• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

tparm

Forum Donor
Also Anthem’s website has a big banner on the front:

“During the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 we have reduced both staff and hours of operation. Because of this, all calls may not be answered. For all technical support related inquires we encourage you to email [email protected]. Please expect a slightly longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding during this time.”

Reads like the company is not doing very well! Maybe prime target for an acquisition!
Their service lately has been top notch. Paradigm, Anthem, et al gets a lot of funding gov’t funding, I’d think they’d be ok. In case you haven’t noticed response times most everywhere are a little slower than usual……

Descartes

Major Contributor
Their service lately has been top notch. Paradigm, Anthem, et al gets a lot of funding gov’t funding, I’d think they’d be ok. In case you haven’t noticed response times most everywhere are a little slower than usual……
Where did you read that they get government funding? They are a private business. I don’t think the Canadian government is going to fund an AV company! But please do share

tparm

Forum Donor
Where did you read that they get government funding? They are a private business. I don’t think the Canadian government is going to fund an AV company! But please do share
Years ago there were a couple articles written about the Canadian government providing funding for engineering assistance, investing in an anechoic chamber in the national research center for then Energy, Anthem, PSB et al to use, and funding (or assistance, I can't recall the exact terminology but I assume in low or no interest loans, etc.) for growth of these companies as an important part of culture conservation and economic growth. From a pure business perspective it was interesting to me at the time. Have no idea where it was written (SoundStage?) and when exactly but you may be able to google it.

PS Saying "a lot" was misleading and probably incorrect.

Newman

Major Contributor
The Canadian Government didn’t fund any audio companies: they funded the National Research Council for audio research, including researchers and facilities. Numerous Canadian audio companies took advantage of the research and the facilities. Floyd Toole had a 25 year tenure working as a researcher at the NRC.

Last edited:

Newman

Major Contributor
Also Anthem’s website has a big banner on the front:

“During the unprecedented impact of COVID-19 we have reduced both staff and hours of operation. Because of this, all calls may not be answered. For all technical support related inquires we encourage you to email [email protected]. Please expect a slightly longer response time than usual. Thank you for your understanding during this time.”

Reads like the company is not doing very well! Maybe prime target for an acquisition!
LOL very funny.

Newman

Major Contributor
You're assuming your conclusion is true. I am not. It is just a standard-issue Covid impact notice that countless businesses, including banks, put up, and countless others should have put up, but preferred not to be so honest. The presence or absence of such a notice on a company website says nothing about the competitive position of the company in their markets, or their vulnerability to acquisition.

So, more :facepalm: than:eek:, IMO.

Descartes

Major Contributor
So please explain why their AVM90 is still not available after over a year of being announced?

It reminds me when Classé said they were coming out with the new pre/pro SSP900! Next thing you know they go bust, are bought by B&W penny on the dollar and then sold again to Sound United for parts at a discount! Now they dropped everything except for a 2 channel pre/pro and an amplifier!

tparm

Forum Donor
So please explain why their AVM90 is still not available after over a year of being announced?

It reminds me when Classé said they were coming out with the new pre/pro SSP900! Next thing you know they go bust, are bought by B&W penny on the dollar and then sold again to Sound United for parts at a discount! Now they dropped everything except for a 2 channel pre/pro and an amplifier!
What is your personal issue with Anthem? And why are you here? Have you tried to buy any consumer goods in 2021? Groceries? A car? Go to the Porsche website and read their pop-up concerning supply and delivery issues, do you think VW group will sell off their most profitable marque even thought they are nearly a year behind in deliveries?

Descartes

Major Contributor
What is your personal issue with Anthem? And why are you here? Have you tried to buy any consumer goods in 2021? Groceries? A car? Go to the Porsche website and read their pop-up concerning supply and delivery issues, do you think VW group will sell off their most profitable marque even thought they are nearly a year behind in deliveries?
No personal issues, I have owned an AVM 60 for the past four years, and am looking forward to their new pre/pro if and when it will be released!
Your tone is very aggressive and unnecessary, so you may want to take a deep breath and relax

You mean aside from the AKM factory burning down so they can't get the DACs for it? Probably typical supply chain issues or labor shortages. By the time they can get the 4490s the much better 4191s might be available and those would definitely be worth waiting for.

Newman

Major Contributor
Why do people think the model of DAC chips are an audible differentiator? Especially here in ASR?

Newman

Major Contributor
Bang on topic, I'm afraid. You are accountable for your claim that the newer DAC chips are "definitely worth waiting for". Why are they?

Try to answer without making any theoretical or philosophical assumptions about DAC chips being audibly different.

Dal1as

I have a question. Will this processor allow room correction to be run up to around 350 hz and then full range PEQ after the fact like the htp-1 can?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bang on topic, I'm afraid. You are accountable for your claim that the newer DAC chips are "definitely worth waiting for". Why are they?

Try to answer without making any theoretical or philosophical assumptions about DAC chips being audibly different.

I also believe given the excellent bench test results, a DAC chip upgrade will unlikely improve on sound quality that is audible, but for>$4,000 (assuming it's list price > AVM 70), I would still hope the AVM 90 does have a "better" DAC.

Off topic or not, another thing that will most likely not produce audible benefit:) is, in my opinion only, the lack of (relatively speaking) details in their published specifications and other information in general, that are typically found in their competitor's owners manuals such as Marantz and Yamaha's. For that reason alone, I will not consider their AVPs, but that's just me and it is a matter of principle (again, just me..), no reflection on their build quality or audio performance.

Newman

Major Contributor
Indeed! Claims like, "...resulting in a perceived improvement of the ratio of signal to noise. This improvement, while not easily quantifiable via traditional measurement techniques, is easily experienced during controlled listening tests...", fall right into the ho-ho-ho category of marketing self-promotion.

But ASR can't validate that, because ASR don't do controlled listening tests. Until then, it's a :facepalm:.

tparm

Forum Donor
Confirmed (response from Anthem in an hour and four minutes) the AVM 70 has a pure analog path:

If you set convert analog to no you are activating analog passthrough. This means the signal is not being converted to digital and therefore there isn't and digital processing being applied. This means there won't be any bass management, ARC will not be applied, and you will not have any listening modes. Essentially you will have a 2 channel analog signal with volume control only.

Jamie Z.
Technical Advisor
Paradigm / Anthem AV

Descartes

Major Contributor
Confirmed (response from Anthem in an hour and four minutes) the AVM 70 has a pure analog path:

If you set convert analog to no you are activating analog passthrough. This means the signal is not being converted to digital and therefore there isn't and digital processing being applied. This means there won't be any bass management, ARC will not be applied, and you will not have any listening modes. Essentially you will have a 2 channel analog signal with volume control only.

Jamie Z.
Technical Advisor
Paradigm / Anthem AV
Looking forward to hearing it when it ever gets released!

Who knows maybe 2023? ;)

Top Bottom