• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another guy on Youtube going to visit Danny down in texas....

ta240

Major Contributor
I think maybe all the attention that DannHe is a waste of time, if you want to have good information.
He is a waste of time, if you want to have good information.
1 video from erin replaces 1000 of him in usefull information.
Sure, but when will Erin master the deep-in-thought looks? He doesn't ever get close to looking like he is concentrating so hard that it is painful; that is when you know a reviewer is really into it :facepalm:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Millions of people believing something doesn't make it a truth.
1657893742786.png

tomtoo

Major Contributor
I think maybe all the attention that DannHe is a waste of time, if you want to have good information.

Sure, but when will Erin master the deep-in-thought looks? He doesn't ever get close to looking like he is concentrating so hard that it is painful; that is when you know a reviewer is really into it :facepalm:

When i look, so hard concentrated that it is painfull?! I have a morning problem, i not like to discuss in detail here. ;)

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bet Danny will gain popularity with all this attention and sell even more of his cables and upgrade kits.
Didn’t Amir just do a review that confirmed GR Research Klipsch upgrade was effective? Also the Encore speaker was favorably reviewed here as well. I don’t think the intent of ASR is to create a divide in the audio community, but it is hard to not call Danny out when he is putting out false information about cables, power cords, tube connectors and giant killers. It damages the integrity of the industry as a whole. There is some guy out there who is making an honest living making a quality cable without ridiculous assertions that it dramatically improves the music and at insane prices. What would Danny say to him I wonder?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Didn’t Amir just do a review that confirmed GR Research Klipsch upgrade was effective? Also the Encore speaker was favorably reviewed here as well. I don’t think the intent of ASR is to create a divide in the audio community, but it is hard to not call Danny out when he is putting out false information about cables, power cords, tube connectors and giant killers. It damages the integrity of the industry as a whole. There is some guy out there who is making an honest living making a quality cable without ridiculous assertions that it dramatically improves the music and at insane prices. What would Danny say to him I wonder?

That he is a idiot, and could make more money easy peasy?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
+1

2 years ago I thought I needed a new NAD receiver. That was until I read how poor they measured and how Amir exposed them. I am now the very happy owner of an amp that measures and sounds very well with built-in room eq. On the go, I also learned a lot. All praise to Amir.
My user scenario is not the most favorable. In the last two years, I have found myself with a mountain of speakers of the same series as they were all bought around the same time. To be precise, I have a total of 11 speakers and 2 subwoofers all from KEF: 2 IQ7, 2 IQ3, 4IQ1, 2 IQ8ds and 1 IQ6c; add two PSW 2500 subwoofers. On top of that, two amplifieres and an AVR dead in the span of months.

And now the case for making something out of that pile. I ended up buying a super cheap Marant SR6010 to at least move a 7.2 setup and keep four speakers in store. What to do next? Well, it seems I´ll be able to make a nice 7.2.4 system but going for something like that will take time.

I have considered NAD because they run on Dirac, but the current models are not really worth it. The other option would be a larger Denon or Marantz, but I don´t like Audyssey that much. Lyngdorf is too expensive so my other option would be Anthem due to ARC, but those are not cheap either.

So I ended up with a provisional setup and pulled the trigger on an LS50 Wireless II to replace a broken amp. I had never listened to it though I expected something similar to my IQ3´s or 7´s. I followed the comments and specs I red in this forum. I cannot be happier with that pair of speakers. Ideally I´d love to go for a KEF active 7.2.4, but that is not possible at the current moment, so I will just wait to get good electronics first and once that is cleared, I´ll may think about upgrading the speakers little by little. Even with that in mind, I expect something akin to a Kef R series will be better but not lightyears better than the IQ´s. The subwoofers, however, are a different matter.

That is the current plan, but my initial gut was going for a 7.2.4 Sonus Faber system running on McIntosh. Today, I know I can get that performance or better with part of what I currently have.

ta240

Major Contributor
I don't get the obsession about that guy Danny? Can’t you all just ignore him and appreciate what this site got going in a more positive way?

The constant “us vs you” will probably just divide “the camps” even further, not the other way around. You will hardly get anyone open to your ideas of thinking by calling them a moron (just an example). :)

It is a catch-22 situation. Talking about him and making it a 'us vs him' situation does make him more popular within 'that' side. At the same time, as someone that spent more money than I'd ever admit chasing the sound that gets described by these people; I see the benefit to trying to warn the uninformed. Otherwise the only information they see is the flowery BS and all the reinforcement from the comments on the videos and forums. Why would I think that wires or capacitors don't affect sound quality when there were pages and pages of comments about how amazing they sounded? Especially when the only argument against all the flowery prose is 'they don't'.
Ask anyone that has tried to get someone away from a cult, it is hard to compete with 'leaders' that come across as just so caring and thoughtful; especially when arguing with just facts and frustration. He just spent 20 minutes really opening up about audio and how amazing this new expensive component is, he must care. People that are trying to sell you things don't do that......
It is mind boggling that the thumbnail pictures Jay uses for his videos are poses that, to me, look ridiculously over dramatic. If you walked into a business and the salesman had one of those facial expressions you'd probably leave. If you were talking to a friend about audio and they gave you the Andrew Robinson condescending look, you'd probably find a new friend. But, I guess a lot of people have been trained by social media that poses like that are meaningful and they connect with them.

ta240

Major Contributor
When i look, so hard concentrated that it is painfull?! I have a morning problem, i not like to discuss in detail here. ;)

That's how I'll perfect the look for my new channel. Now I just need to improve the acoustics in a specific room....

