• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem STR Integrated vs MiniDSP+Purifi

Mike-48

@Alexanderc

I just came across this thread and thought I'd respond, since I own an Anthem STR Preamp and a miniDSP SHD, and it doesn't look like you've chosen yet. My recommendation would the Anthem, either the STR preamp with an amp of your choice or the STR integrated (which I've not tried).

I have not used them in the same system or room and will not comment on perceived sound quality.

The main reasons for my recommendation are user interface and features. The Anthem feels like a unit designed by one firm from the bottom up. The SHD to me feels like a bunch of stuff pasted together. The interface is much clunkier and sometimes frustrating.

For example, upgrading software and firmware for the miniDSP is a pain. First, you have to download files from several place, then disconnect the SHD from your USB source, then connect a laptop to it with the USB cable. Then, with all those files, you search for the upgrade instructions, which miniDSP steadfastly refuses to include with the files.

To upgrade the Anthem, you download the ARC Genesis installer from Anthem and run it. If there is new firmware for the STR, it installs it automatically the next time you run ARC. If your computer and the STR both are connected to your network, the upgrade is made over the network. The same is true of making corrections with ARC. You don't have to hook anything more to the preamp itself; it's all done with your laptop and network connections. To make a correction on the miniDSP, you again have to disconnect the USB source, plug in your laptop, and proceed. Not impossible, but more of a nuisance, which in my case involves moving furniture.

When changing between correction profiles with the miniDSP, there is a gap of a few seconds. On the Anthem, it's much shorter, which makes comparisons easier. You can name profiles and inputs on the Anthem but not miniDSP.

The Anthem has DSP bass and treble controls. I love string quartets, and I can't tell you how many times I've dialed down the treble to accommodate poor recordings with performances I like. The SHD does not have those.

Finally, you are in Florida. The Anthem is made in, and is serviced in, North America. I don't believe there is a local service depot for miniDSP stuff; it has to be sent to Asia.

On the other side, Dirac is more flexible than ARC Genesis. I have gotten great results from Genesis, but if ultimate flexibility is your goal, you might prefer something that runs Dirac.

So for a more pleasant user experience, more everyday flexibility, and better serviceability, I recommend the Anthem STR line.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
@Alexanderc

I just came across this thread and thought I'd respond, since I own an Anthem STR Preamp and a miniDSP SHD, and it doesn't look like you've chosen yet. My recommendation would the Anthem, either the STR preamp with an amp of your choice or the STR integrated (which I've not tried).

I have not used them in the same system or room and will not comment on perceived sound quality.

The main reasons for my recommendation are user interface and features. The Anthem feels like a unit designed by one firm from the bottom up. The SHD to me feels like a bunch of stuff pasted together. The interface is much clunkier and sometimes frustrating.

For example, upgrading software and firmware for the miniDSP is a pain. First, you have to download files from several place, then disconnect the SHD from your USB source, then connect a laptop to it with the USB cable. Then, with all those files, you search for the upgrade instructions, which miniDSP steadfastly refuses to include with the files.

To upgrade the Anthem, you download the ARC Genesis installer from Anthem and run it. If there is new firmware for the STR, it installs it automatically the next time you run ARC. If your computer and the STR both are connected to your network, the upgrade is made over the network. The same is true of making corrections with ARC. You don't have to hook anything more to the preamp itself; it's all done with your laptop and network connections. To make a correction on the miniDSP, you again have to disconnect the USB source, plug in your laptop, and proceed. Not impossible, but more of a nuisance, which in my case involves moving furniture.

When changing between correction profiles with the miniDSP, there is a gap of a few seconds. On the Anthem, it's much shorter, which makes comparisons easier. You can name profiles and inputs on the Anthem but not miniDSP.

The Anthem has DSP bass and treble controls. I love string quartets, and I can't tell you how many times I've dialed down the treble to accommodate poor recordings with performances I like. The SHD does not have those.

Finally, you are in Florida. The Anthem is made in, and is serviced in, North America. I don't believe there is a local service depot for miniDSP stuff; it has to be sent to Asia.

