• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM 90 Audio Video Preamp/Processor

• Thread starter Deleted member 43441
  • Start date

tparm

Forum Donor
I‘m stuck at finding the right Power Amp. I have my AVM 90 here tomorrow but can‘t use it. Anthem MCA Gen 2 Power Amps or Apollon Purifi…… can someone help me out, making the right decision?
No wrong decision there.... I was using a Parasound A52+ for my 5 base channels and recently went to NAD C298 for my LR channels (I also playback all 2CH music via analog path as described above) and I really like the NAD. Dead quiet, tons of headroom, superior driver control all make for a very tidy sound and it enabled me to start getting my AC infinity fans out of my rack.

AngryMike

No wrong decision there.... I was using a Parasound A52+ for my 5 base channels and recently went to NAD C298 for my LR channels (I also playback all 2CH music via analog path as described above) and I really like the NAD. Dead quiet, tons of headroom, superior driver control all make for a very tidy sound and it enabled me to start getting my AC infinity fans out of my rack.

So, all around, do you think that the NAD is equal to the Purifi, when we primarily look at the sound quality?
I like the look of the matching Anthem Amps, will these things run hot and heat up the room?

tparm

Forum Donor
So, all around, do you think that the NAD is equal to the Purifi, when we primarily look at the sound quality?
I like the look of the matching Anthem Amps, will these things run hot and heat up the room?
NAD uses a house power supply and buffer which I suppose could affect the sound compared to other entities using the Purifi modules, but how much is debatable. I guess most things HiFi are debatable now that I think of it haha. I don't have personal experience with the Anthem's but by nature they will run warmer than most Class D. At least the front two or three channels. I believe the Anthem design to be a very good one but I have begun a slow migration to Class D all around.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I'm on a migration to Class D, also. (I need Ghent Audio to reopen because they sent me the wrong cable set for my Hypex build.) I see no reason to shy away from any good implementation of either Hypex or Purifi gear.

AngryMike

NAD uses a house power supply and buffer which I suppose could affect the sound compared to other entities using the Purifi modules, but how much is debatable. I guess most things HiFi are debatable now that I think of it haha. I don't have personal experience with the Anthem's but by nature they will run warmer than most Class D. At least the front two or three channels. I believe the Anthem design to be a very good one but I have begun a slow migration to Class D all around.
I‘ve made a mistake in my formulation before…. i meant, if you think, that the NAD is equal to the Parasound you‘ve had before, in terms of sound quality?

tparm

Forum Donor
I‘ve made a mistake in my formulation before…. i meant, if you think, that the NAD is equal to the Parasound you‘ve had before, in terms of sound quality?
Oh gotcha, sorry. So my subjective views are its more controlled in lower frequencies, surprisingly more sweet while also being more open in the treble and not quite as cozy in the midrange but sounds more lifelike in those regions. The soundstage is also deeper while not necessarily wider. I prefer it so I sold my A52+.

AngryMike

Oh gotcha, sorry. So my subjective views are its more controlled in lower frequencies, surprisingly more sweet while also being more open in the treble and not quite as cozy in the midrange but sounds more lifelike in those regions. The soundstage is also deeper while not necessarily wider. I prefer it so I sold my A52+.
That sounds really good, thank you for the explanation. The Apollon multichannel amp with the switchable gain could be a good match, otherwise….. Brand Synergy….. it‘s difficult.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Any one had the privilege of comparing the AVM 90 and Alt 16?
I was going to buy an AVM 90 but it was delayed and delayed and delayed. It is now out and has fewer bugs than the AVM70 had on its release. It would probably be fine. You should read both instruction manuals to compare the options and customization offered by the two.

The Trinnov would have a seemingly endless amount of cross over choices (types and slopes), speaker placement settings and room EQ options (including 3D remapping) and then there are all the different settings for each source. And then there is the customer service of Trinnov vs Anthem. I will let you just read the owner’s forum of each.

I bought my Trinnov over the holidays and was getting customer support emails from Paris on Xmas eve night. I also have the email and cell phone numbers of the US leading reps. I get a reply in less than two hours usually. Oh and Trinnov can dial in remotely to fix any unforeseen issues. I’ve had none. I’m very happy.

