• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another new member from the Netherlands

Eirikur

Hi all, just a quick post to introduce myself.

First some background. I'm a computing scientist (MSc) working as software architect. While I do know which side of the iron is hot, my electronics experiments are restricted mostly to repairs like fixing the HDMI board of my Onkyo AVR and recapping the crossovers of my speakers. My daily job requires me to have a scientific stance: show me the data and show me repeatability. Analysis is typically not finished until all anomalies are explained.

My interest in music was kindled by my mother who played the piano and "forced" me to play as well - no regrets!
We always had access to lo-fi cassette-tape machines from an early age, and in high-school I finally bought a record player and a sort-of decent amplifier with speakers - switching to CD as early as 1985 or so. These days it's mostly streamed lossless audio.
Recently I also started playing guitar as cheap alternative to the mid-life crisis convertible.

The music I enjoy is varied, there is prog-rock like King Crimson and VdGG, heavy rock like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, classical like Bach, Chopin and Scriabin, guitar centered like Al Di Meola and Paco de Lucia and also jazz by for instance Miles Davis and John Coltrane.

Our current home has a lot of reflective surfaces in the living, so I've been frugal with regard to gear so far.
In the living room I have my pretty decent Canton Karat 60 speakers connected to a (not so great) Onkyo TX-SR607 amplifier, this one gets all input via HDMI from a small NUC connected to my NAS. My attic has much better acoustics, there I use an old but solid analog Onkyo A809 amplifier with a Pioneer PD-S505 CD player and Canton Ergo 302 loudspeakers.

One interesting fact of my Pioneer PD-S505 CD player is the "stable platter" mechanism: like a record player you put the CD on a rubber mat with the playing side up - this also means the lens of the laser is pointing down an does not gather dust. Another feature(?) is the "legato link" DAC that screws up the frequency response...

Other gear of interest: HPM-100 speakers (sold these beasts), KEF Q7 speakers (sold) and a Philips DCC-951 deck that served me as a DAC for many years. I also kept a Kef Q9c center speaker as a "perfect phase" reference.

Cheers, Erik

Last edited:

Hipper

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Goeddenmiddag, heb jij spuitpoep?!

Sorry about that. My mother was Dutch but my Dutch is very limited!

Anyway welcome to this board. I haven't been here long but there's lots of interesting threads that go into more detail then I've seen on other sites, which I like.

I think I had a similar Pioneer CD Player with the stable platter and Legato Link DAC. I bought it around 1993 I think. It was supposed to be a good machine but I didn't know anything about anything then. It was confusing putting the CD in the 'wrong' way. I used it with a NAD amp and Jamo speakers. It was my first set of separates having earlier had a Pioneer rack system.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Grapjurk .. :)

Top Bottom