• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM70 Review (AV Processor)

pfgiv

Well we will see, I already ordered it. I still got my marantz 7013, that suckers going into the living room to replace my old onkyo.

I contacted them to ask for return policy just in case I do not get that extra immersion I desire, because it seems like what everyone said is out of the box with room calibration the AVM provides the best experience in home theater. Not sure if that's just reviewers trying to create hype or not, but at 3000 it's not bad and I do not need 4k/120.

Still my only concern is what the RCA outputs are doing. Not sure why Amir didn't measure that or maybe you guys know what the expected sinad would be just based off of those XLR measurements.

The only unfortunate news is that I only use 7 channels so this is beyond overkill and probably dumb. However, the 3700 seemed risky with the new dac and the 6700 is the same price and 8500 is even more. In addition I do not know what dacs those guys had originally when they were reviewed and if they changed too. So I am just considering this a way out with some level of future proofing

Fwiw, this is going to be likely much much more once you add amplification. I’m sure you knew that already, but it’s kinda unfair to compare this to the 6700 at the same price, because you’re lacking amps.

After 7 channels of amplification, you’re at or over the price of the 8500, (assuming something like monoprice 7x200 which is roughly $1800), but I’d still personally take the anthem over the denon. But that’s probably my bias because I have an AVM70 8k with monolith m8250x.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Well we will see, I already ordered it. I still got my marantz 7013, that suckers going into the living room to replace my old onkyo.

I contacted them to ask for return policy just in case I do not get that extra immersion I desire, because it seems like what everyone said is out of the box with room calibration the AVM provides the best experience in home theater. Not sure if that's just reviewers trying to create hype or not, but at 3000 it's not bad and I do not need 4k/120.

Still my only concern is what the RCA outputs are doing. Not sure why Amir didn't measure that or maybe you guys know what the expected sinad would be just based off of those XLR measurements.

The only unfortunate news is that I only use 7 channels so this is beyond overkill and probably dumb. However, the 3700 seemed risky with the new dac and the 6700 is the same price and 8500 is even more. In addition I do not know what dacs those guys had originally when they were reviewed and if they changed too. So I am just considering this a way out with some level of future proofing

With the 20% discount, it is tempting as one doesn't have to worry about if one negotiated the best deal otherwise. As tempting as it is, for me it is more about wanting to change and I have no sound quality expectation, though based on the test results the AVM70 is better than the Marantz AV8805 on paper. About the RCA performance vs XLR, typically other than you get half the maximum voltage, there should be no degradation in SINAD if you keep the interconnects short such as 1 to 3 meters. I do not recall ever seeing XLR outperform RCA by more than a couple dB SINAD, in fact many times XLR did worse by a couple dB, that's for other brand's such as D+M, Yamaha etc.. Can't imagine why it would be different for Anthem's. Did you order the 4K version?

MacCali

Major Contributor
Fwiw, this is going to be likely much much more once you add amplification. I’m sure you knew that already, but it’s kinda unfair to compare this to the 6700 at the same price, because you’re lacking amps.

After 7 channels of amplification, you’re at or over the price of the 8500, (assuming something like monoprice 7x200 which is roughly $1800), but I’d still personally take the anthem over the denon. But that’s probably my bias because I have an AVM70 8k with monolith m8250x.
I have 9 channels of amplification but it’s all SE inputs. Clearly we want XLR.
So it won’t work with the PS5!
nope, realistically why would you use an AVR or processor to play ps5 lol aren't headphones the best for gaming, especially competitive.

MacCali

Major Contributor
With the 20% discount, it is tempting as one doesn't have to worry about if one negotiated the best deal otherwise. As tempting as it is, for me it is more about wanting to change and I have no sound quality expectation, though based on the test results the AVM70 is better than the Marantz AV8805 on paper. About the RCA performance vs XLR, typically other than you get half the maximum voltage, there should be no degradation in SINAD if you keep the interconnects short such as 1 to 3 meters. I do not recall ever seeing XLR outperform RCA by more than a couple dB SINAD, in fact many times XLR did worse by a couple dB, that's for other brand's such as D+M, Yamaha etc.. Can't imagine why it would be different for Anthem's. Did you order the 4K version?
Yes, I do not need the 8k version.

Just hoping nothing is funky(rca vs xlr), I mean the only thing is sinad wise vs 7013 at lower volumes lower volts I guess the difference isn't huge. However once you pass those low bs voltages that's when it's dominating. ie 0v to .7v it's not that far off. Clearly it's higher with avm70 just consideration.

