• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem MRX 1140 whacky level cal

cct

I'm trying to get my new Anthem MRX 1140 calibrated. I ran ARC Genesis and played some movie content and at volume setting of 0 dB it was obviously too loud. I want to calibrate to 85 dBc, for -20 dBFS pink noise, same as cinema. I'd expect to then normally play content at -15 dB on the volume control, but could run up to cinema level at 0 dB volume if I want.
I'm now using REW to calibrate levels. The REW generator can be set for -20 dBFS pink noise, either full bandwidth or 500-2000 Hz (speaker cal setting). Using the ASIO4ALL audio driver REW can be sent to feed one of 8 HDMI PCM channels. HDMI 01 is Left channel. REW has a Sound Level Meter (SLM) and using the UMIK-1 calibrated mic I can read SPL pretty accurately. With this setup I can set the volume control to 0 dB, and trim main 7 bed channels to 85 dBc. This method of calibration give levels 10 dB lower than ARC gave me and sounds like cinema levels. When I now play the AVR internal test noise I read 65 dBc, meaning that if I followed the Anthem directions and trimmed the channels for 75 dBc on the internal noise I'd again be actually tuning for 95 dBc, or 10 dB hotter than cinema levels! Calibrating with the internal noise generator to 75 dBc would match the calibration done by ARC, but both running 10 dB hot when many home theater cals are done 10 dB low (compared to cinema). Something clearly is wrong but I can't figure out what it is. I tried doing a master reset of the AVR (pull and restore power cord, turn unit on with the menu button pressed). Reset up everything and same problem.

Frontino

No one should use internal tones in AVRs or their Auto EQ for setting reference level; those are totally unreliable.

You must download the original Dolby noise from The Dub Stage and play it into each front channel individually, unfiltered for equalization and with a 4th order Butterworth bandpass filter from 500-2000 Hz and leveled up to -20 dBFS RMS for calibration at the listening position to exactly 85.3 dBC or 85 dBA.

Done and done.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here are two videos on how to use ARC Genesis to set up your Anthem. try these out.

Audioholics

Audio advice

GalZohar

No one should use internal tones in AVRs or their Auto EQ for setting reference level; those are totally unreliable.
But, if I understand correctly, he got the same strange result with Arc setting the levels automatically! Arc, as a capable room EQ system, is expected to get the correct reference levels, so something seems wrong...

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm trying to get my new Anthem MRX 1140 calibrated. I ran ARC Genesis and played some movie content and at volume setting of 0 dB it was obviously too loud. I want to calibrate to 85 dBc, for -20 dBFS pink noise, same as cinema. I'd expect to then normally play content at -15 dB on the volume control, but could run up to cinema level at 0 dB volume if I want.
I don't understand why you are trying to calibrate to a specific volume setting on your AVR? The specific volume setting that will be comfortable for you will depend on the speaker efficiency, listening distance, input signal level, whether you are listening in full surround or 2ch, and your personal hearing sensitivity and comfort level. I generally listen to stereo music and video games at around -35db volume setting and Atmos movies at around -30db volume setting in my setup. Anything louder than that and it's uncomfortable for my kids.

Frontino

It's called Reference Level because it's a master level that is meant to be used universally from mixing to mastering to playback environments.

L, R, C at 105 dBC, LFE at 115 dBC and surrounds at 102 dBC.

Of course, it can't be used with majority of home electronics, speakers, wives and kids.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's called Reference Level because it's a master level that is meant to be used universally from mixing to mastering to playback environments.

L, R, C at 105 dBC, LFE at 115 dBC and surrounds at 102 dBC.

Of course, it can't be used with majority of home electronics, speakers, wives and kids.
Which make it irrelevant for calibrating or listening to your home theater. ARC sets its own calibration levels when running it's test tones. The only level you need to set manually is your subwoofer level and you can use Quick Measure mode to set that level.

Frontino

Wrong. It is relevant because people keep saying "I listen at -30 dB from reference" when it's clearly inaccurate and they're actually listening at -30 dB from the AVR/AVP nominal 0 dB because their proprietary auto EQ do not follow the decades old Dolby/SMPTE standard calibration to set reference level. They just fudge the audio with terrible EQ and cause clipping and phase distortion.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry. I am not understanding you. How is calibrating at 105-115 db relevant to listening in a home environment at 70-80 db? I agree people misunderstand that -30db on the volume knob is -30db from the AVR full volume. But that just seems like like a misnomer. Not a reason to dismiss the built in room correction software. Please help me understand your point.

Frontino

The OP wants volume 0 to be Cinema reference level because he wants to use it, but ARC Genesis does not calibrate accurately for that, so he must do it manually.

That's all.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The OP wants volume 0 to be Cinema reference level because he wants to use it, but ARC Genesis does not calibrate accurately for that, so he must do it manually.

That's all.
Ah. But why attempt this? I'm missing why the OP wants to try and make 0 be cinema reference.

Dan1210

I'm now using REW to calibrate levels. The REW generator can be set for -20 dBFS pink noise, either full bandwidth or 500-2000 Hz (speaker cal setting). Using the ASIO4ALL audio driver REW can be sent to feed one of 8 HDMI PCM channels. HDMI 01 is Left channel. REW has a Sound Level Meter (SLM) and using the UMIK-1 calibrated mic I can read SPL pretty accurately. With this setup I can set the volume control to 0 dB, and trim main 7 bed channels to 85 dBc. This method of calibration give levels 10 dB lower than ARC gave me and sounds like cinema levels. When I now play the AVR internal test noise I read 65 dBc, meaning that if I followed the Anthem directions and trimmed the channels for 75 dBc on the internal noise I'd again be actually tuning for 95 dBc, or 10 dB hotter than cinema levels! Calibrating with the internal noise generator to 75 dBc would match the calibration done by ARC, but both running 10 dB hot when many home theater cals are done 10 dB low (compared to cinema). Something clearly is wrong but I can't figure out what it is. I tried doing a master reset of the AVR (pull and restore power cord, turn unit on with the menu button pressed). Reset up everything and same problem.
I had this same issue just when the avm 70 came out, i managed to use a workaround which worked well. Unfortunately my inuke sub amp died so i have to re calibrate everything again. I had hoped they resolved this issue but after some sessions today it still calibrates way too hot and the workaround from before doesnt seem to work either. This matters because it sets the gains way too high which reduces headroom, after messing around for a few hours today i have given up. I will have to calibrate it with rew, just so weird that the anthem does this 0db is reference on most other products ive owned but on this anthem reference is -20db.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which make it irrelevant for calibrating or listening to your home theater. ARC sets its own calibration levels when running it's test tones. The only level you need to set manually is your subwoofer level and you can use Quick Measure mode to set that level.

You don't need to set the subwoofer level manually either, unless you meant to avoid it being too high or too low to begin with depending on the sub's vol setting prior. It seems that people tend to want to do their own thing manually, even using capable system that is designed to work "auto".:D

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

That's all.

I haven't check if ARCG would do that (cal to ref level at vol 0), but going by ears, I think you are right, Anthem's volume 0 post calibration would likely be much louder than THX cinema reference level. Audyssey does calibrate to reference level at volume 0, at least that's what it would aim to achieve, may be that's what might have led some new Anthem AVR owners to think Anthem's would do the same.

Dan1210

My assumption is that by doing this my external amplifiers are getting higher gain which in turn reduces headroom. The workaround i spoke of sounded considerably better to my ears. It could play louder and with less distortion.
Arc is fantastic but it sets the calibration tones way too high.

Top Bottom