• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another lost buyer, help please!

Distordera

Hi all!

Yet another future buyer that need your help in deciding. Fun times! :)

Short background is that I have at least one day of travel time to get to the nearest hifi shop that have the speakers I am interested in in stock so I really have to know what I am looking for before planning where I should go to listen.

I don't listen very often but when I do I want to have fun. Fun for me has always been large woofers (CW DC1515 was my childhood dream).
Since I have a wife and not very much place to house such a large speaker I have to look elsewhere.

I am also torn between multichannel and 2 channel. Multichannel is fun but expensive. Don't know if I have the space either.

So the short list of interesting speakers are:
- JBL HDI 3800 (ports are in the back and maybe too big box to be placed close to a back wall??)
- Revel F206 (or 208?)
- Genelec 8040 and sub (ugly but small enough to fit besides the tv)

If I choose 2 channel I am looking for the minidsp SHD with Dirac.
For multichannel I am not shure what to choose. Dirac is a favourite but maybe too expensive.

It is a uneven chunk of speakers I know but as I said. I am lost.
I have Genelec 8320 w matching GLM sub for the office and the sound is good but it´s no DC1515. :)

So, the speakers needs to be put somewhat close to the back wall and I am allergic to harsh treble. A Dirac unit of some sort would help me with the bass I believe.

I also attach a sketch (not in scale) of the intended room.

So, I am really looking forward for any help. Thanks!

Attachments

• room.JPG
    room.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 152

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very hard to say. You will be sitting farther than the Genelec monitor choosing guide will tell you is optimal. You may choose to place the monitors inward away from the wall. As for sub it depends on how loud you intend to play.

My space is larger and a pair of 7360s is inadequate. They clip all day. Your space volume is 1/3rd of mine though. With some lowest octave boosting tricks they sound fine in my listening position but are far from “filling” the room. By that I mean I can walk to the kitchen side and the bass sounds like nothing.

So it really depends on your intended levels and on how much you want to feel your bass. Seems like you really want to feel your bass.

Under specifying your system is one of those things you may not take very well to. Alternatively you might be okay limiting your output and learn to live with it. It’s hard to say how much is enough. These studio monitors are meant for single person listening and very good at it but to fill a room is another story.

My listening triangle is actually smaller than yours in that it’s wider but I sit closer. My sofa is far from the back wall and i’m 4-5 feet from my 77” C1. My 8341s go into protection a lot. Even audibly at times. I have to turn down the volume and let them cool off to raise the volume to satisfying levels again.

Just a warning that one must be careful about having enough output for their needs.

OP
D

Distordera

Very hard to say. You will be sitting farther than the Genelec monitor choosing guide will tell you is optimal. You may choose to place the monitors inward away from the wall. As for sub it depends on how loud you intend to play.

My space is larger and a pair of 7360s is inadequate. They clip all day. Your space volume is 1/3rd of mine though. With some lowest octave boosting tricks they sound fine in my listening position but are far from “filling” the room. By that I mean I can walk to the kitchen side and the bass sounds like nothing.

So it really depends on your intended levels and on how much you want to feel your bass. Seems like you really want to feel your bass.

Under specifying your system is one of those things you may not take very well to. Alternatively you might be okay limiting your output and learn to live with it. It’s hard to say how much is enough. These studio monitors are meant for single person listening and very good at it but to fill a room is another story.

My listening triangle is actually smaller than yours in that it’s wider but I sit closer. My sofa is far from the back wall and i’m 4-5 feet from my 77” C1. My 8341s go into protection a lot. Even audibly at times. I have to turn down the volume and let them cool off to raise the volume to satisfying levels again.

Just a warning that one must be careful about having enough output for their needs.
Thats a lot of really good information and thoughts. Thanks a lot!
It seems easy enough to just run in and buy something but I have to think this through.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thats a lot of really good information and thoughts. Thanks a lot!
It seems easy enough to just run in and buy something but I have to think this through.
Yes it’s important to be circumspect about it. I used to be in the camp of just go and buy 834x. At their price they ruin pretty much anything else for value. No DAC no amps everything all said and done at their respective price points.

It really depends on how close you sit. If you sit closely and live in an apartment you may never find the limits. You might but apartment security would be the one to teach you limits. Hehe.

If you have a house then you might find yourself seeing orange lights. It’s not a good feeling. You can make them audibly cut some frequencies.

You might even be better off getting 835x and forgo those bottom 2 octaves. You won’t even miss them until you have heard them. In fact it was awkward in the beginning when I got the first sub. Then you spoil yourself and end up needing 3 subs like I have. You get used to it quickly and want more.

steve59

Major Contributor
revel speakers are not really known for big bass and accurate speakers will often sound light in that dept. paradigm founder 120 has 3 powered woofers that I believe have arc built in... Dali oberon 9 for about $2k a pair would be very top of my list for get off my a$$ and dance speakers with decent resolution will fit most rooms.

Top Bottom