I did notice that amir put .7 volts is 73 on the volume dial. Honestly at 75 my 7013 is super loud, as my room isn't huge

I just reached out to them and they told me it's a 30 day return, I saw nothing on the website and wanted to be clear it's going to be decent. Also concerned about bugs and issues people keep talking about which are still present.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Just hoping nothing is funky(rca vs xlr), I mean the only thing is sinad wise vs 7013 at lower volumes lower volts I guess the difference isn't huge. However once you pass those low bs voltages that's when it's dominating. ie 0v to .7v it's not that far off. Clearly it's higher with avm70 just consideration.

I did notice that amir put .7 volts is 73 on the volume dial. Honestly at 75 my 7013 is super loud, as my room isn't huge

I just reached out to them and they told me it's a 30 day return, I saw nothing on the website and wanted to be clear it's going to be decent. Also concerned about bugs and issues people keep talking about which are still present.

I prefer XLR just for the reassuring "click", but I will try the RCA first. That's because I don't have enough XLR cables yet and there will be less work to just swap out the AVR using the existing interconnects. When I had the AV7005 and then the AV8801 I never bothered with XLRs for the same reason, and being lazy, it remained that way for years. This time I am going to do it within a week or two, otherwise I will end up keeping the RCAa again like last time.:)

MacCali

Major Contributor

I prefer XLR just for the reassuring "click", but I will try the RCA first. That's because I don't have enough XLR cables yet and there will be less work to just swap out the AVR using the existing interconnects. When I had the AV7005 and then the AV8801 I never bothered with XLRs for the same reason, and being lazy, it remained that way for years. This time I am going to do it within a week or two, otherwise I will end up keeping the RCAa again like last time.:)
Oh nice you bought it too, I didn’t get that on the first read. Yea I currently don’t have enough RCA cables too. Probably will have to order from blue jeans

Yea this has been a bad deal man lol I spent like 8000 on audio this last 2 months, fairly foolish.

But I will say I only spent 400 prior to that this entire year I really held back.

Worse part is this is only equipment wise:oops:

Edit: have to donate I feel like a jerk LOL

pfgiv

Peng,

What do you mean you will try the RCA again? Add RCA to XLR connectors? Just go on Amazon and get the 10 pack of 6ft XLR cables for like $32. Plus, you get to hear that satisfying “click” a bunch of times, speaking from experience here.

Descartes

Major Contributor

What bugs?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Peng,

What do you mean you will try the RCA again? Add RCA to XLR connectors? Just go on Amazon and get the 10 pack of 6ft XLR cables for like $32. Plus, you get to hear that satisfying “click” a bunch of times, speaking from experience here.
I may do that if the xlr cables are in first, but I will most likely use the existing rcas for at least a few days to make they work perfectly as well.

pfgiv

I may do that if the xlr cables are in first, but I will most likely use the existing rcas for at least a few days to make they work perfectly as well.
Ugh, I’m so dumb. Disregard my comment. Was misremembering the lack of RCAs on my 8250 with the AVM70.

Nothing to see here, carry on :facepalm:

MacCali

Major Contributor
What bugs?
I do not for certain, but watching YouTube reviews it is saying the unit has some bugs even after being on the market so long.

One the WebUI, ARC is having an issue with sub correction/delay and requires manual adjustment. Seems like that’s the only con which keeps popping up.

Also if you use your phone or the app to control volume it will increase in equal percents to your phone. So if the volume is 50 and for example your phone goes up 20% it will go from 50 to 60 which is definitely a big jump.

Honestly doubt that will be a factor for me, since clearly it has a remote.

According to Anthem all the bugs have been repaired but who knows really. Clearly they will say that

MacCali

Major Contributor
I know we discussed in depth previously about running my Marantz in pre mode.

As you recall most my current external amps reach max power at 1.2v. Again please excuse my ignorance, but based on that clearly this avm 70 is going to output 1.2 v no problem. Does this make any difference when it comes to volume adjustment? Will my volume scale shrink

Like I said earlier never noticed Amir pointed out the 7015 is outputting .7v at a volume of 73. I do know the voltage will fluctuate, but basically .7v will be the ceiling at avr volume 73

I’m not really sure how this works out, but let’s say the avm70 is 1.2v at 60 volume. Does that mean the sound in my room is going to maximum watts out of the external amps? Or in other words it would be at full volume when it reaches 1.2 v output

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know we discussed in depth previously about running my Marantz in pre mode.