On the other side, Dirac is more flexible than ARC Genesis. I have gotten great results from Genesis, but if ultimate flexibility is your goal, you might prefer something that runs Dirac.

So for a more pleasant user experience, more everyday flexibility, and better serviceability, I recommend the Anthem STR line.
I can’t thank you enough for this very thoughtful reply. You are correct that I have not made any purchases at this time (thanks to COVID-19 interfering with my plans). However, what you’re saying has reinforced my conclusions up to this point. I will absolutely let everyone know which direction I go, but sadly it will probably be several more months before that happens. Thanks again, and I continue to be grateful for the input.

zanny

Hiya, I want to bump this thread because it's the closest to my current thoughts, and also my first post on ASR after reading for hours and hours.

I'm an IT nerd from way back but only a beginner getting into audio gear, so quality audio backed up by science is why I love this forum.

@Mike-48 wrote a pretty convincing post regarding why the SHD is not the right solution for me, which I appreciate because that answers some questions I had.

I recently purchased quality floor standers and am running 4.1.2, and got rid of my centre channel as it will be hard to find a quality one to match, and my space is small.

Finding a quality AV Receiver, I never realised would be so hard! Inferior components in such expensive gear, I have never experienced this when building PCs. How hard is it to use a decent DAC? Anyway, I won't rehash what you already know.

I have a Pioneer VSX-932 which is a budget AV Receiver that does 4K/HDR/ATMOS but doesn't sound good for 2 channel stereo and doesn't have pre-outs or HT bypass, as I purchased it before I knew what I needed. I use an Nvidia Shield and stream V0 MP3 (pre-2021) and now FLAC from my Windows PC / PLEX server (essentially a NAS as it has 30TB of storage).

I have about US$4000 as max budget. My usage is 60/30/10 - TV/Movies/Music - but I want to spend 30% of the time listening to music now.

Features I need:
4K/HDR/ATMOS
Quality signal flow -> DAC, etc
Room correction
Wifi preferred, or ethernet

Nice to have - HDMI 2.1 with 120Hz, ARR, Variable refresh, etc, etc

I have a 55" LG OLED Panel in a Hisense TV, after upgrading the audio, eventually will get a bigger OLED or a projector.

Being in Australia, most things are more expensive here, and slower to arrive. In fact, the distributor of Anthem gear still hasn't shipped the MRX540, which is said to arrive this week. I'm hoping that we are so close to when Anthem should be announcing 2.1 upgrade boards, that they will start shipping the update because the current RRP is AU$2999, or US$2312.

I'm thinking MRX540 is the best compromise unit within my budget, compared to a lesser AV Receiver or a decent 4700H. As the MRX540 only has 5 channels of amplification, I would use it to run my rear speakers and atmos heights via amp matrixing. Mainly I am purchasing it for its video, room correction and quality signal flow components.

Just today I learnt about Purifi Eigentakt Amplification and it sounds like the best choice to power my fronts. My two best options are the NAD C298 for AU$2999 or a local Aussie manufacturer called March Audio who offers a similar P452 (I linked to the discussion thread on ASR) for AU$2420 or US$1866. The only clear difference is that the NAD has a gain knob, and I don't know how much this will be an issue integrating with multichannel audio.

So I'm wondering
a) If this solution will give me the sonic quality I am seeking for both home theatre experience + 2 channel stereo with my new floor standers?
b) Everything is a compromise when on a fixed budget, but is this the right or the wrong gear?

Last edited:

Mr. Bill

Alezanderc
I just read you post and several of the many responses, concerning your question of the Anthem STR integrated vs miniDSP. To be honest, I had never heard of the miniDSP and had to look it up and found only one dealer for the gear located in Montreal Quebec, Canada which is 200kms from me. Not
knowing about the miniDSP I can't comment, but I have had some listening experience with the STR integrated, after owning it for just over a year.

