• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Atmos and other object based formats will take advantage of whatever speaker layout is available. The older formats will not. So Atmos is your best bet for taking advantage of front wide setup. My mrx1140 supports front wides.

Atmos and other object based formats will take advantage of whatever speaker layout is available. The older formats will not. So Atmos is your best bet for taking advantage of front wide setup. My mrx1140 supports front wides.
I keep hearing different things! o_O
My understanding was that if a soundtrack is, for example, a simple 5.1 track, then it can upmixed to all channels with Neural-X (maybe other formats too???).
See around 3:50 in this video... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WTEVA-Sz4&t=353s

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose it can be upmixer by the onboard system. The point with Atmos is it's not speaker channel based. So if you have 2 channels on or 30 channels the format handles it at decoding time with the same single file. No upmixing or separate channel based formats required. It's just the same Atmos file.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Implementation and differences from commercial implementationsEdit

Because of limited bandwidth and lack of processing power, Atmos in home theaters is different from cinemas. A spatially-coded sub-stream is added to Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus or is present as metadata in Dolby MAT 2.0, LPCM like format. This sub-stream is an efficient representation of the full, original object-based mix. This is not a matrix-encoded channel, but a spatially-encoded digital signal with panning metadata. Atmos in home theaters can support 24.1.10 channels[36][37] and uses the spatially-encoded object audio sub-stream to mix the audio presentation to match the installed speaker configuration.

Lsc

Implementation and differences from commercial implementationsEdit

Because of limited bandwidth and lack of processing power, Atmos in home theaters is different from cinemas. A spatially-coded sub-stream is added to Dolby TrueHD or Dolby Digital Plus or is present as metadata in Dolby MAT 2.0, LPCM like format. This sub-stream is an efficient representation of the full, original object-based mix. This is not a matrix-encoded channel, but a spatially-encoded digital signal with panning metadata. Atmos in home theaters can support 24.1.10 channels[36][37] and uses the spatially-encoded object audio sub-stream to mix the audio presentation to match the installed speaker configuration.
I heard that if you buy the Trinnov and Kaleidescape, you can you get the original reference sound recording. Someone should be able to verify it here.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If that is the case, why not releasing a PC program, connect said pc to a mutichannel dac and from there, to amplifiers? That´s processing power in spades...

JRiggs

If that is the case, why not releasing a PC program, connect said pc to a mutichannel dac and from there, to amplifiers? That´s processing power in spades...
Doesn't that describe Trinnov more or less?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Doesn't that describe Trinnov more or less?
To an extent, yeah, but it still is a closed system. It would be quite nice to be able to easily design a completely agnostic sound system. Something like grab a processing unit (a black box, your pc...), a multichannel DAC (with whatever amount of ins and outs you need) and plug that to the amps of your choice. When all that´s done, pay for a license on Dirac/Lyngdorff/Audyssey/ARC Genesis... and off you go.

I've been doing this for some time now in my edit suite. Computer connects via USB to an SMSL M-500, then balanced out to powered Kali IN-8s. It's supremely transparent.

Atmosphered

I heard that if you buy the Trinnov and Kaleidescape, you can you get the original reference sound recording. Someone should be able to verify it here.
Unfortunately, that's not true. The audio tracks available through Kaleidescape are exactly the same as provided by the studios on a Blu-ray disc (encoded as lossless Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio just like a Blu-ray disc). KScape does not get special audio tracks. Sometimes, depending on the licensing agreement, KScape will not have the immersive track (Dolby Atmos or DTS: X in their respective consumer versions) included whereas the HD or 4k Blu-ray disc will.

They do not support Dolby Vision either, just basic HDR10. There is no earthly reason KScape is 20% or more for one of their download files than a disc. They don't have to pay to press a disc, or create packaging, and their average video bitrates aren't normally much higher either. Come to think of it, their hardware is astronomically priced as well. The only times that KScape's version of a film or TV show may be fundamentally superior is when a studio, like Disney (cough, cough), severely gimps one of their discs and bitstarves it. Take for instance a long film like Marvel's "Avengers" that was crammed onto a BD-66 4k Blu-ray. The KScape version's file size was closer to that of a BD-100 disc.

