• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Usually there are a few shows a season that I think work for older audiences. But there is lots of repetitive stuff too. Similar to Hollywood's love of sequels. For example, I'm sure we are all waiting expectantly for yet another high school harem comedy this season.
Wow, it turns out they did make an anime series of "Way of the House-Husband" though it's pretty low-budget in terms of animation:
And "Thermae Romae" (Amazon) is likewise:

Timbo2

Wow, it turns out they did make an anime series of "Way of the House-Husband" though it's pretty low-budget in terms of animation:
And "Thermae Romae" (Amazon) is likewise:

Way of the House Husband works ok for me with the stilted animation. The entertainment is the jokes. Also lots of word play that doesn’t translate, but they did their best.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way of the House Husband works ok for me with the stilted animation. The entertainment is the jokes. Also lots of word play that doesn’t translate, but they did their best.
My Japanese is just good enough to let me pick out a few such gags in anime, usually in the names of characters or things. When reading the english-language manga of "I Am a Hero", there's this curious opening to a morning TV show, where the female hosts open with "Boob morning!". After a bit of thinking, I figured out the original Japanese: "Oppaiyo gozaimasu". Kudos to the translator for the deft handling of that.
220px-I_Am_a_Hero.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Daily reminder: if you haven't seen Neon Genesis Evangelion ('95 serie and The End of Evangelion movie), you're not living the 21st century, you're merely living in it, passing through.

Protip: pirate it, the blu-rays had horrible and inconsistent color grading that the fan community (mainly the Sephirotic and 2D4U releases) took days of work to fix. Same for Ghost in the Shell's first movie, that all blu-rays butchered so much (blurry, cropped, black crushed and denoised into oblivion) that Judgment's hand cleaned HDTV WM9 rip release is now the only one to get.

Some examples of these massacres:
GITS BD:
index.php

GITS HDTV:
index.php

https://sephirotic.wordpress.com/20...r-correction-the-hideous-renewals-episode-19/

Attachments

• GITS_1995_BD_2.jpg
    GITS_1995_BD_2.jpg
    875 KB · Views: 365
  • GITS_1995_HDTV_2.jpg
    GITS_1995_HDTV_2.jpg
    817.1 KB · Views: 383

MikeStark

My favorite for now is Fullmetal Alchemist: great storyline, is not too long, the music is super
Never Give Up - comedy and very true to life.
Ouran High School Host Club - light, easy to watch for any mood.
Code Geass - if you want to get smart.
Mushishi - generally, it's awesome.

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This may be slightly off-topic.

But would like to recommend the Sci-Fi + Action + Gore + Hero film, Guyver 2: Dark Hero.
Based on a Manga, it is like Power Rangers with a proper production budget.
It is far from a masterpiece, but the script has some semblance of realism, acting is good, fight choreography and special affects are great.
In my experience even without watching the first Guyver movie, you can easily connect a few dots and it was very enjoyable.
Check it out, definitely recommend as a good lockdown movie.
Search “Guyver 2”on YouTube (App on TV if you have it) and it should be the first result.

Last edited:

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LOL power rangers

I am probably selling the Guyver 2 film short by making that comparison, but the fight choreography and monstrous characters did remind me of power rangers.
It is good fun, and even better if you watch it for free.

Last edited:

q3cpma

Major Contributor
This may be slightly off-topic.

But would like to recommend the Sci-Fi + Action + Gore + Hero film, Guyver 2: Dark Hero.
Based on a Manga, it is like Power Rangers with a proper production budget.
It is far from a masterpiece, but the script has some semblance of realism, acting is good, fight choreography and special affects are great.
In my experience even without watching the first Guyver movie, you can easily connect a few dots and it was very enjoyable.
Check it out, definitely recommend as a good lockdown movie.
Search “Guyver 2”on YouTube and it should be the first result.
I only have the '89 and '91 OAVs of Guyver that are known for being amongst the best examples of 80-90s ultra-violence; with Genocyber, Kite or Angel Cop, for those who want more.
Recommended if you haven't already seen them.

