• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
We shall see if they have inventory? Does it have HDM2.1?
If you went to the link, perhaps your question would've been answered. ;)
Yes, claiming 7 in, 3 out; full 4k/120, 8k/60 support.
One source reported full 48Gbps speed, which would indicate 3rd gen chipsets, I think. This is only hearsay: I could not find anything about that when I searched last night.
Cheers!

Descartes

Major Contributor
If you went to the link, perhaps your question would've been answered. ;)
Yes, claiming 7 in, 3 out; full 4k/120, 8k/60 support.
One source reported full 48Gbps speed, which would indicate 3rd gen chipsets, I think. This is only hearsay: I could not find anything about that when I searched last night.
Cheers!
Just didn’t read the site, hopefully it performs better than Denon and the AVM 70?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Regardless, if Anthem took the time to address the issues that affected the 70 at release, and triple test the 90 while also making certain they had functioning HDMI...
This could be a winner.

I have been wondering why we haven't started hearing about other companies releasing in 2022, yet. SU and Yamaha, for example. Granted Yamaha is still stuck with their last iteration not even being fully functional yet. SU took last year off with the exception of the low-tier Denons released late Autumn 2021.
Now that I think of it, I still haven't seen any official news about the JBL SDP-58...

Anyway, its time! If Anthem can be first to market with a fully operational "Super Processor" delivering 15.4 channels with the performance capabilities of the AVRs just benched, this will possibly give them a strong stance in the market this year.

What is likely going to be the street price of a $7500 boutique AVP? :) I might need to start another piggy bank.

Descartes

Major Contributor
Regardless, if Anthem took the time to address the issues that affected the 70 at release, and triple test the 90 while also making certain they had functioning HDMI...
This could be a winner.

I have been wondering why we haven't started hearing about other companies releasing in 2022, yet. SU and Yamaha, for example. Granted Yamaha is still stuck with their last iteration not even being fully functional yet. SU took last year off with the exception of the low-tier Denons released late Autumn 2021.
Now that I think of it, I still haven't seen any official news about the JBL SDP-58...

Anyway, its time! If Anthem can be first to market with a fully operational "Super Processor" delivering 15.4 channels with the performance capabilities of the AVRs just benched, this will possibly give them a strong stance in the market this year.

What is likely going to be the street price of a $7500 boutique AVP? :) I might need to start another piggy bank.
Especially when compared to Trinnov or storm audio that are twice the price!
Maybe Monoprice will see that and launch a 2.0 processor!

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Flippin A-F'n-MEN to that.
I been eager to see the HTP-1 become what it needs to be. If they got HDMI 2.1 working for gamers I wouldn't even be eyballing anything more expensive.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
This could be a winner.

I really wish we had 11.3 to 13.2 options that had the same quality as the new comers on less channels.

McIntosh has released a super expensive one and updated the midline. They could upgrade the 11.2, to be honest.

Same goes for Anthem: I'd love an 11.2 slimer version with all the goodies of the current generation.

Stormchaser80

This could be a winner.

Got my AVM90 for 10% less from dealer, but dealer did not suggest wiggle room with the AVM70.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got my AVM90 for 10% less from dealer, but dealer did not suggest wiggle room with the AVM70.

I would try cancelling the order unless they offer you at least 15%, unless you must have it now. In my years of experience, for something like this, 15% off the list price should be the minimum.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do Anthem processors have a video overlay on screen display ?

- Rich

dan_uk

Strange question... When I browse to "Review Index -> Electronics" and select Anthem as the brand, this review doesn't appear? I can see the AVM60 and MRX reviews, but not this.... What am I doing wrong?

scrubb

Forum Donor
Strange question... When I browse to "Review Index -> Electronics" and select Anthem as the brand, this review doesn't appear? I can see the AVM60 and MRX reviews, but not this.... What am I doing wrong?

You aren't doing anything wrong. Unfortunately, updates to the review index are labor intensive and intermittent. See this thead and scroll to post #41 and beyond:

Mars2k

This is a review and detailed measurements of the Anthem AVM70. It was sent to me by the company for review and costs US $3799.

The AVM70 has a very modern and attractive front panel and display:

View attachment 159093

Company takes full use of the large display as you see with nice icons. Importantly, the interface speed is lightning fast! What a delight it is to finally see an AV product with such good graphics and super responsive UI. Hit a button the remote and the action is taken immediately as are changes including input selection. Whatever application processor they are using must be quite fast with good programming. It is about time we see such implementations especially in higher end of the market.

The back panel shows rich set of connectivity including balanced XLR outputs:

View attachment 159095

That is 17 outputs by my count.

