• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another newbie question: Passive Controller

Crow

I have now the streamer that goes to a Topping D10s DAC and the active speakers are on the way so I'm thinking in connecting the DAC to the speakers but the Topping D10s doesn't have a volume knob and I don't want to use those from the speakers at all times.
I could manage the volume by software but it will be awkward so I'm thinking in a passive controller, I've seen a couple like the Nobsound and the Mackie, the Nobsound has RCA connectors which is an advantage for me (easier).
Do you think is a good idea? do you know of another passive controller?

Nobsound: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01MXC...colid=24EX3CA01LDVR&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
Mackie Big Knob: https://www.amazon.com.mx/dp/B01NCU...colid=24EX3CA01LDVR&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1

OP
Crow

Crow

They will work but expensive. What streamer are you using?
Right now a computer with Windows, the active speakers (a couple of Kali Lp6) are on it's way, I will be using a Raspberry PI4 followed by a Topping D10s

kchap

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The volume can be controlled via the streaming app GUI. For example if you use Moode or Volumio you will be able to control the the output level of the D10S. There are 2 modes supported; digital and hardware which is not guaranteed to work with every DAC. If you want to use DSD or MQA then the only option is hardware. You should be able to use the hardware option with the D10S.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The prices of those you have linked are taking the p.

Have a look at:

You shouldn't need to pay significantly more for volume control.

You could also look at this item reviewed by Amirm, that will also switch up to 4 analogue inputs:

There are a number of similar items available.

OP
Crow

Crow

Thank you for your answer.
I can't find the Talema anywhere and I'm seeing other options like this

I got the music from Spotify and a NAS and hoped to be able to connect my turntable which is in another room hooked to an amplifier, it was a gift and I don't use it much, a son who comes a couple of times a year has been cleaning my old vinyls.
Until now I've only looked for passive controllers, I guess I'll see some powered preamps or just wait and control the volume via software.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How long are the cables to the speakers? For longer cables, I'd definitely want to see some sort of low-impedance line amplifier used, even if it's a unity-gain device.

OP
Crow

Crow

Hi @ jeffSt444
2 to 3 feet, no more, maybe a preamp is needed?
The Raspberry PI4, Topping D10s and Kali Lp6 active speakers will be in the same shelve. If I use the turntable it will be in another shelve but that's a big IF, not decided yet.

OP
Crow

Crow

Probably the Schiit Sys is what I'm looking for but they're not selling it through Amazon right now, I will see if I can get it unless another item shows in this time.

Top Bottom