• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Topping D50s output voltage issue

Araw0508

First time posting on this site. I just wanted to let people know that I am having the exact same issue that willy65000 described in his post a number of weeks ago. I purchased a Topping D50s to function as a preamp/DAC for my Parasound Zonemaster 2350 Amp. The output voltage is insufficient. I'm playing FLAC music of CDs ripped on Musicbee. I have an older Rotel preamp that drives the amp without issue. The Parasound says 2 volts should be sufficient but the D50s seems to not be up to the task. I've considered various work arounds but I feel like the Topping should work as is. Since it isn't, I'm going to return it. I'm looking at the Emotiva PT-100 instead with an output of 4 volts. I realize it's internal DAC may not be as good as the Topping but I need something that can drive my amp sufficiently. Thanks for reading and all the helpful info on this site

OP
A

Araw0508

There was a past discussion about this:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/topping-d50s-insufficient-gain.12423/page-3

Are you using "volume normalization" in your source to equalize volume? It has been suggested to turn it off.

Maybe try here:

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Player_Preferences?file=Preferences_Player.png

I don't use musicbee but worth a shot possibly...

I'm not using volume normalization in Musicbee and amplifier gains turned all the way up. It's a bummer because I like the sound quality of the D50s.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can you measure the output voltage of the D50 with a full-scale test tone?

OP
A

Araw0508

I can try. Should I use pink noise or a specific frequency?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Full scale sine wave tone.

Voltmeter should be accurate with 60Hz (maybe others, but being conservative)

Attachments

• 60hz5minFullScale.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 114
OP
A

Araw0508

Full scale sine wave tone.

Voltmeter should be accurate with 60Hz (maybe others, but being conservative)

I tried the test tone you provided and it peaked at 1.7 volts at 0db on the volume. It was at 1.6 most of the time. Thanks for providing it. I wonder if this result is typical of this unit, or if they usually put out a full 2 volts and I got a dud. I'm feeling skeptical that trying another one would fix my issue. Maybe it's output voltage could be tested with more sophisticated equipment. It seems that most dedicated hifi preamps put out significantly more voltage, the manual for my Rotel RC850 states 5 volts. I'm replacing it because it does not have remote control..

Top Bottom