• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another independent measurements of SMSL SP200

WolfX-700

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Regarding SMSL's SP200, there have been many arguments in the Hifi discussion in China.

The debate is divided into two parts:

1. Are the excellent measurement results on ASR and other websites because they (the manufacturer) provide Golden Samples? And even "the quality of the units sent to a certain country is particularly good"

2. Does a good measurement result equal a better Sound?

The discussion in the second part is often stuck in various theologies and agnostics, so I decided not to discuss these things.

The first part is easy to verify.

I asked a friend who had nothing to do with HiFi to order one directly from Taobao's SMSL flagship store. Then send it to him-it is like the purchase behavior of ordinary consumers. Then the friend gave me the unit in person.

So, I got this unit this afternoon.

Photo.jpg

Here are some simple quick measurements:

XLR in XLR Out

10V

A1-10V.jpg

5.6V 4Vin
A1-5.6V.jpg

MultiTone
MultiTone.jpg

Linearity.jpg

OI.jpg

From these measurements, we can see that the unit consistency of the SP200 is very good. There is no "golden sample" problem.

Some of device get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss. But every once in a while you find something which‘s iridescent, and when you find it, nothing will ever compare.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can I suggest to use another color behind the red letters.. this looks like a wolf took a pee in the snow.. ;)

Can you check the volume pot performance, @WolfX-700 ? This was the main concern about the SMSL SP200 on other forums.

Indeed this is the issue that prompted the 'do we get selected equipment' stuff.
Not about dist. measurements.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Third time makes the charm :p
0.000150%THD perfectly aligns with https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...200-do-we-get-golden-samples-for-review.9673/ as well as the dominant second harmonic which is a change from @amirm first measurement. Nothing bad of course.

Can you check the volume pot performance, @WolfX-700 ? This was the main concern about the SMSL SP200 on other forums.

I haven't found how to measure the relationship between volume and time like Amir.
However, under simple measurement, the volume balance before 12 o'clock is really not very good --- SMSL should use at least ALPS27 potentiometer

Veri

Master Contributor
I haven't found how to measure the relationship between volume and time like Amir.
However, under simple measurement, the volume balance before 12 o'clock is really not very good --- SMSL should use at least ALPS27 potentiometer
Yep, thanks. I suppose from middle pot range onward it's not an issue. Also not that surprising considering the cheaper cost compared to other THX amp. Still, too bad.

Giulio

It is a pity they have slipped on the banana skin of the potentiometer.

@WolfX-700, do you think it would be difficult to replace the pot?

Gnasherrr

It is a pity they have slipped on the banana skin of the potentiometer.

@WolfX-700, do you think it would be difficult to replace the pot?

well you are gonna have to deal with dimension differences and potentially drilling. other than that no it's not something that's super diffcult to replace. might as well go with the upcoming monoprice 887 instead and save yourself some headache

Whodiini

I can confirm that the pot on the Sp200 is not that great, whereas the monoprice one is nice. When I ordered my unit, I was told that no SP200 were being shipped due to a shortage at the factory of a part. Hmm, was it the pot and did they sub an inferior one? If you can do what I did - turn the pot all the way up and use the volume control on the DAC - that works OK. I would agree, just buy the monoprice instead of replacing the pot if you cannot live with controlling the volume on the DAC. The parts quality on the monoprice is excellent.

Celty

well you are gonna have to deal with dimension differences and potentially drilling. other than that no it's not something that's super diffcult to replace. might as well go with the upcoming monoprice 887 instead and save yourself some headache
"Upcoming"?

Gnasherrr

Celty

its technically released but not yet shipping afaik?
Nope I have had mine and been enjoying it. Right now the website says ships tomorrow if ordered now. Love mine BTW. It shipped from California, so not a waiting from China situation.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Could you perform some measurements with loads like 16ohm 32ohm with 100mW 500mW?

Gnasherrr

Nope I have had mine and been enjoying it. Right now the website says ships tomorrow if ordered now. Love mine BTW. It shipped from California, so not a waiting from China situation.
gotcha. :D i guess its a thing now

Celty

gotcha. :D i guess its a thing now
Indeed, was waiting for the expected in stock date with baited breath, lol. When it appeared that day, I hit that order button quick as can be.

OP
WolfX-700

WolfX-700

Forum Donor
Could you perform some measurements with loads like 16ohm 32ohm with 100mW 500mW?

I took a measurement of 1W @ 32R last night and the results are as follows:

QQ图片20191129112229.png

You can also talk about the measurement conditions you want

Top Bottom