (i. e. I should get the better measuring gear if I want to be able to tell everyone how great my gear's SINAD is, but nobody would know the difference otherwise). To be honest, both of these options remain very tempting.

NAD’s new M33 has purifi amps, Dirac, and BluOS, and you can likely find a street price for it that is fairly close to the anthem, I would think. Dirac can be simple or difficult—depending on how far you want to deep dive with it. I’d probably pick it over the Anthem. heres a link, if you’re curious:

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
NAD’s new M33 has purifi amps, Dirac, and BluOS, and you can likely find a street price for it that is fairly close to the anthem, I would think. Dirac can be simple or difficult—depending on how far you want to deep dive with it. I’d probably pick it over the Anthem. heres a link, if you’re curious:

https://nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/
I am curious about that, but I would hope to see it measured before I pulled the trigger. Or at least have the specs vetted by someone more knowledgeable than myself.
Also, would the NAD M33 be available 20% or 25% off within a few months of its release? I don’t have much (any) experience with asking for deals on audio and my budget can’t stretch all the way to $5k.

HTNut1975

Forum Donor
I am curious about that, but I would hope to see it measured before I pulled the trigger. Or at least have the specs vetted by someone more knowledgeable than myself.
Also, would the NAD M33 be available 20% or 25% off within a few months of its release? I don’t have much (any) experience with asking for deals on audio and my budget can’t stretch all the way to $5k.

Yes, you can get that that kind of discount in all likelihood right now. I completely understand when it comes to the testing portion (especially with the DAC). The purifi amps are likely similar to Amir’s test, here. I think Kal at Sterephile (who posts here) plans on having a written review of the M33 out within the next month or so (you can find his acknowledgement of that fact on the forum here).

misteracng

The STR as a one box solution definitely has advantages in simplicity. As for the MiniDSP SHD, it is easy to use. All those extra features are available but you do not need to adjust them at all, they are optional. The DIRAC system is very easy to use. Going separates may be beneficial as it would give you more options if you ever want to change out one of the componenents.

ChoiceCriticism

Those of you that have an Anthem STR: What, if anything, are you using for music streaming (Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music)? The Anthem STR is almost my ideal pre-amp (ARC Genesis / Multi-sub optimization / HT Bypass), but I need to be able to easily stream via Spotify.

Considering connecting a Node 2i via digital out, but wondering if that’s overkill.

Darvis

Those of you that have an Anthem STR: What, if anything, are you using for music streaming (Spotify/Tidal/Apple Music)? The Anthem STR is almost my ideal pre-amp (ARC Genesis / Multi-sub optimization / HT Bypass), but I need to be able to easily stream via Spotify.

Considering connecting a Node 2i via digital out, but wondering if that’s overkill.
Alexanderc pointed to a new NAD amp (in an other thread) that you should consider as well: https://nadelectronics.com/product/m33-bluos-streaming-dac-amplifier/

I know I don't answer your question and I'm actually adding more headache but best you know about it :D

ex audiophile

Forum Donor

I used the Node 2i but agree it's overkill and the review here by Amir was not all that good. I used the new Audioengine B-Fi and it worked fine but does not support Amazon HD which might become important for you later. I settled on the Sonos Port digital out, their new S2 OS supports higher resolution streaming (high enough for me), the interface is very stable and easy to use, and Spotify works well with it. I have one on an STR integrated and STR pre. You can access Spotify through the Sonos app or via Spotify connect. I liked the Port enough that I bought one for my Anthem AVM60, even though it has PlayFi (which sucks). The Port is a bit pricey but very well built and often discounted to about $425. If there are issues Sonos support has been very good in my experience.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor

If I were to go the Anthem route, I would be getting a second CD player (moving what I have to another location) so the Marantz ND8006 is appealing. Also looking at the Bluesound Vault 2i. If you might ever consider multi-room, looking at something like the Bluesound or HEOS units might be useful for the future. Plus those seem to be among the most mature of the streaming ecosystems. If I were to get an NAD M33, I might forego the new CD player or just get something inexpensive as a transport.

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I use a Yamaha WXC-50 via digital out mostly because I use a WXA-50 for my living room system and can sync them if I want. Other options are Sonos connect, Heos link, Raspberry Pi with Logitech Media Server, etc. Just pick the app you like and get something with a digital out.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I use a Yamaha WXC-50 via digital out mostly because I use a WXA-50 for my living room system and can sync them if I want. Other options are Sonos connect, Heos link, Raspberry Pi with Logitech Media Server, etc. Just pick the app you like and get something with a digital out.
Yamaha claims the WXC-50 supports hi res audio, 24/192 i believe, whereas the Sonos S2 os supports only up to 24/45. If true this would be an advantage for the WXC-50 to those of us subscribing to hi res services. Do you know however if the manufacturers are referring to resolutions supported by the on board DACs of these devices or if they are referring to the straight line digital output, or both? I upgraded to a Element i to make sure I was getting hi res output but not sure I needed to, as I was using the digital output from a Sonos Port previously.

cbrents73

Audio Company
The consensus from reviews is that it is much improved. I have used both and the new version has a much cleaner and easier to use interface, and the options for altering settings are much expanded, esp in the STR components. The "quick measure" function is a really useful tool for sub location, you can actually leave the testing on while you move the sub and watch what happens to the response curve. I enjoy using the program and look for an excuse to run it :)

Hello,
I thought I would point out that you can also take snapshots while using Quick Measure - Labeled as "Take a Snapshot" near the bottom left. If you mark each position you move a speaker or sub to on the floor with tape and label them accordingly - position 1, p2, p3, and so on, each time you take a "Snapshot", it will freeze that measurement of that position and then overlay the next position's measurement about as many times as you'd like to where you can see all of your "Snapshots" to compare which position measured the best to put your sub or speaker back to that position. It's a fun tool! Quick Measure also gives real time dB SPL reading of those positions as well.
Cheers,
Chris

cbrents73

Audio Company
Good to know! The old arc was not a joy to use. Do you still need to physically connect a pc to the avr?

Hello,

With Anthem Receivers, they connect to your internet via ethernet or WiFi depending on model. Once on the network, the microphone plugs into your PC or Mac and when you open the ARC Software, it finds your Receiver on the Network and works wirelessly. You can also "Extract" old ARC Files on units back to the 310, 510, and 710. That way you're not "overlaying" the new file on top of the old. Also is particularly good for older model Paradigm Subs that used ARC. Those have a limit of about 30 or so times you could run ARC before it won't accept any more. Extracting the file prevents that from happening.

In the Screenshot (attached), ARC in Pro Mode has a lot more settings that can be adjusted globally in a system or in each individual Speaker. You can correct up to 20kHz now, but the default is still 5000Hz because below that is where most room problems occur.

It has an incredible amount of Flexibility that ARC2 never had. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have questions.

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-09-29 17.20.41.png
    Screenshot 2020-09-29 17.20.41.png
    244.1 KB · Views: 124
Top Bottom