• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

JRiggs

Still not there in the recent firmware upgrade. When I emailed customer support the said "coming soon..." If that's a deal maker/breaker for you I would not recommend getting the Anthem as it's been a year of "coming soon" So choices are chromecast, spotify connect, airplay. Those all work fine and sound great though. I'm actually finding myself listening to Tidal Atmos music through my fireTV a bunch on the Anthem. It sounds great and there is a ton of content coming out in Atmos all the time.
It’s been more than a year.

Roon is a very special and specific software. After using it for more than two years now, and the added mobile option recently launched, it has become a must have for me.

A single, or for that matter, multiple streaming services can’t do what Roon can.

Granted, you can get a Roon ready streamer and connect it to the Anthem, but that’s more cost…

At this point I wonder if these Anthem units will ever be Roon ready…

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s been more than a year.

Roon is a very special and specific software. After using it for more than two years now, and the added mobile option recently launched, it has become a must have for me.

A single, or for that matter, multiple streaming services can’t do what Roon can.

Granted, you can get a Roon ready streamer and connect it to the Anthem, but that’s more cost…

At this point I wonder if these Anthem units will ever be Roon ready…
Understand, not downplaying the value of Roon. I just caution anyone buying the Anthem to make the decision assuming you won't have it rather than assuming you will.

Descartes

Major Contributor
It will be interesting to see how the new Denon and Marantz mesures vs the Anthem!
Unfortunately Amir has still not received the AVM90!!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It will be interesting to see how the new Denon and Marantz mesures vs the Anthem!
Unfortunately Amir has still not received the AVM90!!
@Buckeye Amps is selling his. If someone is willing, when he sells it, it could drop by Amir’s offices for a layover.

Parakos

I'm very interested in a re-review of the AVM 70 (or the 90) now when they have moved to ESS DACs. Arcam/JBL use these so will be interesting to see if Anthem has managed to solve the issues Arcam was not able to.

MegaHerzz

Does anyone know how to play 192khz on Apple MacBook connected to avm70 with hdmi? I can’t get beyond 48khz not sure why!

Bigbro

yes I do. First you subscribe to a trustworthy streamer like I have Qobuz. Then you buy a cable with on the one site a thunderbolt connection(if it is a mac book air)With a mac book pro you probably have an hdmI output. You attach the cable to one of the hdmi ports of the avm 70. So air users should get a cable with on the one site thunderbolt annd the other site hdmi just like I have. Then you download the app MIDI Configuration. Here you can choose the bitrate etc. Choose 8 channels 24/192 and stereo.

There you are. If you select a song that is 192 khz the number will appear in te screen.

MegaHerzz

yes I do. First you subscribe to a trustworthy streamer like I have Qobuz. Then you buy a cable with on the one site a thunderbolt connection(if it is a mac book air)With a mac book pro you probably have an hdmI output. You attach the cable to one of the hdmi ports of the avm 70. So air users should get a cable with on the one site thunderbolt annd the other site hdmi just like I have. Then you download the app MIDI Configuration. Here you can choose the bitrate etc. Choose 8 channels 24/192 and stereo.

There you are. If you select a song that is 192 khz the number will appear in te screen.
I guess that's what I am going to do as it seems all the people who got the 192khz working, used an HDMI and thunderbolt on the other end. I have 2 different 4K/60hz adaptors thunderbolt to HDMI/DP ports both show up to 48khz. what puzzles me though that those adaptors support 18gbps, how on earth 192khz BW is an issue which is an HDMI v1.0!! anyways I will buy one and hopefully works.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Daka

So if I understand correctly new AVM 70 has ess 9038qm DAC, and ARC downsamples only to 96 instead of usual 48?

I have Arcam AVR20 was thinking to upgrade to pre/pro as I use external amps for my 7.1.4. Was thinking AV40 but not sure if it’s worth extra 1300.

Also new Marantz looks nice but don’t know yet if sonically would compare - that is cinema 40 or Av10 - no info on DACs so far.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
So if I understand correctly new AVM 70 has ess 9038qm DAC, and ARC downsamples only to 96 instead of usual 48?

I have Arcam AVR20 was thinking to upgrade to pre/pro as I use external amps for my 7.1.4. Was thinking AV40 but not sure if it’s worth extra 1300.

Also new Marantz looks nice but don’t know yet if sonically would compare - that is cinema 40 or Av10 - no info on DACs so far.
No, the AVM70 does not have the ES9038Q2M. At launch time, according to the marketing information, it was the AK4490 but after the factory fire, they apparently had to switch to a different one. There does not seem to be any confirmed information on which IC they switched to.

I seem to remember reading it from somewhere that they went with the ES9010K2M but I could be wrong, my distant memory is not reliable. Sadly and sort of expectedly, when they switch to something better they will tell and brag about it, but if they switch to something not as good, then they tend not to talk about it.

Daka

No, the AVM70 does not have the ES9038Q2M. At launch time, according to the marketing information, it was the AK4490 but after the factory fire, they apparently had to switch to a different one. There does not seem to be any confirmed information on which IC they switched to.

