• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANTELOPE AUDIO ZEN GO SYNERGY CORE 4X8 USB-C AUDIO INTERFACE

korayem

Thanks. But it still looks like the FX is being applied to the inputs (in this case "virtual inputs" Computer Play), rather than to the output as a whole.
So: with your setup, you'd hear a non-EQd signal from the microphone/preamp. You could copy-paste the EQ to the mic input, but then the mic would be recorded with an EQ, which is not what I want. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Actually, I applied the EQ to the output, not input. Notice I chose Computer Play 1+2 (PAN set to -30 and 30 for Left+Right channel and used LINK to have volume and applied DSP EQ share same settings for both output channels).

From the manual:
  • Outputs 1 - 8 in your DAW correspond to the channels labeled 'PLAY 1 - 8' in the 'FROM DAW' row. These channels can be chosen as audio inputs from the input selectors.
  • Assign Output 1 - 8 to any audio track you want to take outside your DAW. In the Control Panel, simply click and choose 'COMPUTER PLAY' 1 - 8.
This gives you another option: You can also use a VST EQ in your DAW and apply different EQ to different outputs as you wished.

And it looks like the two output pairs are separated in the driver. So to switch between monitor/HP1 and HP2 you need to go into settings and change outputs (from 1/2 to 3/4, for example), rather than just lower the volume of one of them.
You can use all outputs simultaneously. You can listen through two headphones connected to HP1/HP2 as well as monitor and line output. The Antelope Mixer gives you control over individual output volume by moving the faders.

BeerBear

Actually, I applied the EQ to the output, not input.
Just to confirm: Let's say you're listening to the mic input directly, either on HP1 or HP2, without going through any software/DAW on the PC.
Does the EQ that you set up for "Computer Play" apply to that or not?

korayem

Just to confirm: Let's say you're listening to the mic input directly, either on HP1 or HP2, without going through any software/DAW on the PC.
Does the EQ that you set up for "Computer Play" apply to that or not?
Of course it gets applied. I mean what will the point be of adding an effect on "computer play" if it doesnt do anything.

You can apply effects on inputs and outputs separately.

When I watch Netflix or listen to music on spotify, I like to through in some effects to "enhance" the sounds

BeerBear

Of course it gets applied. I mean what will the point be of adding an effect on "computer play" if it doesnt do anything.
I wasn't suggesting that it doesn't do anything. But the name "Computer Play" sounds like something that includes audio coming from the computer (DAW, media players...), rather than audio coming from everywhere, including the microphone.

The manual also describes "Computer Play" as a category that is similar, but separate from the analog inputs:

antelope zen go.png

So, it's not at all clear that "Computer Play" FX applies to everything.
And what if someone — unlike me — doesn't want his mic audio to be affected by the FX applied to "Computer Play"? How do you turn it off for the mic, while keeping it enabled for other sounds?
I hope you can see how this is a bit confusing, if it works the way you describe.

korayem

Ah OK gotcha

Assuming your mic is hooked to preamp 1 input. You can add it twice, one with the FX and another without any FX.

Then to listen to the one without any FX, you can set the volume up.

Pietro

Hi ZEN GO users,
Is it possible to change default meters on home screen (Analog / SPDIF / HP1) to different "user-based" combination?

Antonio.H

hi, I wanted some clarifications regarding my zen go usb. I use the card only to change the voice and once the jn plugs have been chosen and activated, if I make changes I hear them in my headphones but if I go to send them the changes HAVE NO EFFECT!! I would like to understand with your help why?? Thank you.

jdjung

I wasn't suggesting that it doesn't do anything. But the name "Computer Play" sounds like something that includes audio coming from the computer (DAW, media players...), rather than audio coming from everywhere, including the microphone.

The manual also describes "Computer Play" as a category that is similar, but separate from the analog inputs:

View attachment 201207
So, it's not at all clear that "Computer Play" FX applies to everything.
And what if someone — unlike me — doesn't want his mic audio to be affected by the FX applied to "Computer Play"? How do you turn it off for the mic, while keeping it enabled for other sounds?
I hope you can see how this is a bit confusing, if it works the way you describe.
Hi, I don't even know if you're still paying attention to this post, but I have the Zen Q not the Zen Go, but I believe my answer will be the same. The Zen Q audio routing is pretty damn amazing. It does take a learning curve, but once learned it's pretty simple. You have a total of 10 outputs and 14 inputs on the Zen Q. I believe the Zen Go has 4 inputs and 8 outputs, (2 for headphone 1, 2 for headphone 2, 2 balanced 1/4 inch outputs and 2 for coaxial) .

