• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

fernane

Thanks. Seems like a bit of an omission. Not everyone will want manual EQ but it would have been a nice feature to have in their web UI.
Adding PEQ in the web UI would change the curves as well.would require recalculation of the curve.. I believe they have this in ARC as it would need to be run on a laptop where there is processing power to run those calculations, putting it in a web UI would offer different experiences to each user based on devices used.. I don't believe that would end up being a net positive for the user base.. thinking out loud here.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Adding PEQ in the web UI would change the curves as well.would require recalculation of the curve.. I believe they have this in ARC as it would need to be run on a laptop where there is processing power to run those calculations, putting it in a web UI would offer different experiences to each user based on devices used.. I don't believe that would end up being a net positive for the user base.. thinking out loud here.
With the others mentioned (at least the stormaudio/Trinnov you can do pre room correction eq, post correction eq, or simply do manual eq. Or a combination such as using room correction below a frequency (like 300hz etc) then manual eq above. My use case is using room EQ below 300hz and manual eq above to get the results you want. Manual EQ is just another tool but can be a good one if you don’t want an automatic eq working on higher frequencies.

TimoJ

With the others mentioned (at least the stormaudio/Trinnov you can do pre room correction eq, post correction eq, or simply do manual eq. Or a combination such as using room correction below a frequency (like 300hz etc) then manual eq above. My use case is using room EQ below 300hz and manual eq above to get the results you want. Manual EQ is just another tool but can be a good one if you don’t want an automatic eq working on higher frequencies.
Monoprice HTP-1 also allows all this. Realtime adjustment via the webui.

Reactions: JRS

tparm

Forum Donor
Not sure about other models but this isn’t possible with Emotiva, it’s ether Dirac or PEQ, can’t use them simultaneously.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monoprice HTP-1 also allows all this. Realtime adjustment via the webui.
I listed the HTP-1 in my first post about it but wasn't 100% sure so left it out in my second one. Nice to hear it is in the HTP-1.

Reactions: JRS

hyfynut

Excellent performance, but not quite what I hoped for, in a pre-pro for $3800 USD.... many channels, many features, but the should be a clear class above AVRs with onboard amplification.

MRX 1140 also has 15.2 pre-outs (not balanced) and 11 amp channels.... ditching those should lead to a much steeper discount than $200. I guess we are paying for the fancy front panel display? Is this a good use of our money, especially when many pre-pros are tucked away?
The front panel display is the same on all the new Anthem AVRs and Pre-Pros. I agree that the price difference shoud be greater than $200.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good set up and room treatments yield far better results
Oh yes...though many folks don't have the flexibility for best results. Or choose not to for aesthetic or practical reasons.
- What do you think of NAD pre/pros?
- Does Dirac have any adjustability (like the Audyssey App from Denon/Marantz)? Or does it depend on the flavor?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure about other models but this isn’t possible with Emotiva, it’s ether Dirac or PEQ, can’t use them simultaneously.
With Stormaudio you can do PEQ before Dirac or After (you have to copy the preset first). Interesting how they all do things a little differently.

Hai-Fri. Audio

Forum Donor
I’ve had the AVM70 since late January (first shipment) and have had very few issues. Nearly all have been addressed by the software updates since then.

Subjectively this is a great sounding processor. Recently worked my way through the Harry Potter films and my jaw was on the floor with those DTS:X mixes. I’ve gotten nothing but joy from this processor.
Couldn't agree more.

Pre-ordered this for my dad end of last year - got the first batch as well. Only hiccup was the first few months of ARC not working.

Other than that, it's been a breeze. the operating interface is clear and easy to navigate for a semi-tech-literate septuagenarian, and the web-based settings are super responsive and easy to use as well. I can access the settings remotely with ease now. less gas, less time, more money for frivolous hifi purchases. : D

thank goodness Amir didn't tear it to shreds.

tparm

Forum Donor
Morning! Picked up an AVM 70 over the weekend and I need help troubleshooting an ARC issue. I have both the latest version of ARC and firmware for the AVM, I have successfully run a few quick measurements (which is a cool feature BTW) but every time I try to launch full ARC it finds my processor and begins counting down and crashes ultimately closing the page. The Anthem web UI works brilliantly.

My AVM is connected via Ethernet and my laptop is using wi-fi.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Morning! Picked up an AVM 70 over the weekend and I need help troubleshooting an ARC issue. I have both the latest version of ARC and firmware for the AVM, I have successfully run a few quick measurements (which is a cool feature BTW) but every time I try to launch full ARC it finds my processor and begins counting down and crashes ultimately closing the page. The Anthem web UI works brilliantly.

My AVM is connected via Ethernet and my laptop is using wi-fi.

Any ideas?

Thanks
The Anthem enthusiasts page may be a good place to ask questions: https://www.facebook.com/groups/333076264312954/

tparm

Forum Donor
Update: I did a factory reset and ARC ran fine. The reset retained the current firmware, apparently having the inputs and speaker Settings selected kicks ARC calibration out. So, power on the device, run ARC and then apply to and set up the AVM 70 via web UI (which as I mentioned is amazing). Regretfully I had ARC preference set to Auto thinking maybe that would work before I did the reset and forgot to change it, so I’ll have to rerun all three profiles later.

BdoUK

Update: I did a factory reset and ARC ran fine. The reset retained the current firmware, apparently having the inputs and speaker Settings selected kicks ARC calibration out. So, power on the device, run ARC and then apply to and set up the AVM 70 via web UI (which as I mentioned is amazing). Regretfully I had ARC preference set to Auto thinking maybe that would work before I did the reset and forgot to change it, so I’ll have to rerun all three profiles later.
You can take one set of measurements across all the speakers in your setup and use them across the four profiles.

While I currently have ARC disabled when I used it I have a home theater and stereo profile but both are based on the same measurement run.

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Eh, those measurements do not impress me. It's sad to me that they're getting a pass since it's an AVR which all seem to be subpar compared to the current SOTA dacs.
If only 100 dB or 120 dB SINAD actually mattered in any way, I would agree. This processor will sound much better in real life since it does things that can actually be heard, such as restore a higher fidelity signal with eq etc etc.

JasonC331

Forum Donor
Yes, I meant the count as parallel channels of processing, not that they are all wideband.
Are you able to reveal what firmware you have on that unit? Would like to see if they have you with an early release, The codebase is shared with the MRX line.

Top Bottom