• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

JRS

Major Contributor
Those are interesting but don't provide any room correction.
A wide selection of advanced features, including our latest generation EQFlex automatic room correction and loudspeaker equalization system.
Unsure what it does or how, but it has some.

Dal1as

Quick question. I like the Anthem as it's priced similar to the Monolith processor. Can the Anthem do seperate eq before and after room correction which would have a 250hz cutoff... like the htp1? ...and does it even matter if I will be using REW, mic, and building the room with all baffled speakers for a 7.4.4 system. Do the mini-dsps work to eq the bed and atmos layer if you are using seperate amplification?

Dan1210

I have an Anthem Avm 70 en route do we know when the new Anthem products would have been affected by the shortage of AKM dacs? I want to be sure the version i get is the same as reviewed here.
Cheers!

xyvyx

Forum Donor
Why so sure those companies will make a better AVR/AVP?
Maybe the price will be better, hopefully.
But, there are so many things going on in AV products... codecs, dsp, video processing...
Do you really believe they will make a good reliable product on the first try?

And why are you so sure that the SINAD will be better? Most AV signal is finally routed through a DSP chip and who knows, maybe no one can make a better SINAD with current tech.
Finally, this AVP has 108 db of dynamic range and 99 SINAD. Do you really need more? Can you hear the difference in 120db vs 100db?

Don't get me wrong, I wish more companies made AV products, because competition makes better product and great respect to Topping, JDS, SMSL for their engineering and dedication. We just don't have any evidence that they will make an AV product so much better then the rest.
I've been thinking about this for awhile... while I'm very likely to replace my Emotiva with an AVM70 in the next few months, I'd love to see a collaboration between some other smaller players to compete with the current medium/large fish.

While this should maybe be in a separate topic, my dream AVP would be created by a Topping + MiniDSP + HD Fury team. Topping knows how to create a clean signal path, the MiniDSP folks seem to be good at modular DSP decoding & DIRAC processing while the HD Fury products show a mastery of the HDMI idiosyncrasies that few AVR manufacturers have managed to get right.

Dan1210

I recently bought this unit coming from a Denon X4700 used in pre amp mode to a Nad M27. I wasn’t expecting much but it is actually a nice upgrade, not massively so but it does seem to have given me more headroom with a larger soundstage, more cinematic if you like…
I think Arc does a better job with the bass too.
Was it worth the premium over the Denon? At sensible listening levels i think you would be hard pressed to pick one over the other but closer to reference the differences are apparent.
Overall im quite impressed, this is my first time owning an Anthem product after testing the original MRX years ago.

Beast76

I recently bought this unit coming from a Denon X4700 used in pre amp mode to a Nad M27. I wasn’t expecting much but it is actually a nice upgrade, not massively so but it does seem to have given me more headroom with a larger soundstage, more cinematic if you like…
I think Arc does a better job with the bass too.
Was it worth the premium over the Denon? At sensible listening levels i think you would be hard pressed to pick one over the other but closer to reference the differences are apparent.
Overall im quite impressed, this is my first time owning an Anthem product after testing the original MRX years ago.
How would a processor provide you with more headroom using identical equipment after the processor? Less EQ with a better result?

Dan1210

How would a processor provide you with more headroom using identical equipment after the processor? Less EQ with a better result?
I was thinking the same thing, but i can listen louder and with less fatigue with the Anthem.
I would think the Anthem is doing more eq and perhaps is providing a cleaner output with less clipping close to reference? I thought my system had reached its limits but the Anthem has provided an improvement.
I really didn’t expect an improvement and had fully expected to be returning the unit but it just won me over. The extra headroom is welcome as i was thinking about swapping my full klipsch thx ultra 2 set for some Procellas. I thought the tweeters had reached their limit and was looking to compression drivers for some extra volume, surprisingly the Anthem has given me that.
I tried many variations with Audyssey and it always sounded great, best results were limited to 500hz, the Anthem was an itch i just had to scratch…

Attachments

• 5E93B6E0-05FB-4F31-B242-6DF09077AC2C.jpeg
    5E93B6E0-05FB-4F31-B242-6DF09077AC2C.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:

Dal1as

I was thinking the same thing, but i can listen louder and with less fatigue with the Anthem.
I would think the Anthem is doing more eq and perhaps is providing a cleaner output with less clipping close to reference? I thought my system had reached its limits but the Anthem has provided an improvement.
I really didn’t expect an improvement and had fully expected to be returning the unit but it just won me over. The extra headroom is welcome as i was thinking about swapping my full klipsch thx ultra 2 set for some Procellas. I thought the tweeters had reached their limit and was looking to compression drivers for some extra volume, surprisingly the Anthem has given me that.
I tried many variations with Audyssey and it always sounded great, best results were limited to 500hz, the Anthem was an itch i just had to scratch…

Nice room. I wonder what the pre out voltage is on the Denon compared to the Anthem?

Newman

Major Contributor
So, if a height channel over the screen or TV is desired, does this unit support that? Someone was talking about lacking an equivalent to Auro FH channel...

Sam Ash

Thanks Amir, nice review. Out of interest, did you get to review the MUSE?

tparm

Forum Donor
@amirm Are we still to expect measurements of the unconverted analog signal? Just curious. Thanks

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Hopefully, he still has the unit and is working with them to better the product. The MRX740 is my first Anthem unit, it is very nice. Glad I got it when I did now I think they are almost pushing 3K.....

mjharden

Thanks Amir.

This looks decent for the application, but not good enough to sway me from a Denon AVR. I do like the layout of the back.
I’m ignorant when it comes to all these measurements. I’m debating between Denon 8500 and Anthem AVM70. Which measures better on paper? I plan on using external amplification, so I don’t need the amps in the Denon. Thanks!

Newman

Major Contributor
You would be better off basing your purchase on which features and specifications best suit your needs. Both units measure well enough that it isn’t a concern. OTOH matching the line level outputs to the needs of your external amps is a good idea.

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m ignorant when it comes to all these measurements. I’m debating between Denon 8500 and Anthem AVM70. Which measures better on paper? I plan on using external amplification, so I don’t need the amps in the Denon. Thanks!
They are pretty close, but the Denon is slightly better. I might base my decision on the room correction software, streaming software, the HDMI inputs and outputs, and whether I wanted XLR outputs. Really you won't go wrong with performance on either one. If you know you won't use the amps and you want the XLRs this isn't a bad option. It would go nicely with the right all Genelec setup or similar.

mjharden

They are pretty close, but the Denon is slightly better. I might base my decision on the room correction software, streaming software, the HDMI inputs and outputs, and whether I wanted XLR outputs. Really you won't go wrong with performance on either one. If you know you won't use the amps and you want the XLRs this isn't a bad option. It would go nicely with the right all Genelec setup or similar.
Thanks! Funny you mentioned Genelec’s…I was looking at those or the JTR 212’s. I wish someone would send @amirm some 212’s. I can see why not though, as they weigh as much as refrigerators ;-)

Descartes

Major Contributor
Also Anthem’s website has a big banner on the front:

“During the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 we have reduced both staff and hours of operation. Because of this, all calls may not be answered. For all technical support related inquires we encourage you to email [email protected]. Please expect a slightly longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding during this time.”

Reads like the company is not doing very well! Maybe prime target for an acquisition!

Top Bottom