The monitor and headphones are mirrored. Antelope audio, when you look at their Mixer Software has three stages on the left side of the software. The three stages are Monitor/HP1, Headphones 2 and Line Out. You select the output on the left and which effects go to each of the three stages is controlled by each channel strip. Any input effects you add to your channel strip for any of the stages will be applied to all three stages. Only the muting, and volume for each channel strip is independent for each stage.

Now if you don't want your MIC to be effected, it won't be because the effect is only being applied to Computer Play 1 and 2. So if you're in a meeting and want EQ to apply to people you are listening to it's possible with you not having ANY effect on your voice. You can have different effects applied to each input. This is also great for live streaming. You can have your music in the background have effects but have no effects on your voice, vice versa, or both with different effects for each channel. It's very powerful.

Attachments

• ZenQ Software Photo.jpg
    ZenQ Software Photo.jpg
    349.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

jdjung

hi, I wanted some clarifications regarding my zen go usb. I use the card only to change the voice and once the jn plugs have been chosen and activated, if I make changes I hear them in my headphones but if I go to send them the changes HAVE NO EFFECT!! I would like to understand with your help why?? Thank you.
Where are you sending them to? If you're sending them to your DAW, you have to make sure that the input is from the correct channel strip. In fact, you can record both a clean signal and a effected signal, just add two MIC 1 in two separate channel strips. When recording in your DAW make sure to have one recording from one channel and the other to the second channel. This lets you record both at the same time, one with effects and the other as clean. Here is a video from a Youtuber that shows how to do this. Go to 21:32 and he goes through it.

jdjung

Hi ZEN GO users,
Is it possible to change default meters on home screen (Analog / SPDIF / HP1) to different "user-based" combination?
I wish. I have not been able to determine this but if you did find an answer let me know.

BeerBear

Hi, I don't even know if you're still paying attention to this post, but I have the Zen Q not the Zen Go, but I believe my answer will be the same. The Zen Q audio routing is pretty damn amazing. It does take a learning curve, but once learned it's pretty simple. You have a total of 10 outputs and 14 inputs on the Zen Q. I believe the Zen Go has 4 inputs and 8 outputs, (2 for headphone 1, 2 for headphone 2, 2 balanced 1/4 inch outputs and 2 for coaxial) .

The monitor and headphones are mirrored. Antelope audio, when you look at their Mixer Software has three stages on the left side of the software. The three stages are Monitor/HP1, Headphones 2 and Line Out. You select the output on the left and which effects go to each of the three stages is controlled by each channel strip. Any input effects you add to your channel strip for any of the stages will be applied to all three stages. Only the muting, and volume for each channel strip is independent for each stage.

Now if you don't want your MIC to be effected, it won't be because the effect is only being applied to Computer Play 1 and 2. So if you're in a meeting and want EQ to apply to people you are listening to it's possible with you not having ANY effect on your voice. You can have different effects applied to each input. This is also great for live streaming. You can have your music in the background have effects but have no effects on your voice, vice versa, or both with different effects for each channel. It's very powerful.
Thanks. I think by now I have a good idea of how it works.
Just to summarize, hopefully more clearly, what I'm after: I want corrective EQ to be always applied to headphones and speakers (different EQ settings for each, of course). And that EQ should work regardless of what sounds I'm hearing through the Antelope, whether I'm monitoring a mic or a guitar or playing Youtube videos... because I'm not interested in EQing the source, but the destination — headphones and speakers.

It looks like this can probably all be achieved with the Zen Go by making separate mixes, as shown in this post, but it's just not very efficient. And some extra steps will be required when recording/streaming, if I want the signals to be recorded/streamed clean and not EQd.
This could have been solved much more elegantly, if the Zen Go had FX slots for the headphone and speaker outputs.

But besides that, I can see that the routing is quite flexible and there's some cool functionality there. The only question that remains for me is which mix does the SPDIF output get, the MONITOR/HP1 or the HP2? Or a separate one with no FX?

Leaving that aside, the one thing that would still stop me from buying this is the requirement to be online and sign into an account just to be able to use the device. I can't believe they would do something like that. I guess most people don't mind, but still. :facepalm:
I really hope they reconsider that and maybe do some changes to the mixer for the things I was talking about. Because it has the potential to be a great device.
Oh and having more bands in ClearQ would be nice too. Why not have at least 10 bands, there's plenty of power.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Leaving that aside, the one thing that would still stop me from buying this is the requirement to be online and sign into an account just to be able to use the device. I can't believe they would do something like that. I guess most people don't mind, but still. :facepalm:
That stops me from buying anything that I find it on. If I have to be online for it to work, it is a no-go. period.

jdjung

Thanks. I think by now I have a good idea of how it works.
Just to summarize, hopefully more clearly, what I'm after: I want corrective EQ to be always applied to headphones and speakers (different EQ settings for each, of course). And that EQ should work regardless of what sounds I'm hearing through the Antelope, whether I'm monitoring a mic or a guitar or playing Youtube videos... because I'm not interested in EQing the source, but the destination — headphones and speakers.