As you recall most my current external amps reach max power at 1.2v. Again please excuse my ignorance, but based on that clearly this avm 70 is going to output 1.2 v no problem. Does this make any difference when it comes to volume adjustment? Will my volume scale shrink
Not sure if I understand your question clearly, but suffice to say again that you cannot really compare volume settings between devices of different brand/model because of reasons including their volume scale, gain among others.
Like I said earlier never noticed Amir pointed out the 7015 is outputting .7v at a volume of 73. I do know the voltage will fluctuate, but basically .7v will be the ceiling at avr volume 73

No, Amir got 0.7 V at volume 73 and at the input voltage he used for that specific test. On that graph he did not say anything about the input voltage but unless specified otherwise, he typically use 0 dBFS input level (max) and then adjust the volume to get 2 V for his standard pre out test when the unbalanced/RCA outputs are used.

So that 0.7 V output at volume 73 is only what you might call "ceiling" when the input signal level (to the preamp/proc., in your case the SR7015 input) is at 0 dBFS. Since you seem willing to learn about those technical terms and jargons, I suggest you read the linked articles below.

dBFS - Wikipedia
What Is DBFS In Audio? How It's Calculated And Used - Audio T | P | I (audiointerfacing.com)

If you watch a so call THX movie such as the Star War series (not sure if all of them are, or just some), then I guess you can say 0.7 V at volume 73 would be ceiling because by the THX standard for such movies, the maximum signal would be at 0 dBFS level. Of course now we are talking about the input level to your preamp/processor only, the actual spl at you mlp will depend on your speakers, your room, and distance.

I’m not really sure how this works out, but let’s say the avm70 is 1.2v at 60 volume. Does that mean the sound in my room is going to maximum watts out of the external amps? Or in other words it would be at full volume when it reaches 1.2 v output

Can't go by the volume as explained before, but yes if your power amp's input sensitivity is 1.2 V for rated output then yes as long as the AVM70 outputs 1.2 V, that power amp will output its rated "watts". I prefer to stick with rated because "maximum" may be different, would need to know how the manufacture define "maximum".

Which external amp are you using? Sorry if you mentioned before I do not remember.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello, can someone tell me if I can run ARC for Z2 using a separate profile?

I know the answer will most (99.9%..) likely be no. It would be a great feature though for z2 2 channel stereo use.

Last edited:

MacCali

Major Contributor
Not sure if I understand your question clearly, but suffice to say again that you cannot really compare volume settings between devices of different brand/model because of reasons including their volume scale, gain among others.

No, Amir got 0.7 V at volume 73 and at the input voltage he used for that specific test. On that graph he did not say anything about the input voltage but unless specified otherwise, he typically use 0 dBFS input level (max) and then adjust the volume to get 2 V for his standard pre out test when the unbalanced/RCA outputs are used.

So that 0.7 V output at volume 73 is only what you might call "ceiling" when the input signal level (to the preamp/proc., in your case the SR7015 input) is at 0 dBFS. Since you seem willing to learn about those technical terms and jargons, I suggest you read the linked articles below.

dBFS - Wikipedia
What Is DBFS In Audio? How It's Calculated And Used - Audio T | P | I (audiointerfacing.com)

If you watch a so call THX movie such as the Star War series (not sure if all of them are, or just some), then I guess you can say 0.7 V at volume 73 would be ceiling because by the THX standard for such movies, the maximum signal would be at 0 dBFS level. Of course now we are talking about the input level to your preamp/processor only, the actual spl at you mlp will depend on your speakers, your room, and distance.

Can't go by the volume as explained before, but yes if your power amp's input sensitivity is 1.2 V for rated output then yes as long as the AVM70 outputs 1.2 V, that power amp will output its rated "watts". I prefer to stick with rated because "maximum" may be different, would need to know how the manufacture define "maximum".

Which external amp are you using? Sorry if you mentioned before I do not remember.
POA 8300 and Parasound HCA-1000/1200

Sorry I dont want to put you through this again, this time is definitely not an issue cause this processor has sufficient power and I have nothing to really worry about. If you want you can just read some of these things and maybe get a better understanding.

I will need to read more, I am not understanding the exact correlation between volume and voltage, if there's any association, or if it's signal and voltage which create fluctuations in a pre amp.

We previously established that the voltage isn't constant, even at a set volume. If I recall correctly, which was what I thought was the case.

We then got gain of the amps to figure out where we would be based on the sensitivity of my speakers and resistance, based on the marantz output and external amps.

