• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Here's another interesting one, about talk radio. It's a comedy, and yes some of the joke might require a little cultural understanding to get. But it's unique and entertaining nonetheless.

Timbo2

Here's one I started recently. A mish mash of dumpster diving for electronics, tube guitar amps, giant mecha, tons of referrences to classic rock songs, and freaking Prince is a character!

Lot's of promise, A-list voice actor talent and a well known director, but a big disappointment for me.

Senior NEET Engineer

10/10

The World God Only Knows
Stein's Gate
How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend

9/10

Date A Live
High School DxD
My Youth Romantic Comedy Is Wrong As I Expected
Re: Zero
Konosuba + Movie
Your Name
Fullmetal Alchemist
Fate/Zero
Monogatari
Food Wars 1-3

Last good show I watched was My Hero Academia + Movie (8/10).

Timbo2

10/10

The World God Only Knows
Stein's Gate
How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend

Sodate-kata (How To Raise A Boring Girlfriend) really surprised me and I quite enjoyed it. However, it has so many inside jokes that it's not going to work very well for somebody that doesn't know all the anime cliches.

I'm still amazed by the Monogatari popularity. I quite enjoyed it, but it has lots of jokes and meanings that don't translate very well into English. It's one of my Top 10.

soyabeaner

Monster is one of those anime I don't want to re-watch despite being great because there are parts I don't think I can handle again. One of the few that had me on edge :eek:.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Naoki Urasawa's Monster is one of the best stories I've seen for an anime. The 74 episodes just fly through. Highly recommended
I tried watching the first episode buy I wasn't into the pacing. I then looked up the manga: it's good. The drama and political backdrop reminds me of Parasite Eve (something about the atmosphere, the focus on psychology, which is stronger in the book than the game).

esm

Forum Donor
Despite being pretty skeptical about yet-another-RPG-anime featuring the Stoic Hero and his Harem of Adventurers, I finally got around to watching Goblin Slayer the other day (since every recommendation engine I look at regularly had been suggesting it for me a long time), and... wow. I was not expecting that. Reminded me a lot of When They Cry (Higurashi) in that it's presented in a cutesy format, but filled with traumatic, super-dark content.

I would watch the hell out of another season of that.

Other recent watches:
  • Rewatched all of Rascal Does Not Dream, since my pre-order of the Dreaming Girl blu-ray arrived, and I'm still in love with that show (and how well the movie wrapped up the last arc of the story, despite the kind of wonky Clannad After Story-esque "just kidding, we take it all back" storytelling that would usually irritate me.) I still consider this "Monogatari with the sharp edges filed off", for people you just can't recommend Monogatari to (even though it's one of my favorites, most people won't get past the loli abuse and toothbrushes).
  • Hachimitsu to Clover (Honey and Clover) was another A+ watch, especially if you're a fan of slice-of-life stuff but a little tired of high school settings and want to watch something a little more grown-up from time to time..
  • After a few people bugging me to watch it, I sat down and binged School Days, and... what the actual fuck. I don't even know where to begin with how screwed up this show was, or how angry it made me. I was literally shouting at the TV screen. If a standard visual novel "bad end" were stretched out into a season-length anime, it would be School Days. I hated every character except one, and that one sympathetic character was basically a punching bag for the entire show. I hated every second of it, but I do understand why so many people said I should watch it (the purpose of art is to make you feel things, etc).
  • In other wtf viewing, Koi Kaze was...something. Well-animated, given the tight budget they apparently made it on, and the story is both well-crafted and incredibly tragic and disturbing for a bunch of reasons, none of which I'm going to spoil here. Trigger warnings for incest and age-inappropriate relationships would barely cover it (although it's PG-13 as far as on-screen content), but if you can stomach that stuff, it was a really interesting watch.
  • Baccano! was incredibly fun. So good, in fact, that I blindly bought a bunch of the translated light novels because I want to keep living in their universe a little longer. This is definitely one of those shows that I normally wouldn't have watched, but it was the most fun I've had watching something in a long time.
  • After watching Ghost in the Shell SAC_2045 (pretty good, nothing groundbreaking, slightly distracting animation; a decent addition to the universe) I turned to Pandora in the Crimson Shell because it was another Masamune Shirou story, so thought "how bad could it be"? Turns out, really bad. I was not expecting anyone to write ecchi set in the GitS universe, but here we are. It's...ugh. I am so sad that I know this exists.
  • I was pretty skeptical about That Time I Got Reincarnated As A Slime for the same reasons as Goblin Slayer, but its' popularity was high enough that I finally broke down and watched it, and...it was really good, actually. Super light low-stress show, fun times with your overpowered slime ruler and his happy kingdom, with mild tension from time to time. Great palate cleanser after some of the other things I've watched recently.

Tachyon88

I love anime ! Not all mind you. I also can not stand CGI and most uses of it, its so disjointing - even in mecha.

I go in spurts of watching anime or live, but I think the last show I watched was mob phsyco 100. I enjoyed it, super weird with great animation.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Despite being a totally formulaic shonen anime with a lot of gratuitous boob and butt shots I watched all episodes of Food Wars! currently on Netflix because I have a thing for "gourmet manga", and I did like how the various mini-dramas play out within just an episode or two.

Couldn't really get into "Girls und Panzer" though the premise is amusing.

Not an anime, but this looks awesome, wish they translated it:

bigx5murf

Fire force season 2 just started this past weekend.

Started misfit of the demon king academy this weekend as well. So far has a very OPM, overly cautious hero, feel to it.

lennard

I started recently with Fire force and I don't like it so much. Does it get better after a couple of episodes, I stopped at like the 6 or 7 episode

OP
F

fairx

Nobody has mentionend Planetes yet, and, while controversial, I'll claim that Avatar and the Legend of Korra are both Anime.
Planetes anime is good but the manga is wayy BETTER. just IMO.

speaking of Planetes, don't forget Moonlight Mile, quite similar but darker:oops: both explore futuristic / space race story laced with real world politics, too bad they didn't have any closure on Moonlight Mile, no hope for 3rd season

or slice of life anime version of SpaceX, Rocket Girls ;)

Webninja

Forum Donor
Rewatching Kora with my daughter, and it’s as good as I remember.

Carol and Tuesday was great to watch with the family. Really catchy songs.

Really enjoyed the over the top Kill la Kill. Well animated, and so much action and fan service that it’s on the edge of parody without becoming goofy.

Rewatching Samurai Champloo, and this has to be in my top 5, better than Cowboy Beebob for me.

Watched all of Hunter x Hunter and it was fun and easy to binge, no ending though and I don’t think we’ll get one.

Castlevania is much better than I thought, great voice actors. Good plot for something based on a video game.

Currently watching 7 Deadly Sins, seemed childish at first, but it has me hooked. Great characters. Does have some fan service.

Tachyon88

Finished last season of my hero academia, mob psycho, made in abyss and the 3rd movie. Dunno whats next, might re-watch UC gundam. Always watch by date of release, but I wonder if I should would chronologically this time.

Oh ! I need to finish attack on titan. I have only watched the first season. Is the dub any good ?

Webninja

Forum Donor
Attack on Titan really got interesting after the first season. I can’t do dubs, but highly recommend the rest of the available seasons.

Tachyon88

Attack on Titan really got interesting after the first season. I can’t do dubs, but highly recommend the rest of the available seasons.

I think funimation does a pretty good job personally. I cant stand it when there is one voice that is so grating that it ruins the entire show. Clickenbeard who does kid gohan in kai and luffy's voice........I'd rather listen to the hottest treble headphone than that.

Top Bottom