Last edited:

Thor9981

Placed an order for an AVM 70 through my local AV dealer here in Vegas in April 2022 and was told by everyone it would probably be August before it arrived. The unit arrived in May 2022, right around 30 days later.

Been wondering when they're going to get around to releasing the HDMI 2.1 upgrades. Sent a message to Anthem earlier this week and received the reply below.

There is still no timeline for the AVM 70 HDMI 2.1 upgrade. Looks like they're waiting on the launch of the 2.1 boards for the 4th gen units.

Apparently, they'll be updating their website and social media once upgrades are available.

Screenshot_20220610-205451_Gallery.jpg

Descartes

Major Contributor
That’s why I am planning to wait until they update the units before considering purchasing it! I really don’t like to have to bring back the unit to the dealer or worst having to ship it back to Canada!

It sounds to me this a lame excuse especially since LG has been shipping OLED TVs with HDMi 2.1 since it came out 4 or five years ago!!

Mars2k

Do not trust Anthem about anything. I got one of the first AVM70 released. I made my buying decision based on the strength of their claim that the unit would soon be Roon Ready certified. So ordered unit 11/2020 with delivery in May 2021. So from October 20 until now they have never delivered on "Roon Ready” ……..AND THEY ARE STILL ADVERTISING IT!!! Please do not hold your breath based on anything they promise. I can tell you from experience the Anthem is no big deal in use either. It was buggy from the get go requiring several factory resets along the way to correct function freezes. Right now you can get a Marantz 8805a on discount for less and have a much better system. Hello…Balance inputs and analogue surround in anyone? Further a Marantz 7706 is really a better head to head comparison. Both of these models have HDMI 2.1 already. A discounted 7706 is about half the price of the 70.

From experience the Marantz products passing a pure analogue signal from any source is match for the Anthem.

The single thing the 70 did that the 8805 or 7706 did not do was allow me to configure a source with separate HDMI feeds for Video and Audio.

If you are waiting for something to happen for you at Anthem you might be better going elsewhere until they actually hatch that unicorn.

Krobar

I think they have done quite well with the actual products but Anthem really need to check their marketing material.

They claimed DTS:X Pro for more than 6 months and then admitted it is not present (After 4 months of support telling users they had a configuration issues) and are now saying they might add it end of this year or next. I'm also highly doubtful the AVM90 is 48gbit HDMI compatible and suspect we will get another product information change in the next few months when end users start to discover this.

Mars2k

I have owned the AVM70 and can say I just don't see what all the hype is about. BTW that was a second Anthem try after an unsatisfactory Anthem processor try in the early 2000s. There are Anthem fan boys out there claiming Anthem products defy the laws of physics.

The 70 does not (yet ) function as a Roon endpoint it nor does not support DNLA from a music server or up-sample a signal from a cd transport. There are no streaming apps like Tidal, Qobuz, or Apple Music. The inferior ApplyPlay is possible however. My point here is that the onboard DACs in the 70 would rarely be pressed into service for anything other than surround movies or certain surround music formats. I have outboard digital sources that can crush in those formats. These all can deliver a tightly clocked digital signal that is already jitter free.

I’m not one of those people who flame people who buy expensive gear because they just want to but in my experience the Anthem purchase was a frustrating episode wasting time and money coupled with disappointment and a feeling of being conned.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned the AVM70 and can say I just don't see what all the hype is about. BTW that was a second Anthem try after an unsatisfactory Anthem processor try in the early 2000s. There are Anthem fan boys out there claiming Anthem products defy the laws of physics.