Clearly, my goal with my marantz was to get the best sinad while using external amplification and that was only feasible by not surpassing .7 volts. This will no longer be the issue.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
POA 8300 and Parasound HCA-1000/1200

Sorry I dont want to put you through this again, this time is definitely not an issue cause this processor has sufficient power and I have nothing to really worry about. If you want you can just read some of these things and maybe get a better understanding.
I remember now we have had that discussion about your two amps. Both amps are easy to drive such that your Marantz can drive them to their rated output and maintain >= 90 dB SINAD based on the graph Amir included.
I will need to read more, I am not understanding the exact correlation between volume and voltage, if there's any association, or if it's signal and voltage which create fluctuations in a pre amp.

We previously established that the voltage isn't constant, even at a set volume. If I recall correctly, which was what I thought was the case.
You understood correctly. As far as the exact correlation between volume and voltage, for the Marantz AVR that is easy to understand because:
1) Thanks to Amir, he measured the pre out voltage at volume 73 will give you SINAD 95.5 dB (amps disconnected) and 0.7357 V.
2) Marantz volume scale is logarithmic, so every 3 dB change represents a change in power output of 2 and voltage change of √2 (that is a factor of 1.414 or 0.707 for decrement)

So under Amir's test condition, volume 73 correspond to 0.7357 V, volume 70 will correspond to 0.7357*0.707 = 0.52 V, or for increments, 76 dB will correspond to 0.7357*1.414 = 1.04 V so on and so forth. Again that's under the test condition during which Amir typically use 0 dBFS input signal. For music, it will vary depending on contents and for movies, if recorded/mastered per THX then 0 dBFS would represent the maximum level. That means the numerical example/calculations here should be applicable to real world movies (THX standard only).

We then got gain of the amps to figure out where we would be based on the sensitivity of my speakers and resistance, based on the marantz output and external amps.

Clearly, my goal with my marantz was to get the best sinad while using external amplification and that was only feasible by not surpassing .7 volts. This will no longer be the issue.

In your case, yes you will get the best SINAD number if you don't listen at levels that require the Marantz AVR to output higher than 0.7357 V but from the graph you can see that within the range of about 0.3 V to 1.2 V, SINAD is at or above 90 dB.

For the AVM70, you are right, the 0.7 V thing will no longer be the issue as you get 97 dB SINAD at 7 V if you use XLR, or 3.5 V RCA.
Not that it is an issue, but it is interesting to see from the graphs that the Marantz actually does a little better at below 0.8 V. As mentioned many times by other members, SINAD alone, unless really bad such as below 50 dB, does not correlate too well to perceived sound quality. Many Marantz fans would find the SR7015 sound better than Anthem's and vice versa.:D I don't choose the Anthem based on SINAD alone.

MacCali

Major Contributor
I remember now we have had that discussion about your two amps. Both amps are easy to drive such that your Marantz can drive them to their rated output and maintain >= 90 dB SINAD based on the graph Amir included.

You understood correctly. As far as the exact correlation between volume and voltage, for the Marantz AVR that is easy to understand because:
1) Thanks to Amir, he measured the pre out voltage at volume 73 will give you SINAD 95.5 dB (amps disconnected) and 0.7357 V.
2) Marantz volume scale is logarithmic, so every 3 dB change represents a change in power output of 2 and voltage change of √2 (that is a factor of 1.414 or 0.707 for decrement)

So under Amir's test condition, volume 73 correspond to 0.7357 V, volume 70 will correspond to 0.7357*0.707 = 0.52 V, or for increments, 76 dB will correspond to 0.7357*1.414 = 1.04 V so on and so forth. Again that's under the test condition during which Amir typically use 0 dBFS input signal. For music, it will vary depending on contents and for movies, if recorded/mastered per THX then 0 dBFS would represent the maximum level. That means the numerical example/calculations here should be applicable to real world movies (THX standard only).

In your case, yes you will get the best SINAD number if you don't listen at levels that require the Marantz AVR to output higher than 0.7357 V but from the graph you can see that within the range of about 0.3 V to 1.2 V, SINAD is at or above 90 dB.

For the AVM70, you are right, the 0.7 V thing will no longer be the issue as you get 97 dB SINAD at 7 V if you use XLR, or 3.5 V RCA.
Not that it is an issue, but it is interesting to see from the graphs that the Marantz actually does a little better at below 0.8 V. As mentioned many times by other members, SINAD alone, unless really bad such as below 50 dB, does not correlate too well to perceived sound quality. Many Marantz fans would find the SR7015 sound better than Anthem's and vice versa.:D I don't choose the Anthem based on SINAD alone.
I totally agree on that and even with such a “lower” sinad with amps on powering speakers I do enjoy my Marantz very much.

