• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem MRX 740 - power amp recommendations for atmos height channels

MidwestDude8q5

Would a Topping PA3s be a good power amp to run a pair of Sonance MAG6R Atmos ceiling off of Anthem MRX740? What should the volume dial on the power amp be set at to interface with the AVR?

Fronts: KEF R3 + R2C
L/R Surround: KEF Q150
Dolby Atmos: Sonance MAG6R

Plan was to run either Denon 3700h or 4700h. Now I am thinking about going with a Anthem MRX740. I understand the optimal setup would be to get a beefy amp to power the R3s...but that will have to come later due to budget constraints. For now my thought is going with a cheap class D to power a pair of Atmos ceiling speakers Is the way to go.

Thoughts? Alternative recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a look at the mrx1140 specs and get an amp that is close to their class d modules used for the 6 height+rear channels.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Would a Topping PA3s be a good power amp to run a pair of Sonance MAG6R Atmos ceiling off of Anthem MRX740? What should the volume dial on the power amp be set at to interface with the AVR?

Fronts: KEF R3 + R2C
L/R Surround: KEF Q150
Dolby Atmos: Sonance MAG6R

Plan was to run either Denon 3700h or 4700h. Now I am thinking about going with a Anthem MRX740. I understand the optimal setup would be to get a beefy amp to power the R3s...but that will have to come later due to budget constraints. For now my thought is going with a cheap class D to power a pair of Atmos ceiling speakers Is the way to go.

Thoughts? Alternative recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Maybe... It only makes about 25~30 W into 8 ohms so might be underpowered even for overheads, but of course depends upon how close you are to them and how loudly you listen. I have not followed smaller amps so no idea the alternatives, sorry.

I would start with the amp's volume control set to max and see where the Anthem sets the levels. If it is well within the trim range, leave it there; if there is more than say 6 to 10 dB of attenuation, then turn it down a little if you wish.

Top Bottom