The 70 does not (yet ) function as a Roon endpoint it nor does not support DNLA from a music server or up-sample a signal from a cd transport. There are no streaming apps like Tidal, Qobuz, or Apple Music. The inferior ApplyPlay is possible however. My point here is that the onboard DACs in the 70 would rarely be pressed into service for anything other than surround movies or certain surround music formats. I have outboard digital sources that can crush in those formats. These all can deliver a tightly clocked digital signal that is already jitter free.

I’m not one of those people who flame people who buy expensive gear because they just want to but in my experience the Anthem purchase was a frustrating episode wasting time and money coupled with disappointment and a feeling of being conned.

At this price point what would be a good alternative that has comparable features and av specs?

Newman

Major Contributor

That’s great feedback from an owner thanks, but from my perspective as a person about to upgrade, I want to know what is better for the price range?

I need:
  • at least 13 channels plus subs
  • XLR line level 4V outputs to feed active speakers with 18 dBu inputs
  • highly regarded upmixer for critical music listening
Among the processors that meet the above needs like AV70, what are the alternatives that you think would be a better choice with a better feature set and functions?

Genuinely interested: I am not in any way wedded to Anthem. In fact, I would also consider your recommendation if I drop the 4V requirement.

thanks

Mars2k

Find a Marantz AV8805a at a discount. There are online sellers that advertise “open box” and really that is the price they will give to you if you just ask. PM me I could offer a suggestion. The AV8805a so much more substantial than the AVM 70. Really no joke the big Marantz is so beefy it makes the AM70 feel like a Dr Pepper can. It just has the look feel and heft of a highend product. The 8805 has balanced input stereo pair, 15.2 balanced out 7.1 channel RCA analogue audio in, HDMI 2.1 with 8k upscaling, several apps like tidal which now has a very nice Atmos library which I have been enjoying on another processor (Trinnov Altitude-16). Audessy on the 8805 is good enough I never calibrated the AVM70 but I have calibrated prior Marantz products and Audessy works pretty well.
I don't want to be accused of being a fan boy but the 8805a is very hard to beat. I have been in a position to compare. I’ve had Anthems, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha and now Trinnov. Audessy on the 8805 is good enough I never calibrated the AVM70 (ARC) but have gotten great Audessy results on prior Marantz products.
Another thought, I've turned into a total Apple TV head. Holy cow they do a good job and they support Apple Music (Spacial Audio) Tidal and Qobuze.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Find a Marantz AV8805a at a discount. There are online sellers that advertise “open box” and really that is the price they will give to you if you just ask. PM me I could offer a suggestion. The AV8805a so much more substantial than the AVM 70. Really no joke the big Marantz is so beefy it makes the AM70 feel like a Dr Pepper can. It just has the look feel and heft of a highend product. The 8805 has balanced input stereo pair, 15.2 balanced out 7.1 channel RCA analogue audio in, HDMI 2.1 with 8k upscaling, several apps like tidal which now has a very nice Atmos library which I have been enjoying on another processor (Trinnov Altitude-16). Audessy on the 8805 is good enough I never calibrated the AVM70 but I have calibrated prior Marantz products and Audessy works pretty well.
I don't want to be accused of being a fan boy but the 8805a is very hard to beat. I have been in a position to compare. I’ve had Anthems, Marantz, Onkyo, Integra, Yamaha and now Trinnov. Audessy on the 8805 is good enough I never calibrated the AVM70 (ARC) but have gotten great Audessy results on prior Marantz products.
Another thought, I've turned into a total Apple TV head. Holy cow they do a good job and they support Apple Music (Spacial Audio) Tidal and Qobuze.
Thanks for the unbiased and experienced suggestion. It would have to be at a discount, though…something not easy to find in Australia…

Is there anything about the 8805 that is on the verge of obsolete? (It seems to have been around for some time). No USB input, where do I connect my PC? A quick look at the specs and I do like to see all those 3D audio options it supports like Auro 3D and height virtualization…

I recently got an Apple TV 4K, but can’t use its capabilities yet (old AVR). I just need to decide on the right update!

cheers

Top Bottom