Personally I feel like it’s better than the theaters, far more visceral and my room being medium the volume is insane at 75.

Than again my bias would be no prior experience, this is my first avr and the avm 70 will be my first processor.

Yea that’s what I was noticing with pre’s Marantz vs Anthem. Honestly just trying to future proof a tad bit. Personally I still feel in my case it’s a waste of money since I am only running 7 or max 9ch, eventually.

But yea denon’s current actions got me here. Wish I had been here before my Marantz and I would of had the 3700. There’s a possibility maybe I wouldn’t have been able too, since during that time I only had 1000 to spend.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I totally agree on that and even with such a “lower” sinad with amps on powering speakers I do enjoy my Marantz very much.

Personally I feel like it’s better than the theaters, far more visceral and my room being medium the volume is insane at 75.

Than again my bias would be no prior experience, this is my first avr and the avm 70 will be my first processor.

Yea that’s what I was noticing with pre’s Marantz vs Anthem. Honestly just trying to future proof a tad bit. Personally I still feel in my case it’s a waste of money since I am only running 7 or max 9ch, eventually.

But yea denon’s current actions got me here. Wish I had been here before my Marantz and I would of had the 3700. There’s a possibility maybe I wouldn’t have been able too, since during that time I only had 1000 to spend.

This will be my 3rd processor. Based on going from the Denon AVR-3805 to 4308 to AV7005 to AV8801 to X4400H, I found the current X4400H most pleasing not only because of the up-to-date feature, 7 HDMI inputs, front HDMI and analog inputs, ability to use XT32 with the Editor App but also because it is quiet so I don't hear anything but the room during the quiet scenes.

I would say ignore what you read about the "much more details, smooth, dynamic, musical blablabla.." online review comments assuming the new toy won't "sound better". But no doubt you will enjoy some of the features not found on the Marantz, such as the much better Genesis's RC UI. If you end up hearing what those Youtubers said they heard then it will be icing on the cake for you, and me too obviously.:)

MacCali

Major Contributor
This will be my 3rd processor. Based on going from the Denon AVR-3805 to 4308 to AV7005 to AV8801 to X4400H, I found the current X4400H most pleasing not only because of the up-to-date feature, 7 HDMI inputs, front HDMI and analog inputs, ability to use XT32 with the Editor App but also because it is quiet so I don't hear anything but the room during the quiet scenes.

I would say ignore what you read about the "much more details, smooth, dynamic, musical blablabla.." online review comments assuming the new toy won't "sound better". But no doubt you will enjoy some of the features not found on the Marantz, such as the much better Genesis's RC UI. If you end up hearing what those Youtubers said they heard then it will be icing on the cake for you, and me too obviously.:)
Yea, I mean overall the internal processing will be better which may be really the only full benefit and the rest you mentioned. I maybe wrong about that as well, but I just consider it like a brand new computer

So far I went from
TV > Marantz
BDP > Marantz. This was a good jump
BDP > Marantz > External Amps.
I think this honestly is an SPL jump but I maybe wrong, it just sounded more full and the bass was more thunderous. Probably getting more watts and when the scenes get dynamic the separate amps probably give more power or dynamic headroom I got no idea

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, I mean overall the internal processing will be better which may be really the only full benefit and the rest you mentioned. I maybe wrong about that as well, but I just consider it like a brand new computer

So far I went from
TV > Marantz
BDP > Marantz. This was a good jump
BDP > Marantz > External Amps.
I think this honestly is an SPL jump but I maybe wrong, it just sounded more full and the bass was more thunderous. Probably getting more watts and when the scenes get dynamic the separate amps probably give more power or dynamic headroom I got no idea

I picked mine up last night. Did a 5 positions ARC calibration, didn't like the result at all, missed my Denon already. To be fair, I spent lots of time trying to perfect the Denon/Audyssey with the Editor App and Ratbuddyssey so I need to at least spend a few hours on Arc especially I am new to it, with no experience whatsoever.

Just checked it with REW before I do the second run. The plots confirmed while it sounded bad. I must have done something wrong with mic positions or something. Like most things about the unit though so far but also missed the Denon's flexibility in settings such as DEQ, DV, HDMI settings etc....

What's the eta of yours?

Top Bottom