First, a bit of history on my gear and I for what it's worth. Up until I bought the STR, which was during the beginning of the 2020 Covid lockdown here in Canada, I had vintage McIntosh separates. The MC2105 amp paired with the C28 pre, was what I had been listening to in a 2-channel system, for the past 22 years. I had them plugged into a set of 3 way, no-name 43" tall floor-standers, made by a cabinetmaker friend of mine, a B&O turntable and a very convenient Sony carousel CD player. In other words elderly equipment, but I was as happy as a clam. Prior to that I had Kenwood and Sony products and I have always enjoyed good sounding music from all of the setups I've owned. I'm not a sound-tech and I don't follow the bar graphs, measurements, and coloured images found on various websites, nor do I really have a full understanding of what I'm seeing on said charts, like you seem to, but I DO appreciate quality sound from my speakers.

So everything was fine for the last couple of decades, until I blew one of two major capacitors in my MC2105 amp during Covid. My gear is on from the time I get up, until I go to bed, so it gets many hours of use, which is why I never owned tube gear, as I would have to keep tube inventory in my basement. Anyways, my local audio dealer was closed, but I had heard the Anthem STR integrated on previous visits and was very impressed with the sound quality coming from several Paradigm, as well as Martin Logan ESL speakers. I had been considering downsizing and the STR was a good fit compared to the 2 McIntosh pieces which were boat-anchors in disguise, and were getting heavier as I was getting older to lift. So I called my dealer, who luckily was still taking phones messages and ordered the STR except the factory in Toronto which actually makes them, was also closed, so I went on a waitlist for a few months. I tried to listen to my laptop music with wireless can speakers, which is not bad in the short term, but not long term.

In closing, let me just say that the STR integrated sounds better to me than my McIntosh separates, which I've since had repaired and sold to a very happy man who drove 568kms to get them. I know you might have more questions, but I must go as I have a 2:30 app't.

OP
Alexanderc

Alexanderc

Forum Donor
Thanks very much for describing your experience. I haven't purchased anything yet, so I would be interested to hear your experience in use. How is the user interface? Is the room correction working...correctly? That sort of thing.

Mr. Bill

I've been playing the STR none stop for over a year, as of the end of May 2021. The user interface is very consumer friendly, if that is what you mean. The ARC is fine, but will have to be recalibrated this week, as I have purchased new Paradigm speakers from the same company, delivery is this Tuesday if all goes as planned. When one changes speakers, one must re-do the ARC program. The most fun I've had, is the ability to plug my old laptop into the USB connection on the back of the amp and play internet music from around the world. The best sounding is Radio Paradise from California. There are more than enough connections that I will never use, other than the phono and CD plug-ins. I recently found out from my audio dealer, that because of the fire that destroyed the chip factory in Japan, production is delayed indefinitely of the STR in the Toronto factory as well as all the other gear that they produce at the facility. Again, a wait list has been started to add your name to. I would imagine the same is true for the miniDSP from Hong Kong as the world depends on chips for audio, tv, cars, appliances etc. So Alexanderc, you have some time to do more research and decide which product is best for you and your needs. I can, without a slight bit of hesitation, say that this integrated sounds much better than my old MC2105 combo. It also makes my old speakers sound better than ever. Although I'm still replacing them, as I've heard the new speakers played through the STR and it was a huge improvement over my cabinet-maker friend's speakers, as hard as it is to say that...it is true. After more than 20 years, there comes a time to update one's gear.

Zoltán

Hi guys!

I have been a happy owner of an STR integrated for 2 years now. This amp driving my Elac FS267 speakers. My source is a Lindemann Musicbook 20, connected with XLR cables to the STR and using it Analog direct. I would highly recomend this amp. The ARC is usefull and great option, I used to switch on when I watch movies.

rmsanger

Was looking for some advice. I just bought a set of Maggie 1.7i's and am looking for an integrated or seperates to power it. I'm considering these 4 options:

Hegel H190 (3200 new)
Marantz Model 40N (1800 used)
Anthem STR Integrated (2500 used)
2 Outlaw 2202 (700 new) + quicksilver tube linestage pre ($600 used)

I know the maggies like current and damping factor to help with control. They are rated at 4ohms but measure down to 2.8ohms so can be taxing on some amps. The Hegel seems to be the default choice with the synergy and damping. The Marantz has some cool features and flexibility and is price well. The Anthem has the most power but not most current/damping factor and it has ARC. The outlaw seems to measure very well and provides a great value plus the added upside with the tube flavor from the pre.

