• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM60 Review (AV Processor)

Mike-48

Assuming that "A/D" is meant to be "D/A," the 106 dB must be some DAC chip spec, not actual system.

I think "A/D" is correct; in the quote you gave, it's in the context of "using analog sources," which typically are digitized for processing.

And a question . . . after resetting to factory status, did you install any available firmware upgrades from Anthem? I don't know if they exist, and I don't know if they might have improved this badly performing unit. I do know that Anthem makes updates available, that they might affect performance, and that they might need to be installed through its ARC software.

Last edited:

miike888

Ya got me! Semi proud owner of an MRX 710. I keep it because I see no reason to purchase another overpriced receiver, and ARC seems to work fairly well integrating my subs in my listening space. It definitely has its failings but with my 60+ year old ears, it doesn’t offend. Oh yeah. I don’t use the amps either.
So there ya go. My rabid and fanboy fired defense of Anthem. Have at me. I can take it....; )

Hi!:)

i didnt mean owners! I meant people from the company itself.

but thanks for the reply anyway;)

//Mike

Bear123

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You seem to be talking about automatic phase/delay/distance adjustment. Yes, the newer Anthem processors are supposed to do it, and I can confirm that it works well on the STR preamp. Still, I would not characterize the overall quality of a DRC system solely by the presence or absence of this feature, which though desirable, can be accomplished in other ways.
I agree their are workarounds. However, I believe the average consumer buying an AVR will run room correction and expect that the subs and speakers will be properly setup and integrated. A product that consumers think is doing this, but in fact results in very poor integration due to not implementing the most basic requirements of setup, is poor implementation, even if it does a good job on the speakers themselves. It would seem that there are three fairly basic and fundamental things a room correction system should do. Properly eq speakers and set distances, properly integrate subs with speakers, and apply good eq to subs. If any of those three are missing, I would classify the entire system as poor.

On the other hand, if consumers are going into a purchase with the clear distinction from Anthem of "ARC on this product does a good job eq'ing the speakers, but you'll have to figure out some kind of workaround to get good integration with subs", then all is good. This surely is not the case.

DuncanTodd

I agree their are workarounds. However, I believe the average consumer buying an AVR will run room correction and expect that the subs and speakers will be properly setup and integrated. A product that consumers think is doing this, but in fact results in very poor integration due to not implementing the most basic requirements of setup, is poor implementation, even if it does a good job on the speakers themselves. It would seem that there are three fairly basic and fundamental things a room correction system should do. Properly eq speakers and set distances, properly integrate subs with speakers, and apply good eq to subs. If any of those three are missing, I would classify the entire system as poor.

On the other hand, if consumers are going into a purchase with the clear distinction from Anthem of "ARC on this product does a good job eq'ing the speakers, but you'll have to figure out some kind of workaround to get good integration with subs", then all is good. This surely is not the case.
The poor integration you say that ARC is doing is based on measurements of post-calibration setups? You said it's been objectively shown so I'm guessing it is something like that. I didn't read too much about what ARC is doing.
btw, ARC doesn't calculate distances automatically like AUD, you have to measure yourself and input them. I'm fairly sure I saw someone saying it's going to be automated with the new version / new products but that may be also an upcoming feature. When the first customers got their units, ARC was not available at all yet. A buggy beta was released a few days later.

Mike-48

...if consumers are going into a purchase with the clear distinction from Anthem of "ARC on this product does a good job eq'ing the speakers, but you'll have to figure out some kind of workaround to get good integration with subs", then all is good. This surely is not the case.

Oh, sure, I agree with that. And it's not inconsistent with the possibility that ARC could be a better DRC for those who can overcome the phase issue.

I will add that aside from the phase issue, ARC (in my experience) does a great job of integrating subs. I've used subs for about 15 years with a bunch of integration methods, manual and automatic, and the blend (subjectively) is better with ARC than I can remember with other systems. ARC surely is not perfect, but this is an area that I think it does very well -- at least in the newer processors with automatic phase adjustment.

ARC makes its phase adjustment by sweeping repeatedly to find the phase that gives smoothest FR overall. I like that empirical approach, as it's based on reality in the actual room.

Last edited:

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the whole point of a processor was that it can be better optimized for sound quality due to lack of amplifiers interfering with the system AND use higher quality components. So they don't add amps, charge more and still perform worse than their own receiver. I was seriously considering buying this unit due to the brand reputation. Dodged a bullet.

ctakim

Forum Donor
Timely review and like a few other members, I am in the market for an upgraded Pre-Pro for a 5.1 home theater system with option to eventually upgrade to 5.2.2. I had my eye on the Anthem AVM70, but this has given me pause. Maybe I do go with one of the higher end Denon receivers and just bypass the built in amplifier?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem needs to get ahead of this IMO. I think some caution is needed to extrapolate this result, on this unit to all AVM60's and onto their new product line. If Anthem has an issue, they need to contact Amir and arrange to send another AVM60, or provide their own in house test results. It will be interesting to see how they react (if at all).

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Timely review and like a few other members, I am in the market for an upgraded Pre-Pro for a 5.1 home theater system with option to eventually upgrade to 5.2.2. I had my eye on the Anthem AVM70, but this has given me pause. Maybe I do go with one of the higher end Denon receivers and just bypass the built in amplifier?
This is what many are doing instead of purchasing higher priced separates. If you can get by without balanced connections it is a very good way to go... On the Denon/Marantz lineup it is true as well when you compare Denon receivers to Marantz processors. Better performance, lower price, and amps included on the denon receivers.

vlad335

Forum Donor
I thought the whole point of a processor was that it can be better optimized for sound quality due to lack of amplifiers interfering with the system AND use higher quality components. So they don't add amps, charge more and still perform worse than their own receiver. I was seriously considering buying this unit due to the brand reputation. Dodged a bullet.

