• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

tparm

Forum Donor
Direct copy from their website, This isn't their Top unit, they will release an AVM 90 later this year. Here is a portion of a reply from Anthem support about the DAC:
Hello Jason,

Can you confirm that from launch all DAC models have been the same? Can you reveal what DAC will be in the newer batches after you guys changed the production descriptions on Literature?

The DAC models which we are using are AKM AK4458VN in MRX 540/740/1140 and AVM 70 except for AVM 90. If there are some DAC changes in the future we are not previewing at this time.

AVM 70 Specifications​

PREAMPLIFIER (MEASURED AT XLR OUTPUT)​
Maximum Output (<0.1% THD)​
10.7 VRMS, Subwoofer 11 VRMS​
Frequency Response​
20 Hz — 35 kHz (+/-0.2dB)​
Frequency Response, Analog-Direct​
20 Hz — 80 kHz (+0, -2 dB)​
THD+N (4 Vrms output)​
-100 dB​
S/N Ratio (4 Vrms output, IEC-A filter)​
110 dB​
XLR Configuration​
Pin 1: Ground, Pin 2: Positive, Pin 3: Negative​
POWER CONSUMPTION​
Typical Load​
60 W​
Standby​
0.3 W​
Standby IP Control Enabled​
1.8 W​
Standby HDMI Bypass Enabled​
4.9 W​
Too bad when customer service doesn’t know their own product. The AVM 70 uses 4490 (visually confirmed by a few online) for the main channels.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir.

This looks decent for the application, but not good enough to sway me from a Denon AVR. I do like the layout of the back.
I'm thinking the same but those XLR outs though...

Dmitri

Forum Donor
Thanks for the review Amirm! AVR’s/AVP’s...despite their weaknesses, are the products of choice for my needs, so despite the general depressing results, (excepting some of Denon’s recent forays) it is (almost) a pleasure to see reasonable specs in an AV component.

Almost. Glad to see Anthem is trying to live up to the standard they’ve defined as a being a premier quality av manufacturer. I’d be tempted to replace my MRX 710 (used as a pre) if I could afford to do so, but I can’t justify the expense. I’d love to see a review of the MRX 540, if anyone decides to take the plunge and be prepared to have their hearts potentially ripped asunder by Amirm’s merciless scrutiny. Alas, I am not made of such sturdy stuff. ; )

Newman

Major Contributor
No Auro 3D ?? That's a deal breaker for me...
They have gone to a lot of trouble to create their own bespoke upmixer, so why dismiss it out of hand? Did you dismiss their bespoke room correction out of hand?

tparm

Forum Donor
Is it a fully “balanced” architecture internally or just outputs like so many other AVRs and AVPs?
My understanding is balanced but not differential (DACs not operating in mono mode). But others here may be able to speak for definitively to that.

EB1000

They have gone to a lot of trouble to create their own bespoke upmixer, so why dismiss it out of hand? Did you dismiss their bespoke room correction out of hand?
What upmixer? The AVM70/90 doesn't mention any upmixers besides dolby and dts...

nathan

What upmixer? The AVM70/90 doesn't mention any upmixers besides dolby and dts...
Anthem has had a couple of their own up mixers in their models to date, all of which have been worthwhile (AnthemLogic is the current flavor). It's not the same as Auro3D. Instead of adding reverb overhead it relies on analyzing the content and making (arguably) more nuanced choices about how to expand the signal. As with all such systems, you may or may not find it to be "the one" that you like.

My impression in terms of how much manipulation goes on (from most to least) is something like:

DTS
Dolby
Anthem
Auro

But since there is no single unit that does them all, it is even more fraught than a traditional sighted comparison.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Great to see another company improving the engineering of their AVR products from the previous generation and engaging with Amir to get their improvements documented and out to the public.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem has had a couple of their own up mixers in their models to date, all of which have been worthwhile (AnthemLogic is the current flavor). It's not the same as Auro3D. Instead of adding reverb overhead it relies on analyzing the content and making (arguably) more nuanced choices about how to expand the signal. As with all such systems, you may or may not find it to be "the one" that you like.

My impression in terms of how much manipulation goes on (from most to least) is something like:

DTS
Dolby
Anthem
Auro

But since there is no single unit that does them all, it is even more fraught than a traditional sighted comparison.
Auro also seems to have the most adjustability.

GimeDsp

If you want Atmos and such and have SUCH a big theater room that you need separate amps, I guess you are stuck with this.
Must be a bad problem to have.

Nice of them to send one out for testing.

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Why so sure those companies will make a better AVR/AVP?
Maybe the price will be better, hopefully.
But, there are so many things going on in AV products... codecs, dsp, video processing...
Do you really believe they will make a good reliable product on the first try?

And why are you so sure that the SINAD will be better? Most AV signal is finally routed through a DSP chip and who knows, maybe no one can make a better SINAD with current tech.
Finally, this AVP has 108 db of dynamic range and 99 SINAD. Do you really need more? Can you hear the difference in 120db vs 100db?

Don't get me wrong, I wish more companies made AV products, because competition makes better product and great respect to Topping, JDS, SMSL for their engineering and dedication. We just don't have any evidence that they will make an AV product so much better then the rest.
These companies have proven/mastered technical knowledge and capabilities regarding sound quality/transparency. It'd be interesting to see an AVR who's design goal was such, rather than a features game. Even if they weren't the manufacturer, at least they could collaborate and release a cross-branded product or with some sort of seal of approval from these DAC manufacturers. Many enthusiasts have a home theater system and a HiFi system as their objectives and quality most often don't coexist. And good point about the availability of usable DSPs, this may ultimately be the weak link. However, some AVRs with a "pure" mode still can't seem to compete.

hmt

They have. But they do not have a proven technical knowledge to build an AVR with stable hdmi, several Codecs, room EQ, bass management etc. An AVR, even a minimalistic one, will always be a features game.

eycatcher

Can we see the analog input performance, phono input? Also possibly the unbalance preamp out?

Top Bottom