• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem AVM 90 Audio Video Preamp/Processor

• Thread starter Deleted member 43441
  • Start date

tparm

Forum Donor
I‘m stuck at finding the right Power Amp. I have my AVM 90 here tomorrow but can‘t use it. Anthem MCA Gen 2 Power Amps or Apollon Purifi…… can someone help me out, making the right decision?
No wrong decision there.... I was using a Parasound A52+ for my 5 base channels and recently went to NAD C298 for my LR channels (I also playback all 2CH music via analog path as described above) and I really like the NAD. Dead quiet, tons of headroom, superior driver control all make for a very tidy sound and it enabled me to start getting my AC infinity fans out of my rack.

AngryMike

No wrong decision there.... I was using a Parasound A52+ for my 5 base channels and recently went to NAD C298 for my LR channels (I also playback all 2CH music via analog path as described above) and I really like the NAD. Dead quiet, tons of headroom, superior driver control all make for a very tidy sound and it enabled me to start getting my AC infinity fans out of my rack.

So, all around, do you think that the NAD is equal to the Purifi, when we primarily look at the sound quality?
I like the look of the matching Anthem Amps, will these things run hot and heat up the room?

tparm

Forum Donor
So, all around, do you think that the NAD is equal to the Purifi, when we primarily look at the sound quality?
I like the look of the matching Anthem Amps, will these things run hot and heat up the room?
NAD uses a house power supply and buffer which I suppose could affect the sound compared to other entities using the Purifi modules, but how much is debatable. I guess most things HiFi are debatable now that I think of it haha. I don't have personal experience with the Anthem's but by nature they will run warmer than most Class D. At least the front two or three channels. I believe the Anthem design to be a very good one but I have begun a slow migration to Class D all around.

ryanosaur

I'm on a migration to Class D, also. (I need Ghent Audio to reopen because they sent me the wrong cable set for my Hypex build.) I see no reason to shy away from any good implementation of either Hypex or Purifi gear.

AngryMike

NAD uses a house power supply and buffer which I suppose could affect the sound compared to other entities using the Purifi modules, but how much is debatable. I guess most things HiFi are debatable now that I think of it haha. I don't have personal experience with the Anthem's but by nature they will run warmer than most Class D. At least the front two or three channels. I believe the Anthem design to be a very good one but I have begun a slow migration to Class D all around.
I‘ve made a mistake in my formulation before…. i meant, if you think, that the NAD is equal to the Parasound you‘ve had before, in terms of sound quality?

tparm

Forum Donor
I‘ve made a mistake in my formulation before…. i meant, if you think, that the NAD is equal to the Parasound you‘ve had before, in terms of sound quality?
Oh gotcha, sorry. So my subjective views are its more controlled in lower frequencies, surprisingly more sweet while also being more open in the treble and not quite as cozy in the midrange but sounds more lifelike in those regions. The soundstage is also deeper while not necessarily wider. I prefer it so I sold my A52+.

AngryMike

Oh gotcha, sorry. So my subjective views are its more controlled in lower frequencies, surprisingly more sweet while also being more open in the treble and not quite as cozy in the midrange but sounds more lifelike in those regions. The soundstage is also deeper while not necessarily wider. I prefer it so I sold my A52+.
That sounds really good, thank you for the explanation. The Apollon multichannel amp with the switchable gain could be a good match, otherwise….. Brand Synergy….. it‘s difficult.

Top Bottom