• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM 90 Audio Video Preamp/Processor

• Thread starter Deleted member 43441
  • Start date

ex audiophile

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If you can group them into two groups of two and the grouped two are more or less equidistance, then two independent sub outs such as that offered by the D+M AVRs/AVPs should be able to do a good job, without using any minidsp that are limited to 2 V max and would create more cable cluttering without little to gain. That would be the case with Audyssey but I would think ARC Genesis should be just as good, or better.
external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

" Excellent"

Sam Ash

I look forward to a review of the AVM 90. By the way the SINAD difference between the Trinnov Altitude 16 and Anthem AVM 70 is just one point. I know the Trinnov is superior for it's immense setup flexibility and remapping ability but in terms of sound fidelity is the AVM 70 nearly as good as the Altitude 16?

Descartes

Major Contributor
I look forward to a review of the AVM 90. By the way the SINAD difference between the Trinnov Altitude 16 and Anthem AVM 70 is just one point. I know the Trinnov is superior for it's immense setup flexibility and remapping ability but in terms of sound fidelity is the AVM 70 nearly as good as the Altitude 16?
The Trinnov Altitude 16 is a lot more money $17,000 and can’t do 4 independent subs.
From that perspective the Anthem sounds like a bargain if it performs well!
If only Monoprice updated their pre-pro

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
There is also a video from Audio Advice (obnoxious but informative) that details the features of the AVM90, including HDMI 2.1, Spotify Connect etc. The only thing still pending is Roon functionality.

Golfx

Forum Donor
There is also a video from Audio Advice (obnoxious but informative) that details the features of the AVM90, including HDMI 2.1, Spotify Connect etc. The only thing still pending is Roon functionality.
I remember being intrigued by their marketing. When was that? Let’s see, oh yes over a year ago. This launch has been plagued by missed dates and they have probably lost the confidence of many potential customers. I was one of them.

ex audiophile

Forum Donor
I remember being intrigued by their marketing. When was that? Let’s see, oh yes over a year ago. This launch has been plagued by missed dates and they have probably lost the confidence of many potential customers. I was one of them.
There certainly have been missteps but we'll never know all the reasons. However, the critical lack of components has affected most manufacturers. In the case of the AVM90 we now have a more mature product with features (2.1, Spotify C.) that were lacking early on. I have the AVM60 and plan to upgrade to the AVM90 but I want to see some objective evaluations of the unit compared to other processors. I see the main reason to upgrade as the improved ARC functionality compared to the AVM60, esp since I have 4 subs. I watched a video last night
that detailed the experience of one user who compared the results before and after using the most recent beta upgrade of ARC Genesis (phase and time alignment features). The video is long and tedious but eventually you see that the beta program did not work well (as assessed using REW) but the guy was able to largely fix it with manual tweeks. So maybe it's best to hold off for a while. Until Amir gets an AVM90 in for testing it will be a gamble.

Golfx

Forum Donor
There certainly have been missteps but we'll never know all the reasons. However, the critical lack of components has affected most manufacturers. In the case of the AVM90 we now have a more mature product with features (2.1, Spotify C.) that were lacking early on. I have the AVM60 and plan to upgrade to the AVM90 but I want to see some objective evaluations of the unit compared to other processors. I see the main reason to upgrade as the improved ARC functionality compared to the AVM60, esp since I have 4 subs. I watched a video last night
that detailed the experience of one user who compared the results before and after using the most recent beta upgrade of ARC Genesis (phase and time alignment features). The video is long and tedious but eventually you see that the beta program did not work well (as assessed using REW) but the guy was able to largely fix it with manual tweeks. So maybe it's best to hold off for a while. Until Amir gets an AVM90 in for testing it will be a gamble.
Well said. No harm will come to those who wait. It is just sad to see such a well regarded brand lose its reputation for quality products, quality assurance and customer service. I want the 90 to succeed.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Trinnov Altitude 16 is a lot more money $17,000 and can’t do 4 independent subs.
From that perspective the Anthem sounds like a bargain if it performs well!
If only Monoprice updated their pre-pro
I don’t own the Altitude, but are you sure about not being able to do 4 independent subs?

Yogi42

I got one of three in a shipment. All sold instantly, and is it
price worth than double of the AVM 70. A resounding—-yes.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I got one of three in a shipment. All sold instantly, and is it
price worth than double of the AVM 70. A resounding—-yes.
Congratulations, please send to Amir to see if your subjective impression is backed up by scientific data measurements!

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Having 4 sub outs is great, but we still need some verification of how it handles multiple subs. For me, I would need for it to be verified that it does the following:

-automatically EQ subs independently in a correct manner
-correctly implement subs/mains integration without user intervention
-improve seat to seat variation (like MSO and DLBC)

The appeal of the 90 over the 70 is 4 sub outs (to me). But if it doesn’t do the above, it would be a no go...
It will be interesting as their beta version of ARC gets out more and gets out of beta, to see how well it handles multiple subs.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Having 4 sub outs is great, but we still need some verification of how it handles multiple subs. For me, I would need for it to be verified that it does the following:

-automatically EQ subs independently in a correct manner
-correctly implement subs/mains integration without user intervention
-improve seat to seat variation (like MSO and DLBC)

The appeal of the 90 over the 70 is 4 sub outs (to me). But if it doesn’t do the above, it would be a no go...
It will be interesting as their beta version of ARC gets out more and gets out of beta, to see how well it handles multiple subs.
I agree.
Knowing that they are 4 independent channels is great and your main points above are solid. The efficacy of Anthem's implementation is what is key.
Personally, I don't mind so much if I would still need to do some further manual tweaks. That said, it should absolutely not require an external device to do it.
Otherwise, I could just buy the next Yammy or Marantz Processor and a MiniDSP unit and presumably save a few K. :rolleyes:

(Of course, by the time I am ready to make a purchase decision, I'm also hoping the Monolith-ATI marriage produces a more mature offering. That and the SDP-58 is fully vetted by then. *fingers crossed)

Vacceo

Major Contributor
If the AVM90 archives a better engineering standard and effectively pushes other brands to improve the basic engineering, its very existence is absolutely justified.

Top Bottom