• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another where do I go next thread - help before I go insane

OP
T

Tidaliser

Ok I've tried my DT770 cans on my full sized Marantz amp, much the same result as my magni 3 amp, lacks volume and distorts if you push them too far, I think I know why.

From the Beyerdynamic DT770 specs "Power handling capacity . . . . . . . . . . . . 100 mW "

M50X specs "1,600 mW at 1 kHz"

Yeah I know RMS, peak, max wattage, sensitivity, specmanship is another can of worms but at face value 16 x the power handling of the DT770 cans is massive, whether it's 2x or 10x either way the M50's I'd say can handle the wattage / produce satisfying volume whereas the DT770's can't. The DT770 cans have to go back to Amazon, kind of shocked because so many users are happy with the DT770's

OP
T

Tidaliser

Ok I think I've got my next cans Monoprice Monolith M565C, to quote a reviewer on Amazon "they blow away my other closed cans (ATH-M50X, Senn Momentum). ", I've looked at the spec / wattage and other reviews, these seem to tick all the boxes.

wiggum

Ok I think I've got my next cans Monoprice Monolith M565C, to quote a reviewer on Amazon "they blow away my other closed cans (ATH-M50X, Senn Momentum). ", I've looked at the spec / wattage and other reviews, these seem to tick all the boxes.
Hmm. Buying products based on a single review is a bad idea.

Why don't you spend more time on rtings.com? They do allow you to compare headphones and they are measured objectively.

OP
T

Tidaliser

I've read more than 1 review and source although overall there isn't many reviews for this specific model, the closed back 565C are using the larger driver, worst case they can go back to Amazon if they're no good, although if that happens I'll give up for a while and just use my M50's

OP
T

Tidaliser

ok I got my Monolith M565C, don't like em :) poor bass, no bass punch, recessed mids / vocals, that's it I give up, M50X's can't be beaten, they're the best, end of :)
Yes there might be more accurate and detailed headphones but for sheer enjoyment I say M50X's.

lewis

In the U.K. Take a look at NJC I have owned lots of headphone amplifiers and this is by far the best.
Cheers, Lewis.

OP
T

Tidaliser

Ok just to end this thread in case anyone is interested I just got a pair of Audio-Technica MSR7 cans, not the 'b' version but the standard MSR7's, these are going cheap I guess because the updated 'b' version is available. Call me an audio noob but hell these sound good to me, definitely an upgrade to my M50X's, mids and highs are so clear and detailed and there's bass, not loads but plenty, I might be tempted later to put some EQ in for the extra bass, just out of curiosity more than necessity.

Anyhow thanks again so much for guiding me in the right direction, with my MSR7 cans on, tears in my eyes and a massive smile on my face says you peeps rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When it comes to amps/dacs I come here to ASR. Highly regarded amps are: JDS Labs Atom great for $100, I would then consider the Monoprice THX 788 or 789 on Massdrop if you're patient and can get in on a drop. Highly regarded DAC's here are SMSL SU-8, Enog 2 Pro, and Topping D30/50 for their price to performance. That's all you really need to know for amps/DACs.

A great pair of closed back bassy headphones that I think would be great for you would be Fostex T20rp Mk3 their like $160 I think and have a metric F*** ton of bass with shure 1840 pads $20, highly regarded throughout the headphone community. I love ASR for their knowledge on amps/DAC's but when it comes to headphones, their advice in my opinion is usually mediocre. But hey, headphones are pretty subjective so I can't blame them. Important thing is, you found something you like.

Last edited:

Mr. Olinad

My two cents:
1st cent -> HD600
2nd cent -> HE400i

I have a M50x that I use at the office and It's clear for me that you like a warm signature.
You will have more benefits with your M50x if you try some pad rolling instead of spend some money changing your amps to make it sound better.
At this point, your headphone is your bottleneck.
Pad options I'd tried:
Black Angled Leather Pad (if you are looking for bass)
3 options (if you want to try different possibilities (leather = +bass, velvet = -bass +wider soundstage + leackage, flanel = close to the original)

I have a Schiit Stack Modi 2 Ubber/Magni 3 and HE400i have a really good bass when playing on this amp, but not too good on my Soundblaster E5.
The best experience I had with this hp was with a ifi micro ican se.

When talking about HD600, well... it's a classic.
I'm in the club of the ones that prefer them rather the HD650.
It's way more opened than the HE400i and is my preference by far.

If you want to spend a little more, try to get an used HE 500.
In the future, when you have money to spend, you may try some Audeze (tried lcd-3 and lcd-X and they are dark as hell)

Another thing to add is that if you like warmer sound I don't really see how you'll like a Beyerdynamics (but at this time you already discovered it).
I've tried the dt990 pro 250ohm and guess what... I traded it with a friend for the M50x :p
I've also tried some of his Audio Technica and all of them sounded too thin to me (playing on a Chord Mojo).

Hope you find peace on this hobby!

Last edited:
I think he wanted a closed back, and I have both of those and aren't that bassy.

Top Bottom