• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anthem 1140 or Denon X6700h.

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I’m struggling here hoping for some input or advice.

I was going to get the 1140 - but holy early release problems? Plus I understand now that 4th quarter this year they will have the hdmi 2.1 upgrade as base model - early adopters will need to deal with the bugs and glitches an Anthem hopefully catches up. So I understand this and am still considering the 1140.
my last “really piss me off about the Anthem is the no analog pass through. None! Even a $200 AVR has this but not the anthem. So I cannot run thru a good DAC (it’s the old AVM 4458 in the MRX) to the 1140. the result is if I wanted to run the fronts as a 2 channel it is not able to pass a signal thru without internal re-processing. That’s the near deal breaker or actual deal breaker.

the other option for me is the Denon x6700h. I historically never considered the Denons as equal to the Anthems or better “stuff”. But the above plus the ASR review on the 60 has me nervous and definitely not trusting.
‘on to the Denon. Same place - ASR review caught Denon pulling a fast one on everybody. The unit appears to test better on ASR after their (cherry picked?) updated capacitors. Now Denon doesn’t voluntarily correct these - only if demanded. My suspicion is they save $$$ and operate corporate - no one will know if we switch and provide the better caps or not. So I have no confidence I’d get what I’m trying to buy from them. Then add the bugs from launch and the hdmi 2.1 challenges.....

‘’in summary - can I believe that Denon has made these Cap updates on the units? I hope so.....

‘what to do......I just retired/removed/sold my Anthem D2V.
if anyone has thoughts or suggestions - please feel free to comment correct or just tell me your opinion....

thank you

Last edited:

nonametofame

At this stage, I would just buy for features. Skip on the new stuff, let the early adopters be the beta testers, and buy at a massive discount when they jump to the latest and greatest. Convenience always trumps performance.
I picked up an NAD 758v3 knowing full well it's literally the worse measured product, seemingly in the history of electronics, and it sounds great to me. It's stable, does what its intended, and has a killer feature combo of BluOS, and Dirac. They both work, and it performs well for my room & setup.
I owned Denon and Marantz before too. They also both sound good, but I hate HEOS, and audyssey is inferior compared to Dirac.
So just buy it for what you need, 16 ch? analog pass through? Dirac? Light up remote? Earc? Get the one that checks off the boxes for what you need.

OP
Duraace9sp

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
LOL -

Thanks. I found my Amp(s) dead and Spectron (John Ulrich) is no more so cannot get them repaired. So if separates again I have no amplification and Im not to willing to spend at that level = so AVR for everything.

Id like 11 channels and 2 sub control
Id like turn it on and it works - each time
Good Stereo - not opposed to en external DAC or necessarily demanding one either

Thx

nonametofame

I think the Denon 6700 is a safe choice, and I'd bet you'll be very happy with it.

Id like 11 channels and 2 sub control - check (dual subwoofer outputs that can be measured, delayed, and leveled independently)
Id like turn it on and it works - each time - check (in the AVR world, nobody beats Denon/Marantz in stability/reliability)
Good Stereo - not opposed to en external DAC or necessarily demanding one either - check (good, but probably not groundbreaking)

I used to own the Denon 4300. Checks all the boxes as well, except the 2 sub outputs are wired in parallel. I bought it new for $900 in 2016, sold it in near new condition in 2019 for $500.
Recently, I've seen it going for $600. I bet they're still going strong. And in the world of AVRs, when have you seen a 5 year dinosaur hold its value that well?

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m struggling here hoping for some input or advice.

I was going to get the 1140 - but holy early release problems? Plus I understand now that 4th quarter this year they will have the hdmi 2.1 upgrade as base model - early adopters will need to deal with the bugs and glitches an Anthem hopefully catches up. So I understand this and am still considering the 1140.
my last “really piss me off about the Anthem is the no analog pass through. None! Even a $200 AVR has this but not the anthem. So I cannot run thru a good DAC (it’s the old AVM 4458 in the MRX) to the 1140. the result is if I wanted to run the fronts as a 2 channel it is not able to pass a signal thru without internal re-processing. That’s the near deal breaker or actual deal breaker.

the other option for me is the Denon x6700h. I historically never considered the Denons as equal to the Anthems or better “stuff”. But the above plus the ASR review on the 60 has me nervous and definitely not trusting.
‘on to the Denon. Same place - ASR review caught Denon pulling a fast one on everybody. The unit appears to test better on ASR after their (cherry picked?) updated capacitors. Now Denon doesn’t voluntarily correct these - only if demanded. My suspicion is they save $$$ and operate corporate - no one will know if we switch and provide the better caps or not. So I have no confidence I’d get what I’m trying to buy from them. Then add the bugs from launch and the hdmi 2.1 challenges.....

‘’in summary - can I believe that Denon has made these Cap updates on the units? I hope so.....

‘what to do......I just retired/removed/sold my Anthem D2V.
if anyone has thoughts or suggestions - please feel free to comment correct or just tell me your opinion....

thank you
Just a couple of thoughts...
-If you don't need 13 channels, maybe go x4700. The difference in power is pretty irrelevant.
-Save yourself grief and get something that is fully functional and solid. This would lead me towards Denon as well, but there may be other brands that work as they should as well. I would expect Anthem will be like this at some point as well. But don't ever buy something that the bugs will get worked out. Either wait until ready, or go with a different brand. I don't understand releasing products that aren't fully functional or without major bugs...

OP
Duraace9sp

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
The last wildcard is tough to drive speakers that are nominally 4ohm and demand a lot.....
plus another I forgot for a moment...

no usb in/out for a source (DAC, etc) on the Anthems.

Last edited:
OP
Duraace9sp

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
I opted for - neither. Was going down that path as my amp crapped out....

just “re-amplified” so it leaning to htp1 with open mind to AVM70 (terrible roll-out) or others.....

thx

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you want good stereo why not consider going with the HT bypass solution? Hook an integrated amp or preamp with HT bypass on your AV receiver/processor front LR pre-outs, and you’re set for movies. Then when you want to listen to stereo, just change the input on your good [pre]amp to whatever high-quality source you want.

OP
Duraace9sp

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Thanks - I’ve since elected for seperates. I was thinking receiver as my big 7 channel died. Now elected to buy new amps as well.....

thank you for the reply!

OP
Duraace9sp

Duraace9sp

Forum Donor
Htp1.......jury still out but performance / function against cost there’s really not much yet that swayed me away. I had intended “other brand(s) but either the sheer volume of problems or perceived performance has me back at htp1.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've never considered Anthem avrs to be on par with Denon personally, they just haven't shown themselves to be particuarly outstanding in that arena let alone cost competitive.

DJ LP

Htp1.......jury still out but performance / function against cost there’s really not much yet that swayed me away. I had intended “other brand(s) but either the sheer volume of problems or perceived performance has me back at htp1.
I don't know if you have purchased anything yet. If you didn't, I can tell you that I have an Anthem AVM-70 and I haven't not 1 problem. No bugs or anything. I've had mine for about 5 weeks. It replaced my Denon AVR-5308ci that I started using as a pre amp.

Top Bottom