• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Announcement: ASR Will Be Measuring Speakers!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is what the UI looks like as it scans. Y1 is the signal to speaker, Y2 is what is coming back from microphone:
1578290368747.png

Fun to watch it all change as the mic position changes. Not so fun is when something goes wrong like the powered speaker losing power. :(

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
’One (small) step for Amirm, a giant leap for audio lovers’

Kudos for this Amirm! I was tempted to use the world audiophiles in my pun above, but as we know, they will most likely disregard this. :)

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
Of course. As I type this in the frigid garage, the scanner is measuring JBL 305P MK II. :)
Did you hired a small army in there to help you out? :)

Wombat

Master Contributor
Good news. All we need now are the AP and Klippel attachments that can measure the unmeasurable effects. :D

rajapruk

Forum Donor
A very load independent amplifier is important to use, I guess?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Did you hired a small army in there to help you out? :)
No, was by myself sadly. And at the end, the extension cord I was using lost its connection to the speaker cord and all the measurements got screwed up. :(

Reactions: trl

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, was by myself sadly. And at the end, the extension cord I was using lost its connection to the speaker cord and all the measurements got screwed up. :(

At least the klippel setup keeps the speaker safe in one position =].

Meanwhile, I very nearly dropped the $2,400 Sonus Faber I measured from 7 feet up in the air. It was precariously balanced on its side for vertical measurements, and though I'd tied it down with a cam strap, I turned my turntable a little too fast and disaster ensued. Managed to catch the speaker before it toppled over (*phew*) but my stand got all bent.

The sacrifices we make for audio.

Dimitri

How much more trouble would it be to have a sound sample too ?
Although a recording wouldn't necessarily do justice to the speaker itself, it would add another way of comparing them against others and getting a sense of how the measurements correlate to the sound it produces.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
How much more trouble would it be to have a sound sample too ?
Although a recording wouldn't necessarily do justice to the speaker itself, it would add another way of comparing them against others and getting a sense of how the measurements correlate to the sound it produces.
Sound of what? The speaker playing music in a room? If so, this just does not work.

I do plan on performing listening tests however.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Congratulations.

pierre

Forum Donor
Great! I am impressed.

having a public database would be great. We could use it to generate multiple versions of the measurements automatically. For example a simple version, a more extended version and a full version Could make sense.
we could also build a website where you could compare 2 or more speakers together.

Gedeon

Forum Donor
You really like to start the new decade with style... :cool:

Just hoping the community is able to support this new effort to keep your independence safe enough.

Trdat

Forum Donor
These equally scares me and excites me. The logistics are terrifying as is the time commitment. Amir needs a shop monkey to employ.
Every speaker I have ever owned has come from craigslist so I'm especially interested in classic ones.

I can't stop thinking about the vast number of speakers I would want to see measured. Maybe someone needs to start a list.

NHT, Boston Acoustics, Ohm Walsh, ESS, Magnepan

I have many DIY speakers that also should to be measured, it will in turn help us understand more about DIY speaker making and associated attributes on a measured level.

Logistically, it will be difficult to ship them out. That said our commitment to drop shipping whatever we can will continue.

Top Bottom