Andyg400

I was going to buy an AVM 90 but it was delayed and delayed and delayed. It is now out and has fewer bugs than the AVM70 had on its release. It would probably be fine. You should read both instruction manuals to compare the options and customization offered by the two.

The Trinnov would have a seemingly endless amount of cross over choices (types and slopes), speaker placement settings and room EQ options (including 3D remapping) and then there are all the different settings for each source. And then there is the customer service of Trinnov vs Anthem. I will let you just read the owner’s forum of each.

I bought my Trinnov over the holidays and was getting customer support emails from Paris on Xmas eve night. I also have the email and cell phone numbers of the US leading reps. I get a reply in less than two hours usually. Oh and Trinnov can dial in remotely to fix any unforeseen issues. I’ve had none. I’m very happy.
However the Trinnov(£14k) is double the price of the AVM90 comparing UK prices ....

Golfx

Forum Donor
However the Trinnov(£14k) is double the price of the AVM90 comparing UK prices ....
Well yeah. If I had bought an “interim” AVP like the Anthem I would have kept it for 2-3 years before trading up to the trinnov. So I actually saved money.

Descartes

Major Contributor

Too bad they cost twice as much!

Golfx

Forum Donor

Bigbro

Hi sorry to barge in I am a newbie. Bought the AVM 70 14 days ago. Had kind of a learning process where getting Dolby Atmos out of my LG C8 Oled using a Netflix app was the hardest. It just did not turn to Atmos but remained saying Dolby Surround. Then suddenly today It worked. Now I've got one question left. I am a user of Qobuz and it works fine using the avm 70 using airplay but it does not go up to 192/24/48. It sticks with 44/48/16. Is this normal and do I need to get a separate streamer to enjoy the higher codec? Would really like to hear from you pro s

Golfx

Forum Donor
I believe Airplay2 is limited to 44Khz. Also Anthem likely down samples hi-res music to 48Khz unless you turn off ARC by using ”direct“ sound mode which shuts off room EQ processing—which requires down sampling to accommodate the extra processing.

Until and if Anthem brings roon ready you might be stuck to 44Khz. But none of us can hear the difference anyway. It is just nice to see it displayed as advertised.

Bigbro

@Golfx are you actualy saying that all the fuzz about ALAC FLAC DSD etc is bogus in the way that we can not hear the difference between a cd and those formats? That streamers that cost over USD 20.000 are a waste of money?

Golfx

Forum Donor
@Golfx are you actualy saying that all the fuzz about ALAC FLAC DSD etc is bogus in the way that we can not hear the difference between a cd and those formats? That streamers that cost over USD 20.000 are a waste of money?
A quick google search will back that opinion—yes. However, there is a good deal of snob satisfaction from owning high end gear.

Last edited:

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe Airplay2 is limited to 44Khz. Also Anthem likely down samples hi-res music to 48Khz unless you turn off ARC by using ”direct“ sound mode which shuts off room EQ processing—which requires down sampling to accommodate the extra processing.

Until and if Anthem brings roon ready you might be stuck to 44Khz. But none of us can hear the difference anyway. It is just nice to see it displayed as advertised.
Anthem adc is 96khz and I believe their dsp supports it as well per this review of the mrx line of the same generation.

Golfx

Forum Donor
Anthem adc is 96khz and I believe their dsp supports it as well per this review of the mrx line of the same generation.
Well thanks for the clarification. It was a good review and Anthem was no doubt pleased and should be proud.

I did not read where it maintains 96khz while simultaneously processing room EQ. But no doubt has a listening mode similar to “direct” or “pure direct” which shuts off unnecessary processing for the purists and headphone users thus allowing 96khz.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well thanks for the clarification. It was a good review and Anthem was no doubt pleased and should be proud.

I did not read where it maintains 96khz while simultaneously processing room EQ. But no doubt has a listening mode similar to “direct” or “pure direct” which shuts off unnecessary processing for the purists and headphone users thus allowing 96khz.
I found this as well from Anthem. It states ARC supports up to 96khz without downsampling. It doesn't specify which models have the hardware to do that though...

Top Bottom