• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Announcing beta-test of PKHarmonic VST plugin

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Do you need to specify the precise phase angle for each harmonic, or to simply flip the sign (change phase by 180 degrees)?

Hello,
If you let me dream out loud, first being able to flip everything 180 degrees like an inverting amplifier stage would be cool.

Second would be to flip each Harmonic 180 degrees independently.

In the real world I do not know for sure if harmonics are in constant phase with the fundamental frequency or not. This is in the category of it would be nice to adjust with the precise phase angle.

I am a visual kind of thinker. I see different size bicycle wheels all spinning at different speeds with colored ribbons tied to the valve stems. All those sine and cosine possibilities.

Thanks DT

KSTR

Major Contributor
In the real world I do not know for sure if harmonics are in constant phase with the fundamental frequency or not.
Even for a simple static transfer function nonlinearity (fully time-invariant system, and flat gain vs. frequency) the harmonic phases are all over the place, no simple 0° or 180° offset from the fundamental. The phases vary with level but not with frequency. Quick sim:
1653417258118.png

And like Paul said it shows up exactly like this in measurements.

RandomEar

I have encountered a weird bug when using PK Harmonic in conjunction with EAPO. Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see anything about this. The plugin is last in my list of EAPO filters. There's about 8 or 9 peaking filters active, 3 pre-amps and two channel selectors. The problem is the same, when I deactivate all of those. Without PK Harmonic, the predicted FR currently looks like this:
PH_Hamonic_OFF.PNG

As soon as I activate the plugin, the FR prediction becomes horribly distorted:
PH_Hamonic_ON.PNG

The plugin settings don't seem to really matter - the FR always looks like this and it always changes a bit when opening/closing the plugin UI. Sometimes the ripples on the left move a bit, sometimes the downward slope continues past 1 kHz, it's inconsistent. Audibly, the FR is definitely not changed like the prediction/display suggests. Don't know if this is a bug in EAPO or PK Harmonic, but wanted to report this here, first.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have encountered a weird bug when using PK Harmonic in conjunction with EAPO. Quickly scanned the thread and didn't see anything about this. The plugin is last in my list of EAPO filters. There's about 8 or 9 peaking filters active, 3 pre-amps and two channel selectors. The problem is the same, when I deactivate all of those. Without PK Harmonic, the predicted FR currently looks like this:
View attachment 208814
As soon as I activate the plugin, the FR prediction becomes horribly distorted:
View attachment 208816
The plugin settings don't seem to really matter - the FR always looks like this and it always changes a bit when opening/closing the plugin UI. Sometimes the ripples on the left move a bit, sometimes the downward slope continues past 1 kHz, it's inconsistent. Audibly, the FR is definitely not changed like the prediction/display suggests. Don't know if this is a bug in EAPO or PK Harmonic, but wanted to report this here, first.

I'm not an EAPO user, so I'm afraid I have no idea what's causing this or what a FR prediction is and why it looks distorted. Just tried to go to the website and was greeted by this:
1653512818875.png

Is there a better place to download EAPO from?

RandomEar

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think the only valid source is https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/files/1.3/ And by visiting, I just realized that a new version is out since three days. I'm still on 1.2.1.

Yeah, don't know what the FR window is showing. It's definitely not the correctly predicted frequency response:

1653514779861.png

Here is a capture using a loop-back driver with REW of what's coming out from EAPO + PK Harmonic:
1653514730102.png

And here's white noise with the same exact PK Harmonic and EAPO settings. No 61dB gain visible anywhere that I can see :)

1653515046519.png

Last edited:

RandomEar

OK. Thanks for looking into this. Looks like a general incompatibility, at least not specific to my system.

Would you be willing to bring this up with the EAPO author? You know your plugin, he knows what EAPO does to produce the graph - sounds more efficient than me just posting a random bug report over at sourceforge :)

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OK. Thanks for looking into this. Looks like a general incompatibility, at least not specific to my system.

Would you be willing to bring this up with the EAPO author? You know your plugin, he knows what EAPO does to produce the graph - sounds more efficient than me just posting a random bug report over at sourceforge :)
Probably better if you report this. I know nothing about EAPO and the plug-in causes this display problem even in the bypass mode, where no processing is done, so I don’t really see how it could be causing this.

DUKE-DUKE

Hi all. How can I install PKHarmonic VST Plugin on foobar2000 with windows 10? Thank you very much and best regards.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi all. How can I install PKHarmonic VST Plugin on foobar2000 with windows 10? Thank you very much and best regards.
Hi DUKE-DUKE,

You'll need to install the foobar VST plugin adapter (foo_vst, version 2.4 is what I've used before).

Then, in preferences you should be able to add PK Harmonic (32 bit version) and Foobar will restart to activate it.

It'll look something like this:

1662831744518.png

Then go to DSP Manager, and enable PK Harmonic and configure it from there:

1662831826134.png

DUKE-DUKE

Hi DUKE-DUKE,

You'll need to install the foobar VST plugin adapter (foo_vst, version 2.4 is what I've used before).

Then, in preferences you should be able to add PK Harmonic (32 bit version) and Foobar will restart to activate it.

It'll look something like this:

View attachment 229961

Then go to DSP Manager, and enable PK Harmonic and configure it from there:

View attachment 229962
Ok perfect. From where can I download foo_vst, version 2.4, is there any link for it. Thank you very much!

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DUKE-DUKE

Ok. I have downloaded from the web that you have indicated me the PKHarmonic32, in the folder already unzipped there are two files: The PK harmonic32.msi and another called setup.exe which of the two files to install first? Thank you very much.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. I have downloaded from the web that you have indicated me the PKHarmonic32, in the folder already unzipped there are two files: The PK harmonic32.msi and another called setup.exe which of the two files to install first? Thank you very much.
Just start setup.exe from that folder. It'll automatically use the .msi file to install the plugin.

DUKE-DUKE

Just start setup.exe from that folder. It'll automatically use the .msi file to install the plugin.
Ok. I have followed your instructions, first the setup.exe and then the PKHarmonic32, everything has been installed correctly in foobar2000, now I want to see the PKHarmonic interface panel to regulate the harmonics, how can I access to see the interface? Thank you very much.

OP
pkane

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok. I have followed your instructions, first the setup.exe and then the PKHarmonic32, everything has been installed correctly in foobar2000, now I want to see the PKHarmonic interface panel to regulate the harmonics, how can I access to see the interface? Thank you very much.

After making PK Harmonic active (shown below under Active DSPs middle column), click on the three dots to the right of the name.

index.php

DUKE-DUKE

After making PK Harmonic active (shown below under Active DSPs middle column), click on the three dots to the right of the name.

index.php
Ok, perfect, once the harmonics are adjusted, do I have to press the bypass button at the bottom of the interface to memorize the preferences, or does this button have another function and if so, what is it for? Thank you very much.

Top Bottom