• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Krobar

Thanks for the unbiased and experienced suggestion. It would have to be at a discount, though…something not easy to find in Australia…

Is there anything about the 8805 that is on the verge of obsolete? (It seems to have been around for some time). No USB input, where do I connect my PC? A quick look at the specs and I do like to see all those 3D audio options it supports like Auro 3D and height virtualization…

I recently got an Apple TV 4K, but can’t use its capabilities yet (old AVR). I just need to decide on the right update!

cheers

I would say the most dated thing on the Marantz is the display and user interface. Anthem have a slicker and clearer interface with full web page based configuration as an option. Arcam/JBL have a full colour screen with web interface options and again make the Marantz look old in this respect.

Feature wise they all have advantages and disadvantages. Marantz is only 13.2 channels but it does 13.2 for DTS as well. Anthem can do 9.2.6 with Dolby but are limited to 7.2.4 for DTS and no Auro support. Anthem/JBL do a max of 16 speakers (eg. 7.5.4 or 9.3.4 or 9.1.6) and are also limited to 7.x.4 for DTS. Marantz offer more flexibility in the speaker setup like offering VOG or CH only and rear centre support but these are all unusual configs. Monoprice and Arcam/JBL are the only ones with a full working Roon endpoint right now. The major advantage Marantz offers is it is 100% stable, the others are more like 98% stable.

Last edited:

capitanharlock

Just bought a used Anthem AVM70 at a good price, but I am very disappointed that the Roon certification is still missing.
I will check how the new beta Arc Genesis performs...

Mars2k

That’s why I am planning to wait until they update the units before considering purchasing it! I really don’t like to have to bring back the unit to the dealer or worst having to ship it back to Canada!

It sounds to me this a lame excuse especially since LG has been shipping OLED TVs with HDMi 2.1 since it came out 4 or five years a

Thanks for the unbiased and experienced suggestion. It would have to be at a discount, though…something not easy to find in Australia…

Is there anything about the 8805 that is on the verge of obsolete? (It seems to have been around for some time). No USB input, where do I connect my PC? A quick look at the specs and I do like to see all those 3D audio options it supports like Auro 3D and height virtualization…

I recently got an Apple TV 4K, but can’t use its capabilities yet (old AVR). I just need to decide on the right update!

cheers
Sorry guys I foo bar'd the reply. Well Newman don't be paralyzed waiting on the next upgrade. If you do you'll never own anything and therefore never enjoy any music. Everything is on the verge of missing out on the next great thing. There is a lot of movement in the technology market. This is not the last piece of equipment you ever buy I hope. Learning how to shop is part of it. I don't know the Austalian market or underststand the VAT laws there. Does VAT apply in the used market.
I can't think of any AV processor that connects to a PC directly BTW.
If you are thinking of connecting for music files you would usually use a usb stick for that. One of the reasons I mentioned DNLA before is that DNLA lets you access music files over the network from a music server program you install on your PC, Serviio is free. Roon is a big deal for me but few AV processors are certified for that. You need an outboard DAC or streamer for that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Is there anything about the 8805 that is on the verge of obsolete?
I would think the 8806 wouldn't be too far around the corner with the 8805 nearing 4 years old.
I do have some hope that an 8806 might include some new attention to design putting it more on
an equal footing with the latest Denon TOTL AVR's.

Mars2k

I would think the 8806 wouldn't be too far around the corner with the 8805 nearing 4 years old.
I do have some hope that an 8806 might include some new attention to design putting it more on
Bet 8806 is at least 2years out/ The Marantz is not that far behind and you have to settle for the Denon on board power section. Not bad for what it is but cannot compare with good outboard amps.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I agree. Most AVR's are a couple years old and chances are that, in the following months, we'll see new versions.

However, many will be paper launches due to scarcity, but at least we can start getting reviews and firm info.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Kinda makes one wish Denon would produce a prepro.
They kind of do in the form of McIntosh AV processors.

I reckon, though, that McIntosh does not allow Audyssey PC version and they push the nitro switch on price, but architecture wise, they are incredibly similar to Sound United products

Mars2k

Yeah the Denon has better numbers in the DAC section but for me in real use it didn't matter. I only used the on board DACs for surround and my source configuration delivers a good tightly clocked audio only signal. Further I beleive whatever nth degree of perfection is beyond my ability to perceive it.