Yeah, this unit is a steaming pile of garbage.

I was considering a Pre/Pro for my system since I am using a Denon X3600 and out board amps already. I always thought of Anthem as high end but apparently they are not. I almost bought their 5 channel amp last year until i found a used Parasound much cheaper. Good thing I didn't.

Last edited:

Mike-48

I think some caution is needed to extrapolate this result, on this unit to all AVM60's and onto their new product line.

When a product appears broken, maybe it's the sample, maybe it's the model, maybe user error, and maybe some of each. I suppose that's why Stereophile, e.g., both publishes the bad result and contacts the vendor for clarification.

As to extrapolating to newer models, I would find that a dubious approach -- though I understand why people might do it pending a review of the new model.

fordiebianco

Forum Donor
Anthem is not a big box brand and appears to work really hard to bring Audiophile sound to us home theater fans at fair prices.
View attachment 111053

I think the recently tested Denons on ASR are not only delivering better measurements but also better bang for your buck,

HT Upgradeitus

I know the AVM70 has only been for sale for a few days, it always takes new gear a while to get the firmware stabilized for most user configurations so I will withhold judgement this early on a new product's release. The AVM 60 is a 4 yer old design - that's like a millennium in HT products evolution.

Did someone send Amir a messed up unit to review?- does anyone else find the timing of the AVM 60, a 4 year old product's review unusual just 2 days after its successor the AVM 70's release this week? There are no coincidences in Tech. These smaller HT companies rely on us to be fair in our assessments or they won't survive long enough to innovate the entire industry.

Maybe another AVM 60 unit review for comparison is needed to be certain as this review unit definitely showed some issues. "one bad seed doesn't spoil the crop" We never want cancel culture to enter into the Home Theater gear sphere or all that will be left standing will be Denon/ Marantz and Onkyo.

The upgrade to the AVM 70/90 internal hardware and software, better Dacs, ARC Genesis etc upgrades over the outgoing 60 product looks very promising on paper, but the real question is how does the AVM 70 sound?

I have been searching for an HT Pre-Pro and researching so many it has become a bit confusing- ARCAM AV40 Vs Anthem AVM70 or AVM 90VS Denon x8500h AVR +Amps, Bryston SP3, Emotiva RMC-1 VS Krell Foundation Used Vs Marantz AV8805 VS Casablanca IV Used- Each with a few Pluses and a few Minuses for the different price points they fall in.

What to choose, what to choose..are there any other serious contenders to consider?

What I want, is an AV processors that:
  1. Sounds better then 90% of its price point competitors
  2. Has most, if not all of the latest audio formats
  3. Is a solid product, not an experiment when my family wants to use it
  4. Is Reliable
  5. Is hardware upgradable in the future to HDMI 2.1
  6. A manufacturer that pushes out firmware updates in a reasonable time to "fix" issues that will inevitably crop-up.
  7. Sound quality in both 2 channel and surround formats that make watching movies and listening to music a true pleasure
  8. No BS return policy if I am unhappy
Can someone, anyone, rank the sound quality of these Pre-Pros in order of Best to Worst

symphara

I had a home demo of an MRX 720 and I though it sounded really good. I also thought that ARC was competent room EQ for surround sound, and much better than Audyssey. I ended up buying a Marantz 7010 because the Anthem needed three factory resets during the weekend I demo’ed it, and I cannot live with this level of bugs. It was newly released though and I guess Anthem considers their early adopters beta-testers.

I’ve been considering the AVM70, but of course right now it’s a clown show, judging by the forums. Half-broken, full of bugs. This review gives me serious pause.

rccarguy

I know the AVM70 has only been for sale for a few days, it always takes new gear a while to get the firmware stabilized for most user configurations so I will withhold judgement this early on a new product's release. The AVM 60 is a 4 yer old design - that's like a millennium in HT products evolution.

Did someone send Amir a messed up unit to review?- does anyone else find the timing of the AVM 60, a 4 year old product's review unusual just 2 days after its successor the AVM 70's release this week? There are no coincidences in Tech. These smaller HT companies rely on us to be fair in our assessments or they won't survive long enough to innovate the entire industry.

Maybe another AVM 60 unit review for comparison is needed to be certain as this review unit definitely showed some issues. "one bad seed doesn't spoil the crop" We never want cancel culture to enter into the Home Theater gear sphere or all that will be left standing will be Denon/ Marantz and Onkyo.

The upgrade to the AVM 70/90 internal hardware and software, better Dacs, ARC Genesis etc upgrades over the outgoing 60 product looks very promising on paper, but the real question is how does the AVM 70 sound?

I have been searching for an HT Pre-Pro and researching so many it has become a bit confusing- ARCAM AV40 Vs Anthem AVM70 or AVM 90VS Denon x8500h AVR +Amps, Bryston SP3, Emotiva RMC-1 VS Krell Foundation Used Vs Marantz AV8805 VS Casablanca IV Used- Each with a few Pluses and a few Minuses for the different price points they fall in.

What to choose, what to choose..are there any other serious contenders to consider?

4. Is Reliable
  6. A manufacturer that pushes out firmware updates in a reasonable time to "fix" issues that will inevitably crop-up.
  7. Sound quality in both 2 channel and surround formats that make watching movies and listening to music a true pleasure
Can someone, anyone, rank the sound quality of these Pre-Pros in order of Best to Worst

Consider monoprice htp-1?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

4. Is Reliable
Denon X8500. Done. Add external amps if needed.

symphara

4. Is Reliable
The Krell doesn’t even Atmos, it’s too old to be on your list. You can add the Lyngdorf processors though, if you have the money. I’ve been considering the MP-40 together with an HDMI switch.

Top Bottom