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I'm retired and have been binging on world history for 15 years, reading many historians covering a lot of the same periods to get an Idea of different viewpoints. (Durant, Beard, Greenblatt, Gibbon... etc.) This pattern of masses of people following individuals that just plain "made stuff up" with a zealous fervor that resulted from civil war (Savonarola 15th cent. Florence) to genocide (Hitler) is an unbroken recurring theme in human history. It seems it's in our genes that the masses follow and the individuals asking "why" and finding answers are targets of contempt (Galileo). It's not difficult to discern who I see as the merchants of bullshit and those of facts derived from scientific method. I'm glad I'm old enough that I'm not going to be around for the next "Bonfire of the Vanities" where all our tools of measurement are lit ablaze while Danny and his minions dance around it... like primates around a monolith.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
If you have read all that, you should be very aware of how those perspectives fall under the patter of a narrative of cycles. They are the non-unhinged version of Oswald Spengler which in turn is a re-reading of St. Agustine, effectively linking all this to the mythological thought of the Uppanishad via Plato. This is not surprising considering most of the authors you have mentioned have a strong background in theology.

The analysis of the past is not a good predictor of the future. That is valid for Marx, for Nietzche or Gibbon and it all was magistrally debunked by Popper in Poverty of Historicism.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In all fairness, I have only RECENTLY watched a few of his videos. His reviews of Stand mount speakers, SEEMED fairly on.....but.......I learned quickly....!
Thing about these guys is they never met a component they didn't like. Take Guttenberg, for example. Loved Kef R3s, LS 50 Metas, and Reference One Metas, but also has a pair of Zu's as his reference speakers. Whaaatttt???!!!!!!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Thing about these guys is they never met a component they didn't like. Take Guttenberg, for example. Loved Kef R3s, LS 50 Metas, and Reference One Metas, but also has a pair of Zu's as his reference speakers. Whaaatttt???!!!!!!

Rp600m speaker of the year not to forgett

see_no_evil

Discussion is possible when both parts have similar levels of knowledge.
If this was true we as a species wouldn't able to make any progress, learn from each other and share the information. Besides, you seem to imply their discussion has to be a debate, but 1) they clearly agree measurements don't tell you an entire story about audio products 2) not every discussion has to be a debate to be interesting - take Darko's interview of Bruno Putzeys for instance: heartening, inspirational and enlightening, at least to me personally. What Darko did with that episode did inspire me to pursue math much more than local ever-present holier-than-thou attitude ever will.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
One reviewer I do like, in addition to Amir of course :), and partly because he's quite funny, but also because, in conjunction to his measurements and rankings, I think you can actually make decisions based on his opinions:

I have several headphones and IEMs that Crinacle rates highly, or has had a hand in tuning, and I think we must have similar tastes, such that I feel that if he likes a headphone, or IEM, chances are, I will.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
Darthvader (Danny): Luke (YT Kid) I am your father ….

Oh boy, is he lost forever? Will he see the light and return to the good side? Was he always evil?

… how many sequels will it take to find out? Stay tuned.
turning to the darkphile side . soon the palpatine will have control of both of them

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Regarding analysis of the historical past as a predictor, I disagree. I think that human behavior has changed very little, and therefore past actions are a very good predictor of future behavior.... if you prefer a philosophical reference rather historical one, then we can pull Santayana from the bag of tricks... whatever. This sounds like a Seymour and Buddy Glass dispute. Danny Richie is a predicable and recurring theme... when he's gone... others will take his place and behave in a similar deceptive and self serving manner as snake oil salesmen have historically done.
Human nature does not exist by itself as it is dependent on the conditions of the environment, hence it, by definition, is not nature but nurture. That is made clear with human behaviour and exemplified in attitudes towards sexuality, education, hierarchy, cultural difference, etc. that have indeed changed drastically through the centuries and across geography. Lowenthal showed this in The Past is a Foreighn Country.

Past actions have a very limited capacity to predict the future as we can only speculate causes and effects after the event has happened, hence the problem of narrativization where literary devices are employed to create a coherent account, a process that Hayden White has explained quite well. There is a further issue as we are not fully aware of all the potential elements; because we have no data or because it has been disregarded. That is the reason why historians keep working on apparently "solved issues" such as the fall of the Western Roman Empire and the emergence of the Germanic Kingdoms in Western Europe.

Past conditions are even worse predictors as the environmental conditions can change drastically. Sicily is one of the best examples as we can compare it today to the times of Frederick II or Arquimedes.

The existence of con men is hardly a predictor for larger-scale elements and development, because for every large system, there will be all sorts of attitudes towards it. Affirming so is as revealing and knowledge-generating as saying the water makes you wet.

Top Bottom