It looks like this can probably all be achieved with the Zen Go by making separate mixes, as shown in this post, but it's just not very efficient. And some extra steps will be required when recording/streaming, if I want the signals to be recorded/streamed clean and not EQd.
This could have been solved much more elegantly, if the Zen Go had FX slots for the headphone and speaker outputs.

But besides that, I can see that the routing is quite flexible and there's some cool functionality there. The only question that remains for me is which mix does the SPDIF output get, the MONITOR/HP1 or the HP2? Or a separate one with no FX?

I really hope they reconsider that and maybe do some changes to the mixer for the things I was talking about. Because it has the potential to be a great device.
Oh and having more bands in ClearQ would be nice too. Why not have at least 10 bands, there's plenty of power.I agree with you on the bands. The default eq should have more bands and flexibility, and some of the other EQ plugins are so boutique that it takes experimentation on how it really effects the sound.I agree with you on the bands. The default eq should have more bands and flexibility, and some of the other EQ plugins are so boutique that it takes experimentation on how it really effects the sound.
Yeah I agree, a better EQ would have been nice for their free plugins. However right now, which has kinda pissed off all of the previous buyers of their interfaces and spent thousands on their plugins, ALL of their effects/plugins are free if you buy their audio interfaces right now. So if you're knowledgeable on how to use the boutique EQ effects, you have a ton of options. It's also annoying that you need to login to use the software. However, if you set your interface up and don't want to make changes in your software you can use it stand alone and just use the hardware to set your gain levels, mute and etc.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
another data point on Antelope. I bought a very expensive Goliath. It had a lot of features and looked fantastics for recording on the go, plus myriad of features and channels. All great except that it was full of bugs which is the opposite of what I wanted. After 3 weeks of fights with firmware and support, I returned it. I baught a RME
instead and never got an issue. I will not buy again from them. I now stay with DAD, RME and if i really need to Avid.

threefour

I think a bigger reason is 2-3 years ago they had a period of horrid software problems. Then the units had to phone home each time you fired them up. Each update would brick your unit temporarily about half the time. It became such an issue Sweetwater dropped the entire Antelope line over it. They were worse than useless at helping you get it unbricked. Users had to figure it out and for a time Antelope had a head in the sand attitude over it. If you were a music pro obviously this was intolerable. As an amateur I was highly inconvenienced and unhappy. I very nearly put mine up for sale willing to take whatever it brought which wouldn't have been much at the time.

Also at that time they had dropped support for a whole bunch of their relatively recent products when they offered new models. So some people had a multi-thousand dollar unit that was only a year or two out from its introduction which suddenly was not going to get future software updates. Also some of those units were promised future emulations which never happened. They ended up charging for them.

They promised they were expanding their own software division, and were going to do much better in the future. Since that time they have. But it isn't the first time this company has done such things. In the last couple years my Zen Tour (predecessor to the unit above) has been flawless. You also no longer have to phone home each time you fire it up. I like the gear, it works very well. The Zen Core is supposed to be equal in performance for less money. The emulations are excellent. It might well be unbeatable for the price.

As a hobbyist and not a terribly serious one in regards to recording, I'll put up with all that. Were I pro making my living I'd not touch anything the company makes with a ten foot pole.

If they've really turned the corner however, might be a good unit to get.
I'm in the market for an audio interface now, and realize that software compatibility and usability may be the biggest "cost" to the ownership experience. By the time you're done dealing with poor ease of use, compatibility, and bugs you've spent so much time you could have bought something much more expensive.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm in the market for an audio interface now, and realize that software compatibility and usability may be the biggest "cost" to the ownership experience. By the time you're done dealing with poor ease of use, compatibility, and bugs you've spent so much time you could have bought something much more expensive.
Like I said in the post you quoted, were I using it for making a living I wouldn't touch it. However, so far they have gotten their act together. So you wouldn't be wasting time or fighting bugs. If you are not getting paid, it is a good deal I think currently.

jdjung

Like I said in the post you quoted, were I using it for making a living I wouldn't touch it. However, so far they have gotten their act together. So you wouldn't be wasting time or fighting bugs. If you are not getting paid, it is a good deal I think currently.
I was going to buy the Motu, but when I bought my Zen Q, it came with all of the plugins as well as a Antelope Audio Edge Solo, plus had 10% off on it. Smashing deal for me. I had a Motu Track 16 and it had a ton of bugs as well. I'm pretty happy with my decision. I saw another post where someone was complaining about the mic modeling and could not tell the difference much. I don't believe he was using it right. The modeling has to be set up in two locations for it to work, both the pop out box as well as the AFX section of the mixer. It's VERY obvious the differences between the different models for the modeling.

Top Bottom