• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

tparm

Forum Donor
You can take one set of measurements across all the speakers in your setup and use them across the four profiles.

While I currently have ARC disabled when I used it I have a home theater and stereo profile but both are based on the same measurement run.
This was very helpful, thanks. The UI and flexibility (and effectiveness) of ARC is truly amazing.

One note, the only way to have a true analog path is is to select "no" in the input set up menu for the convert analog setting. In the past I've always used a pure analog path from my Gustard X16 for 2CH music, however, with ARC limited to 500Hz and converting the signal to digital I may be a convert myself.... I also added a 2.2 channel profile that I plan on playing with this afternoon. All is to say, the Anthem, is a pleasure to use and performance (including SQ) is excellent.

eycatcher

Looks like a good baseline for performance. Would be intersting to see what the performance delta is when you enable room correction on processors / AVR's included in the reviews.

tparm

Forum Donor
This sort of speaks to the questions about room correction, need for PEQs, 2CH performance and sound quality of the AVM 70. I’ve gone from an AVR 850 to a AVR-X4700 to AVR-A110 to Emotiva RMC-1L to the AVM 70 (this Monday). Firstly, the web UI is thing of genius and I love the main page allows for easy switching if inputs, speaker profiles and listening modes. Also, ARC works extremely well and the flexibility it provides is better than the others I have used (Dirac and Audyssey).

For 2CH I typically use a pure analog path through a Gustard X16. For fun I created an ARC profile for 2CH, digitized the signal and used room correction. For the first time ever this sounds better to me than the pure analog path. The only way to have a non-digitized signal with the Anthem is to choose “no” for convert digital option in the analog input set up menu; there is no Pure Direct, Direct, or Reference Stereo listening mode.

The analog path with the Gustard inline was ever so slightly more open, center stage more pronounced and bass more forceful than with ARC engaged. ARC opened the soundstage a bit, made the bass more musical and tidy if you will and the sound was overall more cohesive. I preferred it so much that I also created a HiFi 2.2 profile where I integrated my subs in sealed mode for 2 channel playback with ARC engaged. It is stunning. The Gustard has been relegated to my garage system.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Impossible to find it in stock!

Also I heard from a couple of dealers that they may cancel the AVM90!!

Krobar

Also, ARC works extremely well and the flexibility it provides is better than the others I have used (Dirac and Audyssey).

What makes ARC more flexible than Dirac in current products?

tparm

Forum Donor
What makes ARC more flexible than Dirac in current products?
Could be my understanding of Dirac but the ability to take a single set of measurements with arc and apply them to multiple profiles, editing the speaker list and measurements per profile, and the quick measure capability basically replaces the need for REW (unless you use MiniDSP which I do not). Plus the “report” you can produce makes reviewing the settings easier.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Could be my understanding of Dirac but the ability to take a single set of measurements with arc and apply them to multiple profiles, editing the speaker list and measurements per profile, and the quick measure capability basically replaces the need for REW (unless you use MiniDSP which I do not). Plus the “report” you can produce makes reviewing the settings easier.
I have only used Dirac trial for a PC, but I do wish you had the ability to customize the EQ portion of ARC easier like Dirac. Full discloser I may need to focus more on understanding ARC's terms inside the app. There is definitely a learning curve with both apps. I'll include a screenshot of ARC.

1635082078123.png

Krobar

I think you are comparing different generations. Dirac offer 3 profiles on Harman products and 5 or 6 on the Monoprice these days. It also offers adjustable crossovers in 1hz increments with visualisation tools to help with setting them (This is without the paid BC module). Not sure on the summary / settings behaviour but looking at the post above it seems to vary based on opinion.

tparm

Forum Donor
I think you are comparing different generations. Dirac offer 3 profiles on Harman products and 5 or 6 on the Monoprice these days. It also offers adjustable crossovers in 1hz increments with visualisation tools to help with setting them (This is without the paid BC module). Not sure on the summary / settings behaviour but looking at the post above it seems to vary based on opinion.
It is 100% my opinion based on my experience.

rickyhgarcia

I have been waiting for this review since the AVM-70 was announced. This unit has the features and connections that I want, and a perfect fit for my current setup of amps and speakers. All other units that would fit my needs are at least $1500 higher than the AVM-70. What was left was good measurements that this review provided.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at Anthem's info, it seems AVM 60 has ARC Mobile but the AVM 70 does not, rather it has ARC Genesis. Is that correct?

nathan

You are correct if you remove the word "rather." Iirc, both have Genesis (computer based ARC measurement and calculation) but they have dropped the option to use a mobile device to measure and calculate ARC on the latest models.

This is probably because few people used the mobile app to run ARC, but it’s a shame because it actually was a quick and easy and effective way to run ARC if you were okay with default choices.

Anyway with the 60 you get two ways to run arc, mobile and computer.

With the 70 you can only use a computer.

Computer in this case =Genesis.

Note that some features of Genesis are only available on the 70 and not the 60 iirc like subwoofer phase and distance automation….though that appears to be a promised feature rather than a released one when last I looked.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
What sort of controls and adjustments are available on Anthem Logic?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looking at Anthem's info, it seems AVM 60 has ARC Mobile but the AVM 70 does not, rather it has ARC Genesis. Is that correct?

I think Paradigm upgraded every component that had ARC 1M to ARC Genesis. That includes Anthem MRX/AVM, MartinLogan Forte/Unison and the Paradigm versions of those, etc.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Why are stereo AMPs like NAD M33 and MiniDSP SHD Power on this list?
Because they have signal processing capability including room EQ so they are an option for some. But importantly show that having these features doesn't mandate low performance.

Newman

Major Contributor
...and yet NAD can't carry the M33 performance over to the M17 v2

Anthem's AVM70 seems to handily match or surpass the M17 v2 on the ASR test bench

Last edited:
Top Bottom