• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

A800

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you watched Ghost in the shell movie or the stand alone complex?

I watched (had to) Akira one time and Ghost in the Shell for like 15 minutes.

Get a hearing test

Not that into anime. First ones i ever saw was obviously dbz. A good one i watched was "Golden boy" Wish there were more like it.

Hugo9000

I am currently enjoying Death Note on Netflix. I watched the 2017 movie last year (featuring Willem Dafoe), and just started watching the older series. Netflix had been 'recommending' it to me for a while, and I mistakenly thought it was suggesting the movie that I had already seen haha.

Apparently there were previous live action movie adaptations and a live action TV series as well. Hmm...

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I started watching anime when bootlegs entered the Soviet Union in the 1980s. Since leaving, some I've wondered about for years but never found the names.

I'm sure the leaky memory has left many others out of the list below, too.

Series
Films
Anything by Studio Ghibli up to The Wind Rises, which is a good film despite being heavily pressured on content by the Japanese government, or the Lupin films.

Shorts

Timbo2

Really liked this (subtitled, the English dub seemed to “California-ish”). I am hesitant to recommend though due to the scenes where he is feeling up him/herself.

I didn't think those particular parts were that gratuitous or especially odd. I can't say I loved the film as I didn't think it that original, but I did enjoy it and can recommend it.

I watched in Japanese as I am an intermediate speaker. I can't comment on the dub. That said the film and Japanese uses gender specific language that I have no idea how they dealt with in dubbed version. Usually even subtitles struggle with this.

mk05

Forum Donor
I don't watch any anime, not because I think it's "weird," but just that I don't have time to try it. There's so many other things to do. That said, I recall watching Cowboy Bebop a long time ago and thinking that it was the best show that I had ever watched, animated or not. I still think it is up there.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Dorohedoro is/ was possibly the best TV I have watched in years. No clue what was going on but a sublime example of what cartoons / anime can be.

bigx5murf

Here's one I started recently. A mish mash of dumpster diving for electronics, tube guitar amps, giant mecha, tons of referrences to classic rock songs, and freaking Prince is a character!

Icboschert

Forum Donor
I started watching anime when bootlegs entered the Soviet Union in the 1980s. Since leaving, some I've wondered about for years but never found the names.

I'm sure the leaky memory has left many others out of the list below, too.

Series
Films
Anything by Studio Ghibli up to The Wind Rises, which is a good film despite being heavily pressured on content by the Japanese government, or the Lupin films.

Shorts
Solid list. Have you seen Sword of the Stranger (2007)?

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Top Bottom