• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Another Bucket List completed....Magnapan MMG

RoyB

Forum Donor
All my audio life I've been lusting after a set of Magnapans.......I attempted to order a pair of the new LRS speakers, even after reading the horrid review on this forum.....I still had to try it....Like the scene in Josy Wales......."I had to come back...."......." I know..." But calling Magnapan to order the LRS I was informed there was a 19 week backlog! I asked about buyimg a set of returned speakers as they offer a 60 day try period. I was told they rarely get any returned and didn't have any. Well 19 weeks gets me right into the fishing season and more outside than inside. So I started to look for used LRS or a set of MMGs (the old version of the LRS).....As luck would have it I found a set of MMGs abpout 25 miles from my house on Facebook Marketplace. Seven years old, like new condition, with bozes and packing....Under $500. Away I go this morning. They were honest in the description. Not a mark and work perfectly.
Brought them home an hooked them up to the amplifier of the day, Yamaha M45.......In a word...AMAZING! Talk about sound stage, imaging, clean mids and highs...WOW. Compared to my KEF 103.2 and B&W DM601, there simply is no comparison.......
But the bass is lacking in my 24 X 12 X 8 room. So I hooked up the B&W subwoofer i have....That's the Ticket!
I've been listening for about 5 hours. A few tunes nearly brought me to tears. Pentatronixs "Hallelujah" was fantastic, as was a bunch of 80-s rock and some Sinatra. Classical was scary good. The "air" around the instuments is breath taking.
Just to be sure I wasn't justifying my purchase I reconnected the KEF 103.2......I couldn't believe the difference. The KEFs had been my GoTo speakers for 20 years. I felt they were fantastic......But the were nowhere as easy to listen to as the Maggies.
To say I'm pleased with these new speakers would be an understatement.

147753458_1137829826660505_1223839001988700964_o.jpg

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All my audio life I've been lusting after a set of Magnapans.......I attempted to order a pair of the new LRS speakers, even after reading the horrid review on this forum.....I still had to try it....Like the scene in Josy Wales......."I had to come back...."......." I know..." But calling Magnapan to order the LRS I was informed there was a 19 week backlog! I asked about buyimg a set of returned speakers as they offer a 60 day try period. I was told they rarely get any returned and didn't have any. Well 19 weeks gets me right into the fishing season and more outside than inside. So I started to look for used LRS or a set of MMGs (the old version of the LRS).....As luck would have it I found a set of MMGs abpout 25 miles from my house on Facebook Marketplace. Seven years old, like new condition, with bozes and packing....Under $500. Away I go this morning. They were honest in the description. Not a mark and work perfectly.
Brought them home an hooked them up to the amplifier of the day, Yamaha M45.......In a word...AMAZING! Talk about sound stage, imaging, clean mids and highs...WOW. Compared to my KEF 103.2 and B&W DM601, there simply is no comparison.......
But the bass is lacking in my 24 X 12 X 8 room. So I hooked up the B&W subwoofer i have....That's the Ticket!
I've been listening for about 5 hours. A few tunes nearly brought me to tears. Pentatronixs "Hallelujah" was fantastic, as was a bunch of 80-s rock and some Sinatra. Classical was scary good. The "air" around the instuments is breath taking.
Just to be sure I wasn't justifying my purchase I reconnected the KEF 103.2......I couldn't believe the difference. The KEFs had been my GoTo speakers for 20 years. I felt they were fantastic......But the were nowhere as easy to listen to as the Maggies.
To say I'm pleased with these new speakers would be an understatement.

View attachment 115111
Interesting

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
New speakers are always a reason to celebrate. Thanks for posting your experience. Congrats and enjoy!

Top Bottom