I ran the measurements you are about to see by the company. They are close enough that they signed off on it.

Anthem AVM70 Measurements
Our standard dashboard showing distortion and noise of AV processors and receivers has been tough on the class and a big hurdle to get through. Fortunately the AVM70 does well here (in the class of AV products):

View attachment 159096

Performance is distortion limited by the third harmonic. Adding all the components and noise, we get a SINAD of nearly 100 dB:

View attachment 159097

Since we have more headroom, he is the sweep of out output level with different volume settings:
View attachment 159100

Dynamic range is good for the class:

View attachment 159099

IMD test shows good performance at the limit:

View attachment 159101

Multitone test is along the same lines:
View attachment 159102

Ditto for linearity:

View attachment 159103

I got more jitter on coax than what the company measured:
View attachment 159104

Fortunately levels are below threshold of hearing so not an audible impact.

Filter is the typical slightly lazy one in DAC chips:

View attachment 159105

This causes THD+N to rise as frequencies increase in our following test:

View attachment 159106

Conclusions
"Grading on a curve" as I do for AV products, the AVM70 is a good performer. It betters the last generation AVM60 in both interface and performance. Unless I am mistaken, the AVM70 is much cheaper than its competitors with so many balanced outputs. Seeing how it matches and exceeds performance of some of them, it seems to be executed well. Hopefully future generations step up the performance more and become competitive with desktop DACs and such.

I am going to recommend the Anthem AVM70.

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
So glad to see the qualification "For an AV product". Good to see analysis for characteristics beyond DAC section. No, the Anthem is more expensive relative to competitors with balanced out. the AVM70 ($3800) compares most closely to Marantz AV7706 ($3000) in feature set. The Anthem supports AirPlay and Chromecast only so no DNLA for your hi res files from your music server. Also Anthem lists Roon as a feature with the qualification "coming soon" well that has been "coming soon" for 2 years now with zero movement. Also Anthem AVM90 msrp =$7500 compared to Marantz AV8805A at $5000 the value question around Anthem is dubious at best.

Mars2k

Amir @amirm, before you ship it back, what is the serial number of your test sample?

I ask because if I buy one, I don't want earlier SN than your unit. The early adopter owners of this model are sometimes having grief with this or that.
I was an ealy adopter with one of the first out of the shute...buggy. No updates other than the very first. SOP was having to hard reboot with power disconect to free up some system freezes. Also If you are shooping this to support Roon...forget about it. Anthem is toatlly misrepresenting that feature. They have never provided Roon support and don't count on that until the community verifies that it has finally happened. Also as an additional note AVM70 does not support Tidal streaming so no native Tidal Atmos support.

Newman

Major Contributor
@Mars2k what do you use now instead?

Mars2k

Trinnov Altitude 16 but I replaced the AVM70 with a Marantz AV8805A for just a few $$ more. The Marantz is (well) built like a tank and did everything I asked of it (limitted onboard processing). It had balanced ins and supports Tidal (Atmos) also was reasonably quiet as a switching device for all of my analogue sources. Even comparing the 8805A to the AVM90 the Marantz wins in my book...its 2/3 the price ...$2500 would pay for a decent outboard streamer/DAC/Roon endpoint
The one thing of note about the AVM70, certain source configurations were well suited for my purposes. I like album art displayed on my large screen while streaming/playing music. I could configure a source digital sound input with one HDMI (my Oppo 205 jitter free HDMI audio only out) and then add a video out source with a different HDMI in. My Marantz did not offer that and I have yet to figure out how to do that with my Trinnov. Of course this matters most with multi channel SACD and BlueRay pure audio along with other multi channel discs.
Did I mention I was mad at Anthem over the whole Roon thing?:D

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Airplay, Spotify, and Chromecast work on my MRX1140. Roon also works via Chromecast. But that means the limitations of the Chromecast protocol (16/48). This also means your typical DNLA server and control points will work and see the Anthem. BubbleUpnp works and can see my Anthem. Again with the same Chromecast limitations.

Hi all. Considering an AVM70 and really want to use Front Wide channels in my new room.

Hoping that it'll be a similar improvement to 7.1 vs 5.1.

Can anyone confirm that the AVM70 can definitely upmix ANY 5.1 or 7.1 source (DD, DD+ TrueHD, DTS-MA, etc) to include Front Wides as per 3:50 in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8WTEVA-Sz4&t=353s

If so, is it only Neural X that will do this, or does DSU also upmix?

I understand that an Atmos track with, for example - 7.1.2 bed channels - CANNOT be be upmixed to include Front Wides or more Tops / Heights.
Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom