• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

Andysu

Major Contributor
6mvsni.jpg

Astoneroad

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Human nature does not exist by itself as it is dependent on the conditions of the environment, hence it, by definition, is not nature but nurture. That is made clear with human behaviour and exemplified in attitudes towards sexuality, education, hierarchy, cultural difference, etc. that have indeed changed drastically through the centuries and across geography. Lowenthal showed this in The Past is a Foreighn Country.

Past actions have a very limited capacity to predict the future as we can only speculate causes and effects after the event has happened, hence the problem of narrativization where literary devices are employed to create a coherent account, a process that Hayden White has explained quite well. There is a further issue as we are not fully aware of all the potential elements; because we have no data or because it has been disregarded. That is the reason why historians keep working on apparently "solved issues" such as the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the emergence of the Germanic Kingdoms in Western Europe.

Past conditions are even worse predictors as the environmental conditions can change drastically. Sicily is one of the best examples as we can compare it today to the times of Frederick II or Arquimedes.

The existence of con men is hardly a predictor for larger-scale elements and development, because for every large system, there will be all sorts of attitudes towards it. Affirming so is as revealing and knowledge-generating as saying the water makes you wet.
Danny's cables make you wet... to each his own.

DMill

One reviewer I do like, in addition to Amir of course :), and partly because he's quite funny, but also because, in conjunction to his measurements and rankings, I think you can actually make decisions based on his opinions:

I actually have several headphones and IEMs that Crinacle rates highly, or has had a hand in tuning, and I think we must have similar tastes, such that I feel that if he likes a headphone, or IEM, chances are I will.
Thank you for bringing him to my attention. I've not heard of him, but that was a very thoughtful video.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
One reviewer I do like, in addition to Amir of course :), and partly because he's quite funny, but also because, in conjunction to his measurements and rankings, I think you can actually make decisions based on his opinions:

Ive been watching Crinacle since the start of the year and bought the 7hz timeless based on his review and it’s really good, really really good.

Plcamp

I will just add that seeing “Danny down in Texas” in the title, I was expecting a new country song, so this thread disappoints overall.

DMill

I will just add that seeing “Danny down in Texas” in the title, I was expecting a new country song, so this thread disappoints overall.
The recurring theme of love and loss in country music certainly applies here.

tomtoo

Major Contributor
The recurring theme of love and loss in country music certainly applies here.
How about this? Not exactly texas. But its about pipes, sure a new br speaker. And all the love that comes from hmmm ASR maybe?

Timstunes

Forum Donor
I listened to the Darko podcast. Gosh, what wrong characterization of what we do by Karman. I sent them a message saying I am happy to get on their show to properly explain the science and engineering of what we do. Hopefully they respond and accept. Failing that I can do my own video to counter.
I’ll get the popcorn!

Katji

Major Contributor
Picked right up on where I was going with that one. :rolleyes:

BTW, The Miller's Tale is among the best of a classic medieval genre known as a Fabliau, which is a humorous verse tale involving a cuckholding with a misplaced kiss. Hence "Why has thou a beard, Dannie?"
It's been a very long while - like 50 years or so, but that's the part that came to mind, of course. An interesting digression - I found a page/site that showed the original text alongside the King James style text, and another with modern cartoon strips.

Plcamp

I listened to the Darko podcast. Gosh, what wrong characterization of what we do by Karman. I sent them a message saying I am happy to get on their show to properly explain the science and engineering of what we do. Hopefully they respond and accept. Failing that I can do my own video to counter.
You are a fundamental threat to their whole ecosystem, and one they can’t overcome.

Therefore this type of thing (strawman misrepresentation) will be continuous in my estimation.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I think it shows ASR is slowly having an effect. Many now see it as boosting credibility that they have done blind testing. Unfortunately it usually means some poor methods are being paraded around which aren't blind or even useful.
The blind leading the blind ..

Any excuse to visit Texas, sun , meat , beer and the ladies are real friendly like . So what if you have to meet Danny, if that makes it a commercial trip and you can claim expenses... I'm first in line .

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the litmus test for these YouTube reviewers is: can you use their reviews to make a purchasing decision?

That will depend on who the "you" is.

For ASR members in terms of what they tend to demand in terms of information: very unlikely.

For other audiophiles, some do use reviews (youtube/print/online...and reports from other audiophiles), to help make purchase decisions.
Many seem to make purchases they are very happy with that way.

We all want to justify our own approach :)

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me, it sounded more like an attempt to break away from the false dichotomy of "objective vs. audiophile" and to reconcile communities rather than any sort of push back. As I perceived it, John and guests did speak up against scientism and not against scientific method. I think this is a very important message. I would love to see John and Amir discussing this subject at some point.

Admittedly I haven't finished listening to the podcast (don't know if I will), but what I heard seemed to be running on a similar track to previous Darko writings and podcasts on this issue.

And my hackles did get raised when Darko mentioned "scientism" because that term is the calling card of countless crank, pseudo-science and religious apologists. If you dare bring up the relevance of science to their claims, they whip out the "that's just scientism" card. I've dealt with it a million times. And is generally a pejorative term invented for that purpose. It's held up as a stop sign "Science Doesn't Apply Here!" The idea being that the "scientistic" person is trying to apply science beyond it's ken, where it can't really be used. The first thing is that most people who speak of "scientism" don't seem to realize really just how far science can be, and is applied. One of the main drivers of science is ingenuity - in how questions that previously seemed perhaps unanswerable have become answered, or capable of investigation.

So, yes, for various reasons, including the practical, science can't be applied everywhere. But usually people raising "scientism" are making a bad case that it can't, or hasn't yet, been applied to their pet belief system.

As for accusations of scientism at ASR: I generally don't find that happening here. I don't see a lot of science being misapplied - to places it doesn't belong or can't investigate.

I do sometimes see something of a slightly different nature: That by virtue of appealing to science, one is making a sort of objectively sound argument.
"The facts are on my side, I'm appealing to the most objective form of knowledge we have, so my argument is therefore stronger than the other person's who may not be directly appealing to science." The mistake there is to imagine that valuing science entails you are making good arguments any time you adduce science. You can study all the science in the world, and still make mistakes of reasoning when putting together claims and arguments. (That's part of why the Appeal To Authority is known as a fallacy; we evaluate the truth or soundness of a claim based on the strength of the evidence/argument, not based on who is making the argument, authority or otherwise).

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe most of these reviewers are genuine and are (sometimes willfully) ignorant or believe their own spew, otherwise most of them would have some nice KEF, Genelec, Neumann, D&D or similar in their "reference" systems. Or at the very least hidden away in the corner when reviewing and comparing to other speakers.

Affiliate links, youtube ads, patreon subscriptions, paid consultations/advice, ample opportunity to flip/profit off gear trade... plus of course general reviewer perks and free stuff that will probably end up sold. Perhaps he is not "raking it in" or selling anything directly at this stage, but his name as a reviewer or "influencer", his exposure and perceived credibility on social media etc. are worth their weight in potentially very lucrative future endeavours. Collaborating with other audiophiles with an established following is in his best interest regardless of what he thinks or believes to be true.
Agree, but if he is a shill and just in it for himself, that will become more evident over time. He claims to have some hooks into the NRC. Not sure why the NRC would waste any bandwidth on a speaker that Amir has already measured. I do not hear anyone claiming Amir's measures are wrong. If he hears differences in cables, may just be another "passionate" audiophile. Have more of an issue when there is selling directly based on purely subjective claims.

ta240

Major Contributor
For other audiophiles, some do use reviews (youtube/print/online...and reports from other audiophiles), to help make purchase decisions.
Many seem to make purchases they are very happy with that way.

I often wonder just how happy they are with the purchase because when the next video comes out they will want/buy that product.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
The blind leading the blind ..

Any excuse to visit Texas, sun , meat , beer and the ladies are real friendly like . So what if you have to meet Danny, if that makes it a commercial trip and you can claim expenses... I'm first in line .
I was there last February for a research conference. Damn it was cold!

I should have bought a couple McIntosh anythings to resell over here. :D

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Admittedly I haven't finished listening to the podcast (don't know if I will), but what I heard seemed to be running on a similar track to previous Darko writings and podcasts on this issue.

And my hackles did get raised when Darko mentioned "scientism" because that term is the calling card of countless crank, pseudo-science and religious apologists. If you dare bring up the relevance of science to their claims, they whip out the "that's just scientism" card. I've dealt with it a million times. And is generally a pejorative term invented for that purpose. It's held up as a stop sign "Science Doesn't Apply Here!" The idea being that the "scientistic" person is trying to apply science beyond it's ken, where it can't really be used. The first thing is that most people who speak of "scientism" don't seem to realize really just how far science can be, and is applied. One of the main drivers of science is ingenuity - in how questions that previously seemed perhaps unanswerable have become answered, or capable of investigation.

So, yes, for various reasons, including the practical, science can't be applied everywhere. But usually people raising "scientism" are making a bad case that it can't, or hasn't yet, been applied to their pet belief system.

As for accusations of scientism at ASR: I generally don't find that happening here. I don't see a lot of science being misapplied - to places it doesn't belong or can't investigate.

I do sometimes see something of a slightly different nature: That by virtue of appealing to science, one is making a sort of objectively sound argument.
"The facts are on my side, I'm appealing to the most objective form of knowledge we have, so my argument is therefore stronger than the other person's who may not be directly appealing to science." The mistake there is to imagine that valuing science entails you are making good arguments any time you adduce science. You can study all the science in the world, and still make mistakes of reasoning when putting together claims and arguments. (That's part of why the Appeal To Authority is known as a fallacy; we evaluate the truth or soundness of a claim based on the strength of the evidence/argument, not based on who is making the argument, authority or otherwise).
One of the few legitimate uses of "scientism" has to do with aberrations such as phrenology, "scientific racism", "creationism" and stuff like that.

A basic understanding of the field from which arguments are taken easily points at pseudo-science.

Audio does not apply on the above cases, so yes, you're absolutely right.

Top Bottom