I'm morally opposed to Mac;)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Yeah the Denon has better numbers in the DAC section but for me in real use it didn't matter. I only used the on board DACs for surround and my source configuration delivers a good tightly clocked audio only signal. Further I beleive whatever nth degree of perfection is beyond my ability to perceive it.

Absolutely! More options is never a bad thing.

It will be interesting if Sound United finally allows the use of Dirac.

Mars2k

Licensing licensing licensing $$$ I suspect Dirac is more expensive. What would be really cool would be to have Trinnov instead and sell the Sound United product for 1/3 the price of a Trinnov proc

Dusorave

Hi guys,
Im considering to buy the AVM 70 unit, so I wrote via distributor to manufacturer about the type of DAC (AKM?) they are using in latest series and I've got answer today: "The main change was the switch from the original AKM DAC's to ESS Dacs. We won't get into back and forths of chip model numbers and differences between the two brands. Both are excellent and as far as the engineers are concerned provide equal performance."

Just to let you know :)

JRiggs

Hi guys,
Im considering to buy the AVM 70 unit, so I wrote via distributor to manufacturer about the type of DAC (AKM?) they are using in latest series and I've got answer today: "The main change was the switch from the original AKM DAC's to ESS Dacs. We won't get into back and forths of chip model numbers and differences between the two brands. Both are excellent and as far as the engineers are concerned provide equal performance."

Just to let you know :)
Thanks. This was confirmed a long time ago.

andrewskaterrr

One thing to know is JBL refuted Amir’s measurements, and released a doc going over their own measurements which were much better. Someone sent me it, but I’ve lost the link . So keep that in mind. I bought the SSP-55 anyways and love it.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One thing to know is JBL refuted Amir’s measurements, and released a doc going over their own measurements which were much better. Someone sent me it, but I’ve lost the link . So keep that in mind. I bought the SSP-55 anyways and love it.

How reliable had the SDP-55 been for you? There are things like Logic16 which is apparently still buggy but I haven’t had a chance to follow up.

One of the things that you have to give credit to Denon/Marantz (and Sony when they still made ES receivers) is the reliability of the HDMI-CEC with a wide range of televisions. That convenience factor is worth a few points.

TemploAztlan

I'd be interested to read Amir's response to that.

TemploAztlan

How reliable had the SDP-55 been for you? There are things like Logic16 which is apparently still buggy but I haven’t had a chance to follow up.

One of the things that you have to give credit to Denon/Marantz (and Sony when they still made ES receivers) is the reliability of the HDMI-CEC with a wide range of televisions. That convenience factor is worth a few points.
Do you know of any reports of the AVM 70's HDMI-CEC not working with LG OLED TVs?

Newman

Major Contributor
Would like to see that doc or link, if you or anyone else can dig it up please.

andrewskaterrr

So I never use Logic 16, it's not good. It's almost like Multi Channel Mono. I use Dolby Surround Upmixer and DTS Neural X. DSU is the best of the bunch. BTW my dealer has been trying to get JBL to bring DTS:X Pro on the SDP line, and he said it finally on the table. So I'm hoping that comes soon. It would allow Front Wides on DTS tracks.
There's two issues that I have randomly with mine. When I'd turn on my Shield, the 55 and TV will kick on, and be on the Shield, then it would switch to the Display (TV) input for no reason. So I'd have to turn it back to the Shield. I do a full power down and usually it fixes it. Also, if I go to the CD (analog RCA Vinyl) input, after like 4 seconds it will switch to the Shield. I usually have to turn everything off, power the 55 on by itself, and then it will stay on CD. VERY annoying. With that said, I found out the other week that I was on the original shipping firmware, and the "update" buttons don't work. I had to manually go download and load the latest one. I just went and bootup to to play a record, and both TV switching, and Shield switching issues occurred :mad:, so it's still an issue. This does not happen with my Marantz SR5010 for reference. With that said, I still love it. I personally want to hear a Denon 6700/8500 compared to the SDP-55. I bought a speaker level AB input/output selector so I could test different AVRs with the same speakers, or different speakers, on the fly with a flick of a switch.

Top Bottom