• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another low-power DIY amp article

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

Biblob

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Cool, inspiring to read. I miss the measurements though.
Do you now of other DIY class-D amps, that measure well? Prefebarely the same price range.

invaderzim

They seem to be out of the amplifier boards. The "Buy Now" button doesn't work and the other buy now buttons for other boards take you to ebay where they don't currently have this one either. I wonder when they will get more of them in stock.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The expensive part of the project is IEEE membership.

Yeah. Just renewed for the 39th year.

Cool, inspiring to read. I miss the measurements though.
Do you now of other DIY class-D amps, that measure well? Prefebarely the same price range.

No but not something I track. A number of folk have bought modules from various vendors and built hem into a chassis with their own power supply.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
With all due respect, 65uV A weighted noise is very ordinary wouldn't you say?

With that noise level, the S/N specs look suspicious.

OP
DonH56

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have no dog in this hunt, no respect required. I don't usually get any anyway. :) This popped up in one of my emails so I passed it on; frankly, I barely had time to skim the article.

20 W into 4 ohms is about 9 Vrms and thus 65 uV (assuming rms) is about 102 dB. Seems rather average for a power amp, yah, particularly A-weighted.

I was trying to remember the last amp kit I built (I shifted to designing my own for a while). I think it was my Hafler, and before that an Ampzilla. With Dynaco, Eico, and Heathkit sprinkled in there, somewhere, in the the primordial past.

Top Bottom