• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another budget Amp recommendation for Dali Spektor 1

Hello everyone,

Planning to buy my first sets of speakers and need some help with it. Following are the details which might be helpful for you -

• My room - 2.6 m X 3.5 m. It's used as Living + Study + Bedroom
    Windows - 1.7 m X 1.8 m high Curtains on two adjacent walls (curtains supposed to have soundproof quality to block outside noise, but can't say about it's effectiveness).
    Floor - Rug 2.4 X 2.4 m, spend most of the time sitting here. (Speaker level?) Otherwise on desk - chair.

• Genre - Indie rock, Post rock, Shoegaze, Dream pop etc.

• Source - Windows Laptop and Android mobile. Plan to use Pi 4B.

• Dac - Discrete Dac absent. Might consider in future for use with headphones.

• Headphones - Absent. Plan to buy in near future - Meze 99 Neo/ Classic or DT 990 pro 250 ohm or Hifiman He400i (2020)?

I guess my use case can be called as low - medium volume listening or Near - Mid Field listening.

I am inclined towards Dali Spektor 1. Sensitivity - 83.0 dB
Nominal Impedance - 6 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power - 40 - 100 Watt

The above are some of the amps available in Japan. I want to keep my budget as low as possible but without harming the quality of the experience.
There was a similar post before asking for amp recommendations for Dali Spektor 1s but the budget was higher than mine.

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am leaning to the Yamaha A-S301. IT has multiple inputs, bass and treble controls on the front panel and it is 4 ohm rated. It has more than double the power of the 8 ohm rated Cambridge Audio AXA25.

OP
T
I am leaning to the Yamaha A-S301. IT has multiple inputs, bass and treble controls on the front panel and it is 4 ohm rated. It has more than double the power of the 8 ohm rated Cambridge Audio AXA25.

Thank you for your reply.

Understood. But i have very limited space and, Sony and Yamaha are humongous for me.

Also, budgetwise I don't feel comfortable spending that much at the moment. So, Cambridge is definitely out the race I guess.

gasolin75

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last edited:
OP
T
You do wanna have as much power as possible since the sensitivity is low from the spektor 1 so remove the Fosi audio BT10A from your list

Add SMSL DA-9 to your lkist it competes with the Loxije 30
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/loxjie-a30-vs-smsl-da-9.23070/

Hey, thanks for pointing that out.

I also looked up SMSL DA-9, and it costs ~263 USD here. I thought it is overkill for me, as I don't see myself with using those balanced XLR inputs for a long time :(

gasolin75

Why would it be over kill , it's the sound quality that matters, it competes with the Loxije 30 and might sound a little better

To me the Diamond 220 lacks bass,very dark sounding and the midrange sounds strange to me, wharfdedale have already made "new" Diamond 12 and mission has made LX mk 2, both good speakers

Last edited:

gasolin75

Jbl a120 to small for good bass

OP
T
Why would it be over kill , it's the sound quality that matters, it competes with the Loxije 30 and might sound a little better

To me the Diamond 220 lacks bass,very dark sounding and the midrange sounds strange to my, wharfdedale have alredy made Diamond 12 and mission has mad LX mk 2 both good speakers

Overkill in terms of price, and feature (XLR, aren't these very costly, I think only saw them with STAX) which I might never use. But I agree that sound quality should be priority.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cambridge Audio AXA25 ~ 245 USD
Remove this thing from your list. Nor even capable of 40W/4Ohms at 1%, nor flat frequency response... A piece of crap.

You could also consider the AIYIMA A07 paired with some good DAC such as Topping E30/Modi 3/Monolith/Whatever transparent enough 100-150$ DAC
Speaker candidates -
Dali Spektor 1 ~ 230 USD
JBL A120 ~ 145 USD (86dB 6Ω)
JBL A130 ~ 190 USD (86dB 6Ω)
Wharfedale Diamond 220 ~ 275-525 USD
I would go for the A130 in this list. But there are tons of other options at every budget.

Last edited:

gasolin75

Oh... Even at low - mid volumes?

yes a little, you want to go for over a 5" woofer for good bass or better speakers if you want good bass from small speakers

Some amps isn't neutral so bass might sound unnaturally loud

nn_in

Hello everyone,

Planning to buy my first sets of speakers and need some help with it. Following are the details which might be helpful for you -

• My room - 2.6 m X 3.5 m. It's used as Living + Study + Bedroom
    Windows - 1.7 m X 1.8 m high Curtains on two adjacent walls (curtains supposed to have soundproof quality to block outside noise, but can't say about it's effectiveness).
    Floor - Rug 2.4 X 2.4 m, spend most of the time sitting here. (Speaker level?) Otherwise on desk - chair.

• Genre - Indie rock, Post rock, Shoegaze, Dream pop etc.

• Source - Windows Laptop and Android mobile. Plan to use Pi 4B.

• Dac - Discrete Dac absent. Might consider in future for use with headphones.

• Headphones - Absent. Plan to buy in near future - Meze 99 Neo/ Classic or DT 990 pro 250 ohm or Hifiman He400i (2020)?

I guess my use case can be called as low - medium volume listening or Near - Mid Field listening.

I am inclined towards Dali Spektor 1. Sensitivity - 83.0 dB
Nominal Impedance - 6 ohms
Recommended Amplifier Power - 40 - 100 Watt

The above are some of the amps available in Japan. I want to keep my budget as low as possible but without harming the quality of the experience.
There was a similar post before asking for amp recommendations for Dali Spektor 1s but the budget was higher than mine.

Thank you for your time.
Try Denon PMA 600NE in addition to Yamaha

OP
T
Remove this thing from your list. Nor even capable of 40W/4Ohms at 1%, nor flat frequency response... A piece of crap.

You could also consider the AIYIMA A07 paired with some good DAC such as Topping E30/Modi 3/Monolith/Whatever transparent enough 100-150$ DAC

I would go for the A130 in this list. But there are tons of other options at every budget.

Thanks for your reply. Removed that thing.

Some thoughts on Aiyima A07 -
No Subwoofer output (feels good to have one for the future)
No Bluetooth (I think it's convenient sometimes to stream over BT)
No Headphone Out!

Also, when using Aiyima 07 with a DAC, let's say D10s, I understand that RCA Line outs will be connected to the AMP RCA ins. So, the only remaining input/ output on A07 is AUX 3.5. What can I plug in here?

If I setup Raspberry Pi 4B as a streamer, then I need to connect Pi to DAC, right? How to make that connection? If the USB on D10s is connected to Laptop, how to add Pi 4B? 3.5 to Coax?

Also, will adding a DAC make a obvious difference in sound quality?

Sorry for so many questions.

I looked up the review index for DACs and only Toppings and SMSL are available in Japan. No Schiit, Monoprice , JDS Labs, etc.

Topping D10 ~ 125 USD
Topping D10s ~ 100 USD
Topping E30 ~ 135 USD

Thank you.

OP
T
Has not directly to do with loudnes. Its just not much there at any volume. You could eq in at low volumes. Depends if you can eq the source?
Uhhhps sry did miss you can.

Understood. I also want to learn eq-ing!

Top Bottom