• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to know is JBL refuted Amir’s measurements, and released a doc going over their own measurements which were much better. Someone sent me it, but I’ve lost the link . So keep that in mind. I bought the SSP-55 anyways and love it.
I believe @amirm noted the following:
”And this is the problem with this design. One has to design knowing that HDMI connection and bring with it, its own source of noise. My computer USB port is also very noisy but we don't see that impacting hardly any DAC I test. Here, I have had tons of other processors and AVRs on the same setup with no noise issue over HDMI. Yet all of these Arcam based products suffer from this problem. And the company on purpose avoids testing them this way by using a portable, floating HDMI source.”

If that is how their tests were conducted, it doesn’t seem like a real world test to me… HDMI shouldn’t have to be tested in this manner to get better results IMO (if I am understanding it correctly)

andrewskaterrr

”And this is the problem with this design. One has to design knowing that HDMI connection and bring with it, its own source of noise. My computer USB port is also very noisy but we don't see that impacting hardly any DAC I test. Here, I have had tons of other processors and AVRs on the same setup with no noise issue over HDMI. Yet all of these Arcam based products suffer from this problem. And the company on purpose avoids testing them this way by using a portable, floating HDMI source.”

If that is how their tests were conducted, it doesn’t seem like a real world test to me… HDMI shouldn’t have to be tested in this manner to get better results IMO (if I am understanding it correctly)
I'd agree. At the same time, I don't hear any noise coming from my HDMI sources, even with my decently sensitive JBL 590s. If I did, I would've retuned it. So even if Amir's measurements are correct, it's past audibility for me.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to know is JBL refuted Amir’s measurements
I was was pointing out how they “refuted” which is not real world IMO. Audibility will vary depending on use I’m guessing… how sensitive speakers are , how loud you listen etc. Very good to hear it isn’t an issue in your setup. I am guessing it wouldn’t be in most.

Krobar

Using the PC/Laptop HDMI port is fine of comparison between products on this site and should not be changed at this stage otherwise it would invalidate comparisons. Where it presents an issue is most of the industry seems to use HDMI signal generators and when Amir's results are 2-4dB lower because of the PC/laptop port people then say the product did not meet spec in some cases (Which is not really true).

andrewskaterrr

So I was thinking, "floating HDMI source". My Shield Pro 2019, Apple TV4K, Xbox Series X, PS5, PS4, Laptop, Nintendo Switch, Wii U, and RetroTink 5X-Pro are all not grounded, so these would be "floating HDMI sources" right? The only grounded device I have is my HTPC, and I have no noise issues with that either. So I'm not sure what to make of his statement.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So I was thinking, "floating HDMI source". My Shield Pro 2019, Apple TV4K, Xbox Series X, PS5, PS4, Laptop, Nintendo Switch, Wii U, and RetroTink 5X-Pro are all not grounded, so these would be "floating HDMI sources" right? The only grounded device I have is my HTPC, and I have no noise issues with that either. So I'm not sure what to make of his statement.
I don't actually know for sure but the portable generator used is not a real world test condition. The receiver/processor should be immune to any source issues that there may be and it is not. Whether or not any issues show up in anyone's system would be completely unpredictable and shouldn't be as it should be immune to such issues. @amirm would be much better at answering this.

Edit.. the portable generator used for their tests that does not show issues is a battery powered unit which is why it gives a cleaner hdmi signal. Real world usage, that obviously wouldn't be the case.

Last edited:

Frontino

What precision have the step adjustments of channels trims in dB and audio delay in ms?

Thanks.

Thor9981

For current owners of the AVM70, it looks like the HDMI 2.1 upgrades will rollout this fall. See below. Great news!

Screenshot_20220823-160047_Gallery.jpg

pfgiv

Does anyone know if the 2.1 upgrade is for all of the inputs?

Nightyard

Yes and no. If a company sends me equipment then I do run the results by them since I already have a contact for it. For good or bad I also give them the option of not moving forward with the review. In this case the processor was sent by the company so I provided this courtesy review.

I also have a special relationship with Denon and Marantz where even when the equipment is not sent by them, I run the results by them. It has helped build a good relationship with them, hopefully resulting in better performing products in the future (i.e. they see me as a friend and not enemy).

The above are tiny exceptions. Most of the equipment tested is sent by members where I test and publish the results. It is a service to the membership to test what they own. Same is true of when I buy something. If I pay for it, then I don't ask permission from the company to test their product. :)
How do these relationships and censorship by not publishing your findings impact your impartiality? How is your time compensated if you dont publish the content youve spent so much time creating ?

Thudd

Does anyone know if the 2.1 upgrade is for all of the inputs?

There are new "8K" models of both the MRX and AVM series listed on the Athem site.

From the blurb, it says:

"Showcasing 7 dedicated 8K inputs which support 8K/60Hz or 4K/120Hz pass-through and 3 dedicated outputs with Enhanced Audio Return Channel"

I would have no reason to believe the upgrade to existing units would not be the same, but who knows.

It isn't clear if there were any other changes to these "8K" models over the existing ones beyond the IO ports.

kos999

Hello, i will buy soon a pro and was considering the Anthem 70 8k. However, after the announcement of the new Denon and Marantz i will wait to see reviews. Do we have info about DSP and Dac s ? How they will compare to anthem?

MegaHerzz

AVM 70 DAC supports 768kHz , I wonder , will it clip frequencies above 96khz as other receivers, if lower freq crossover filtering used ? or no effect?

Krobar

AVM 70 DAC supports 768kHz , I wonder , will it clip frequencies above 96khz as other receivers, if lower freq crossover filtering used ? or no effect?
I suspect ARC resamples to 48/44Khz, most receivers also have limited sampling frequency support when upmixing is used. This stuff is quite easy to test with a soundcard and REW.

MegaHerzz

I suspect ARC resamples to 48/44Khz, most receivers also have limited sampling frequency support when upmixing is used. This stuff is quite easy to test with a soundcard and REW.
I remember seeing Amir mentioning denon 3700 clips at 96khz when using crossover though only rz50 @ 48khz which he referred as Bad! Though I am not talking upmixing, rather filtering LF off all channels to a SW rather than playing full spectrum through all speakers. I would rather know it before buying if someone already did test that?

Randy Bessinger

Forum Donor
I have a question about the AVM70. I currently own it and use a 7.2.4 system. I am considering adding wides and wanted to know if I do will the 70 upmix Dolby surround to the wides or is it strictly for object based Dolby tracks?

kos999

I also have a question about streaming. Can Anthem 70 play Amazon ultra hd sound; If not, what i need to connect to Anthem and how can I play it without loosing quality?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also have a question about streaming. Can Anthem 70 play Amazon ultra hd sound; If not, what i need to connect to Anthem and how can I play it without loosing quality?
Not directly. You need to plug in a firetv stick and use it to stream Amazon hd audio.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any news about the promised Roon certification?
Still not there in the recent firmware upgrade. When I emailed customer support the said "coming soon..." If that's a deal maker/breaker for you I would not recommend getting the Anthem as it's been a year of "coming soon" So choices are chromecast, spotify connect, airplay. Those all work fine and sound great though. I'm actually finding myself listening to Tidal Atmos music through my fireTV a bunch on the Anthem. It sounds great and there is a ton of content coming out in Atmos all the time.

Top Bottom