Not sure which direction to go in... Any thoughts?

Mike-48

Not sure which direction to go in... Any thoughts?
My thought is, this is a time when measurements and specs are not going to help you much. What you want is synergy with your Maggies, in your room and to your ears. You have a wide variety of choices listed, from tubes to SS with DRC . . . all will sound a bit different, and there is really no way to know without trying what you'll like most. I would not be posting at ASR if I didn't find objective performance important, but often, it won't take you all the way.

If you have lumpy bass in the room and want to control that, the clear choice to me would be the Anthem, with its DRC. You also get bass, treble, and sub level controls, which on the STR Pre, I find quite transparent. It's great if you want to integrate a sub, as it has digital crossovers that ARC will optimize. Its damping factor is specified as 330, so I would not worry about that. And as you note, it has a lot of power: 550 W into 2 ohms. I don't see any world in which it lacks oomph or damping. However, I have not heard the STR Integrated -- I own and enjoy the STR Preamp. If you like SS sound in general, the STR Integrated might be a great choice. In terms of user interface -- which affects all of us, every time we use a product -- Anthem has that down better than any other manufacturer I've tried (a lot!).

Your predicament is that you have good speakers. So to find the right gear to go with, you will need either to buy from a dealer (to get a home trial), or if you buy from a 3rd party, be willing to resell if the unit doesn't suit you. IME, at a certain stage of system progress, it turns out to be more effective to pay extra to a dealer than to keep buying and selling.

Good luck, and have fun!

rmsanger

My thought is, this is a time when measurements and specs are not going to help you much. What you want is synergy with your Maggies, in your room and to your ears. You have a wide variety of choices listed, from tubes to SS with DRC . . . all will sound a bit different, and there is really no way to know without trying what you'll like most. I would not be posting at ASR if I didn't find objective performance important, but often, it won't take you all the way.

If you have lumpy bass in the room and want to control that, the clear choice to me would be the Anthem, with its DRC. You also get bass, treble, and sub level controls, which on the STR Pre, I find quite transparent. It's great if you want to integrate a sub, as it has digital crossovers that ARC will optimize. Its damping factor is specified as 330, so I would not worry about that. And as you note, it has a lot of power: 550 W into 2 ohms. I don't see any world in which it lacks oomph or damping. However, I have not heard the STR Integrated -- I own and enjoy the STR Preamp. If you like SS sound in general, the STR Integrated might be a great choice. In terms of user interface -- which affects all of us, every time we use a product -- Anthem has that down better than any other manufacturer I've tried (a lot!).

Your predicament is that you have good speakers. So to find the right gear to go with, you will need either to buy from a dealer (to get a home trial), or if you buy from a 3rd party, be willing to resell if the unit doesn't suit you. IME, at a certain stage of system progress, it turns out to be more effective to pay extra to a dealer than to keep buying and selling.

Good luck, and have fun!

I bought it yesterday... Unforunately it didn't come with a remote, the mic, or the stand. Do you think it's worth reaching out to anthem to ask how much these are? Or can I use any universal IR remote? Can I just get any USB mic to pair with the anthem ARC software or do you feel strongly that I should get the OEM to ensure it works correctly?

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I bought it yesterday... Unforunately it didn't come with a remote, the mic, or the stand. Do you think it's worth reaching out to anthem to ask how much these are? Or can I use any universal IR remote? Can I just get any USB mic to pair with the anthem ARC software or do you feel strongly that I should get the OEM to ensure it works correctly?
found this one on ebay, appears to be new.

It is the older microphone but according to Anthem the new microphone has only a slight improvement in measuring the higher frequencies. Lots of folks, me included, only correct up to 400 hz so this isn't a big deal. As far as a remote if you're only using it for volume and other simple functions a universal should work fine.

Mike-48

The Anthem remote is well designed. Will the STR work with other remotes? I've never tried, but I don't see why not. There are some special functions (like the tone controls) that need to be mapped.

