• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another headphone recommendations thread

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Hello,

I'm currently using a Beyerdynamic DT250 (80 ohms) that I really like, but I wondered if a strict upgrade existed for it. The main thing I'm looking for is a closed, solid headphone with velour (or something similar) pads and a sound as neutral as possible; at least, without too much bass emphasis.
The only one I found are the Focal Listen Pro (not a fan of the brand, looks fragile and can't find measurements), the Shure SHR1540 (looks good, a bit pricy) and the Ultrasone Pro-900i (the Pro-900 has quite the bad measurements on innerfidelity, can't find the 900i).

Anyone else that can't stand leather here? Thanks for reading.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you like it my advice would be to keep it. That said, there is no shortage of good headphones and you don't have to spend $$$$$$$$$$s. The Audio Technica ATH MSR7 is an excellent closed back model which can be found for not a lot now, however it has pleather pads. It's a little bright but exceptionally detailed and accurate (in my humble opinion, if you like a slightly bright sound it punches well above its weight).

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Well, I do like it, but I don't "prefer" it since the only other headphone I tested was the ATH M-50X. About the MSR7, it indeed looks nice and has nice measurements, too bad it has synthetic leather pads. If only more manufacturers sold aftermarket velour/textile ones.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I don't really know where the Pro differs from the non pro version but I expect this to be in pad color and cable most likely.

Below measurements of the Listen
fr-listen.png

As a comparison below the Elear
fr-elear.png

While I am at it... DT250/250 (not the 80 Ohm and the sound leakage not fixed otherwise there would be better matching.
Note that the plot below only goes to 22kHz
beyerdynamic-dt250-250-lr.png

Here is my modified Custom one Pro with velour DT770 pads..
cop-modif-2.png

Last edited:
OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
It looks like I'm better off keeping the DT250s (should implement the fix, one day) compared to the Focals, then. Only the Shure pair remains on my list; anyone having experience with this model or Shure as a brand? Their earlier models looked cheaply built with hinge breakdown being quite common, but this one looks solid (and extremely comfy!). Here's a link for the curious: https://www.thomann.de/intl/shure_srh1540.htm

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I only have a set of DT1540 pads ... not the headphone alas.
It is more 'hifi' in the treble and very confortable.

Have found these measurements of the 1540
0a143f6ff2c1b6bdabf1b8ca6990682e.PNG

of course to trust it there should be a known reference measurement to confirm
Below their measurement of the HD599
3250a835536793d75e323229ef4515eb.png

And below my measurement
fr-hd599.png

OP
q3cpma

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Those low and high mids bumps aren't in the measurements I found on innerfidelity. I'm pretty sure these are pretty good, anyway. I also like the fact that it comes with a replacement cable and earpad set out of the box.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Innerfidelity plots are difficult to interpret as Tyll used incorrect compensation from day one.

Here is a comparison between HD650 and SRH1540 which tells me the SRH1540 is a lot bassier and warmer sounding than neutral.
1540.png

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep, SRH1540 + EQ is probably what you may be looking for. Good comfort, closed and looks easy to EQ

Top Bottom