Last edited:

DamDamxD

Oh i didn't expect to see anime here :D
My first was Bleach, and it was fun but damn, there is a lot of excelent anime now.
My Favs:
Naruto - also manga
Black Clover - also manga
Dr Stone
Full Metal Alchemist
Boku No Hero Academia - also manga
Seven Deadly Sins
One Punch Man

xykreinov

Forum Donor
I'm not a fan of how genrefied, as a term, anime has become. Few seem to think of them as just cartoons made in Japan. Though, I think it's somewhat perpetuated by the industry to convince weebs they like all sorts of anime, differing greatly both in genre and quality, just because they're exotic and styled similar.
That said, I tend to like their thrillers and comedies. These days, my top 5 is likely:
- Nichijou
- Death Note
- Goblin Slayer
- Welcome to the NHK
- Serial Experiments Lain
I'd much sooner watch classic Looney Tunes than any of this import stuff.
Blech, 2015's New Looney Tunes can't hold a candle to actual classic Looney Tunes. At least 2011's The Looney Tunes Show wasn't trying to emulate the classic, it knew it was a sitcom parody spinoff. New Looney Tunes steps on the classic's toes in trying to be the same thing, but with more spastic characters and scene transitions for an increasingly attention span deprived generation.
All that aside, Yosemite Sam and Foggy are probably my favorites, though they're all good

q3cpma

Major Contributor
- Nichijou
Sadly, Japanese humour isn't for the average joe. Nichijou isn't as "advanced" as Joshiraku on the "you have to be Japanese to understand", but still pretty bad. If you haven't seen them already (would be strange), you should also like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.
- Death Note
It was fun, but like 99% of anime/mangas, didn't know when or how to end.
- Goblin Slayer
Hmmm, really? It doesn't do justice to the manga, to be honest.
- Welcome to the NHK
I've heard that they butchered the LN, but certainly a good underground choice.
- Serial Experiments Lain
Now you know your stuff, incredible ambiance. For me, watching it felt a bit like the first time I saw Taxi Driver: a hazy, psychedelic daze (but even stronger in the case of SEL). If you liked it, I recommend Texhnolyze and Shigurui.

Last edited:

xykreinov

Forum Donor
Sadly, Japanese humour isn't for the average joe. Nichijou isn't as "advanced" as Joshiraku on the "you have to be Japanese to understand", but still pretty bad. If you haven't seen them already (would be strange), you should also like Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh.
Yeah, it's definitely not
It was fun, but like 99% of anime/mangas, didn't know when or how to end.
I actually think the ending was unusually well done with Death Note. Everyone says I'm just being contrarian, but I truly think it was. Won't get into it though.
I haven't read the manga, but I'm sure you're right. Still, I like the premise and message too much. The anime's flawed, and probably sillier than it needed to be. Yet, it managed to strike a cord with me. Plus, I have a soft spot for Mili's contributions to its soundtrack.
Now you know your stuff, incredible ambiance. For me, watching it felt a bit like the first time I saw Taxi Driver: a hazy, psychedelic daze (but even stronger in the case of SEL). If you liked it, I recommend the original Kino no Tabi, the Doomed Megalopolis OAV, Texhnolyze, Shigurui and maybe Mononoke or Yukikaze.
Okay, I'll check them out.

Timbo2

I'm a big fan of the oddball everyday life genre. I've seen and recommend all the ones you've mentioned. Although Nichijou is likely my least favorite of that bunch. Not that it's bad by any stretch.

I was pleasantly surprised by "Goblin Slayer" and for me seems to stay true enough to the manga and the manga spin-offs.

Despite two attempts I have been unable to watch "Serial Experiments Lain".

My current season surprise has been "Kageki Shoujo" an interesting mix that was originally released Seinen and picked up again Shoujo. So obviously a crossover. It takes lots from https://www.japan.travel/en/spot/1032/

I'm generally not a Shounen person, but will admit that Jutsu Kaisen hooked me last season.

Top Bottom