I seem to remember reading it from somewhere that they went with the ES9010K2M but I could be wrong, my distant memory is not reliable. Sadly and sort of expectedly, when they switch to something better they will tell and brag about it, but if they switch to something not as good, then they tend not to talk about it.
Someone mentioned this in this thread to be the same DAC as in avm90… if true would be impressive but hard to believe they would do so

Vacceo

Major Contributor

If you can wait a bit, hold on for the reviews on the upcoming Primare AVR´s and AVP´s. They run on Dirac just like your current Arcam and perhaps they may give you the performance and features you´re wanting to upgrade to.

Daka

If you can wait a bit, hold on for the reviews on the upcoming Primare AVR´s and AVP´s. They run on Dirac just like your current Arcam and perhaps they may give you the performance and features you´re wanting to upgrade to.
Thanks, never heard of them, will check them out.

Krobar

Thanks, never heard of them, will check them out.
I had a Primare prepro quite a few years ago, feature wise they are basic but they seem to take some genuine care with the audio design and the build quality was very nice too. Of course audio design care/preformance is just conjecture until measured.

The SP25 and SP35 due next year look interesting:

An AV40 will offer improvement if you listen above 70 volume (This is >1V where the AV40 does not suffer performance degradation unlike the AVR20).

Last edited:

Daka

I had a Primare prepro quite a few years ago, feature wise they are basic but they seem to take some genuine care with the audio design and the build quality was very nice too. Of course audio design care/preformance is just conjecture until measured.

The SP25 and SP35 due next year look interesting:

An AV40 will offer improvement if you listen above 70 volume (This is >1V where the AV40 does not suffer performance degradation unlike the AVR20).
70 seems to be crazy loud - with no calibration external amps with 25db gain at volume 55 hits 80dbs?

kmidst

I see a lot of people making posts about Roon. Not to knock it, but there are plenty of ways to manage your music library. Personally I went out and bought a Mac Mini with 512gb storage. That's connected to my AVR and sitting on the ent center at all times. Easy just to switch to it and play literally any music or streaming app I want. Also since it's a computer, any software can be used to edit music file metadata and such and there's many softwares which will display the album art or even lyrics while music is playing. Or just let the computer screen saver activate while music is playing. Lots of other options too, but that's what I'm doing.

Daka

I see a lot of people making posts about Roon. Not to knock it, but there are plenty of ways to manage your music library. Personally I went out and bought a Mac Mini with 512gb storage. That's connected to my AVR and sitting on the ent center at all times. Easy just to switch to it and play literally any music or streaming app I want. Also since it's a computer, any software can be used to edit music file metadata and such and there's many softwares which will display the album art or even lyrics while music is playing. Or just let the computer screen saver activate while music is playing. Lots of other options too, but that's what I'm doing.
It’s not like I wish product x had Roon. It’s like roon is coming for past 2 years and they can’t deliver nor give a solid date. Same with DTX pro. If someone bought thinking it will come soon will be well pissed off. That’s a terrible practice and I would not believe their promises anymore. They have lost trust.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
It’s not like I wish product x had Roon. It’s like roon is coming for past 2 years and they can’t deliver nor give a solid date. Same with DTX pro. If someone bought thinking it will come soon will be well pissed off. That’s a terrible practice and I would not believe their promises anymore. They have lost trust.
It´s the same reason I´m holding off from getting a new set of electronics. Perhaps my best case is getting a good class D amp and wait for a processor I like. Personally, I´d love something line the MX100 from McIntosh (11.2, basically) running on Dirac, but I guess I´ll have to wait.

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Anthem AVM70. It was sent to me by the company for review and costs US $3799.

The AVM70 has a very modern and attractive front panel and display:

View attachment 159093

Company takes full use of the large display as you see with nice icons. Importantly, the interface speed is lightning fast! What a delight it is to finally see an AV product with such good graphics and super responsive UI. Hit a button the remote and the action is taken immediately as are changes including input selection. Whatever application processor they are using must be quite fast with good programming. It is about time we see such implementations especially in higher end of the market.

The back panel shows rich set of connectivity including balanced XLR outputs:

View attachment 159095

That is 17 outputs by my count.

I ran the measurements you are about to see by the company. They are close enough that they signed off on it.

Anthem AVM70 Measurements
Our standard dashboard showing distortion and noise of AV processors and receivers has been tough on the class and a big hurdle to get through. Fortunately the AVM70 does well here (in the class of AV products):

View attachment 159096

Performance is distortion limited by the third harmonic. Adding all the components and noise, we get a SINAD of nearly 100 dB:

View attachment 159097

Since we have more headroom, he is the sweep of out output level with different volume settings:
View attachment 159100

Dynamic range is good for the class:

View attachment 159099

IMD test shows good performance at the limit:

View attachment 159101

Multitone test is along the same lines:
View attachment 159102

Ditto for linearity:

View attachment 159103

I got more jitter on coax than what the company measured:
View attachment 159104

Fortunately levels are below threshold of hearing so not an audible impact.

Filter is the typical slightly lazy one in DAC chips:

View attachment 159105

This causes THD+N to rise as frequencies increase in our following test:

View attachment 159106

Conclusions
"Grading on a curve" as I do for AV products, the AVM70 is a good performer. It betters the last generation AVM60 in both interface and performance. Unless I am mistaken, the AVM70 is much cheaper than its competitors with so many balanced outputs. Seeing how it matches and exceeds performance of some of them, it seems to be executed well. Hopefully future generations step up the performance more and become competitive with desktop DACs and such.

I am going to recommend the Anthem AVM70.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Amir any news on getting an AVM90 yet?

Top Bottom