As to the microphone, Anthem products work only with Anthem mics. To use ARC, you will have to get one (probably from Anthem's parts department). It's hard to understand why a used amp wouldn't come with the mic or remote. But that's life, I guess.

I definitely would get the better mic that comes with the STR. (Anthem provides two mics, but I'd want the one that uses a calibration file and is meant for the "professional" mode calibration.) I believe, but don't know for sure, that Anthem has several grades of mic for its different products, and that the STR comes with the best mic they offered at that time. I definitely would contact Anthem support or parts department to get the right one. After spending thousands, one would want ARC to give as good results as possible.

The mic pictured on the eBay link from @Bombadil looks like the one. But again, I would check with Anthem, as I'd not want even a small chance of having to buy it twice. And a new mic from Anthem might be in the same price range.

(Though everyone is not as picky as I am.)

Last edited:

rmsanger

Just got a response from anthem. The kit for mic/boom/stand is $150 and the remote is $92. I assume likely the pricing on both of these is "worth" it. Also I'm now starting to look at a dual sub options to get a 2.2 setup for 80% music / 20% home theater. Wondering which of these options would pair/integrate in with the Anthem and 1.7i's best.

or

any other suggestions I should research?

rmsanger

so follow up question for the Anthem.. I've added my Holo Spring KTE dac to the chain and have noticed an improvement over the onboard Anthem dac. Next week I'm getting the remote/mic/boom combo from anthem so would like to test out ARC. By using ARC am I taking the analog sound from the Holo and then re-running it through the onbard Anthem DAC for digital processing?

1669146048051.png

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so follow up question for the Anthem.. I've added my Holo Spring KTE dac to the chain and have noticed an improvement over the onboard Anthem dac. Next week I'm getting the remote/mic/boom combo from anthem so would like to test out ARC. By using ARC am I taking the analog sound from the Holo and then re-running it through the onbard Anthem DAC for digital processing?
Even though the Holo Spring Dac measures well (is it this one? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-audio-spring-3-dac-wpreamp-prototype.22083/) I doubt that there is an audible improvement. It doesn't make any sense to pass through a DAC/ADC/DAC chain for use with ARC, this wont improve the sound over just using the built in DAC once.

rmsanger

Even though the Holo Spring Dac measures well (is it this one? https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...o-audio-spring-3-dac-wpreamp-prototype.22083/) I doubt that there is an audible improvement. It doesn't make any sense to pass through a DAC/ADC/DAC chain for use with ARC, this wont improve the sound over just using the built in DAC once.

I would prefer not to get into a debate about measurements but I can hear a noticeable difference by bypassing the internal Dac and using the Holo Spring in my Chain.

Specifically I'm running Bluesound Node (digital out) -> Holo Spring KTE (XLR out) -> Anthem STR (XLR analog in). So my question is if I activate ARC within Anthem integrated am I taking that analog signal and re-running it through the onboard dac for DSP processing?

If that is the case then yes I need to remove the Holo dac from my chain.

Last edited:

waynel

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would prefer not to get into a debate about measurements but I can hear a noticeable difference by bypassing the internal Dac and using the Holo Spring in my Chain.
I don't doubt that you believe that.

So my question is if I activate ARC within Anthem integrated am I taking that analog signal and re-running it through the onboard dac for DSP processing?
Yes , one extra DAC and one extra ADC

Mike-48

If you run any analog signal into the STR, my understanding is that it will be digitized if you use any of the DSP features. Those include
  • ARC (room correction)
  • Bass-treble-sub level controls. I'm not sure about balance
  • Bass management (HP and LP filters)
For that reason, I don't see any benefit to using an external DAC. It adds an extra DA-AD cycle to the signal chain, and you will wind up using the Anthem DAC anyway.

mglobe

Forum Donor
I mean, with the SHD you run Dirac as for every other dirac enabled device. I don't think you want to generate your own parametric eq with rew right? So leave alone custom biquad etc, you want Dirac and that is straightforward.
This!

Top Bottom