• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another potential Chromecast Audio replacement at $399USD...

Willem

Major Contributor
Interesting, as it can also serve as a DAC and has additional digital input. Volume control seems a bit awkward: I like a rotating knob.

OP
BillG

BillG

Major Contributor
Volume control seems a bit awkward: I like a rotating knob.

I tend to run my streamers at full volume into whatever anyway, and control speaker volume via the amp. So, I'm not too concerned there. It has a smartphone app to control it as well... :cool:

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes but given that is has an analogue output one could use it as a pre-amplifier. That is how I use my combination of Chromecast Audio and RME ADI-2 DAC.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just got a Chromecast Audio yesterday. Works well. Managed to cast YoutubeMusic to it of course, but also all the sound from a Samsung J3 with Android and, on my laptop, the sound from Chrome.

I am still trying to figure out how to cast from Foobar2000 and if I can use EqualizerAPO for the rest of the computer sound also.

I'm glad I got it for 40€, no more.

M00ndancer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm glad I got it for 40€, no more.
I can still get it from one retailer here in Sweden for €34, but I already have two unused, but it's tempting, just in case. Thinking on getting 2 more.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can still get it from one retailer here in Sweden for €34, but I already have two unused, but it's tempting, just in case. Thinking on getting 2 more.

The retailer I got mine from told me the stocks are still huge. There shouldn't be shortage anytime soon.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The retailer I got mine from told me the stocks are still huge. There shouldn't be shortage anytime soon.
Not surprised. Whatever it is not made anymore, this is a Google product and has been massively produced. The average customer doesn't care about CCA, not to mention, know about its existence. The regular CC is much more popular. I do think only audiophiles/audio enthusiasts are looking for it.

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
vizio tvs all have chromecast built-in. you laugh! but they are also excellent TVs and it's incredibly convenient..

marisol

Hi everyone,

first post on this forum - you probably know about Deezer / Chromecast issues and many users seem to move away from Deezer (quite justifiable).
On the other hand I am interested in alternative for chromecast audio, so device without chromecast built in, that has DIG OUT (most important for me), hopefully not expensive.
I'm more than OK with my current audio set-up (speakers, cables,amp, DAC) and honestly with Deezer also (used with other devices / bluetooth connection) BUT with chromecast audio it's just constant pain in the ass.

Thank you in advance.
Marko

Top Bottom