• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Stand by me Doraemon was cute, don’t know why Doraemon gets so little love in the USA.

OP
F

fairx

Talk about Madoka..
This one I didn't get either.

Is it the design? I love Ume Aoki's Hidamari Sketch. Is it the studio Shaft? Again I love Hidamari Sketch. Is it Gen Urobochi? Nope. I highly regard his Psycho Pass as one of best writings in anime.

But again I didn't dig monogatari either.. Is it Shaft again? Lol. Maybe my taste is different.

And Cowboy bebop, I understand this is very popular in the west. And numerous article written explaining why. But at the same time there's also similar space western Outlaw Star (same year I belive). Maybe few hundred years future of Cowboy time line, lots of similarities, renegade and oddball crew etc, but Outlaw star employs more engaging story interveaving space adventure, Tao, magic spell, Sci fi and absurdity in between. Its not shounen per se but slightly generic on the outlook. I like Outlaw Star better! There's a remaster BD released but my old DVD still good I think.

Speaking of old anime I remember watching my first anime on neighbors black & white TV.. Captain Future. Made an imideate impact as I wonder why its so different to Merry Melodies and Disney etc..

Again when we got our first TV in mid 80s I wonder why Galaxy Cyclone Braiger have deeper character than Thundercats for instance. And then came Macross. That's seals it. Its Japan anime all the way.

Tks

Major Contributor
Anyone know what happened to Tokyo Ghoul?

VeerK

I’m in my late 20s, but about 10 years ago I loved watching anime. I still have fond memories of FMA and Samurai Champloo, and the great songs in the openings and endings. Recently, I watched Your Name with my wife, by the end we were snuggled close and sniffling some tears.

I will say, anime and audiophiles go hand in hand, the first thing I do when I get a new pair of headphones, speakers, or amps is run my favorite Nujabes songs.

I like this thread a lot, it’s giving me a list of some anime to watch and enjoy. Cheers guys

Azeia

The manga completed, and ended. The anime tried to compressed the story, and changed around a lot.
That's one of the most frustrating things about the anime industry to me honestly; there are a lot of shows that only exist to promote a manga, and once they're done telling part of the story, or a super condensed version of it (that often leaves loose ends), it's over and you just have to read the manga, which sometimes isn't as fun (there is something cool about seeing your favorite characters animated and moving around, as opposed to just a plain black & white drawing on paper).

I remember watching Claymore and being disappointed that it just sort of ended in a weird way, without fully taking on all of the manga. Same thing happened to me when I finished Soul Eater, although that at least had three seasons, but even so, the manga continues on beyond the events of the anime, and the anime ending isn't even remotely canon in the manga, which was a bit disappointing. Recently, I watched a show called Dimension W, great show, but again, it's mostly just a compressed and incomplete version of events in the manga.

It seems like in Japan, manga is actually more popular with adult audiences than anime; it's not like in the west where TV/Film rules over all media across all age groups. At least that's what a friend who visited has told me. The market is different, so sometimes a lot of anime just ends up being throwaway promotional material.

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
On the other hand, my wife and I discovered a new anime just a couple days ago, "Dorohedro", it's Netflix produced, and after just the first episode had us both intrigued by the creativity. We looked it up, and found it's adapted from a manga that's been running since 2000, and surprised us the mangaka is a woman.

Tks

Major Contributor
The manga completed, and ended. The anime tried to compressed the story, and changed around a lot.

I meant the anime, stopped at season 2, never heard a thing since.

bigx5murf

IQUOTE="Tks, post: 306765, member: 7104"]I meant the anime, stopped at season 2, never heard a thing since.[/QUOTE]

I actually had to look this up, as off the top of my head I would've swore there were 3-4 seasons. Turns out "season 2" is actually the 4th season. So did you watch "season √A" and "season re:" (season 2 and 3 respectively)?

Tks

Major Contributor
IQUOTE="Tks, post: 306765, member: 7104"]I meant the anime, stopped at season 2, never heard a thing since.

I actually had to look this up, as off the top of my head I would've swore there were 3-4 seasons. Turns out "season 2" is actually the 4th season. So did you watch "season √A" and "season re:" (season 2 and 3 respectively)?[/QUOTE]

Last I seen was just the twelfth and final episode of √A after that the series seemed to have been in hiatus

Budgeter

Just gonna post the list of anime that I have watched below, I believe I miss some since I can't remember their name right now. Some of them are adapted from either VN/Manga/LN, which I also read and play. 80-90% of my audio stuffs are literally bought to listen to anime music.
Ano Hana
Konosuba
Plastic memory
Shigatsu wa kimi no uso
Angel Beast
Re:Zero
Yuru Yuri
To aru series (Index, Railgun, Accelerator)
Shakugan no Shana
Tsubasa Choronicle
Kimi no Na Wa
Fate series (Zero, UBW, Babylon, etc) - Type-moon verse in general.
Kyoukai no Katana
Charlotte
Black Rock Shooter
Bakemonogatari series
Higurashi/Umineko series
Code Geass series
Isekai Quartet
Assassinate Classroom
Conan (some movies)
Pokemon (some movies, and up to 2 or 3rd gen for TV series)
One piece (some movies)
Boarding School Juliet
Card Captor sakura
Tokyo Ghoul ss1
Death Parade
No game no life series
Kara no kyoukai series
K-On
Claymore
Dragon Ball (some of the series)
Love is war

Lol, these are the worst anime's to recommend. Madoka magica and Higarushi are literally the two shows that turned me off completely from cartoons to come out of Japan.
Talking about Higurashi, I would say it is really decent as a anime adaption in that era. However, people should play its VN to truly experience what it's about. This is also the one that lead me to Umineko verse, the thing is, Umineko anime adaption is just "ughhh". For Umineko specifically, I highly suggest reading manga along with playing VN, as it will explain things clearer and way better than anime version. For more information, just refer to Azeia post as s/he explained it better than me. English is not my native language so maybe what I said isn't clear at all.

Azeia

For Umineko specifically, I highly suggest reading manga along with playing VN, as it will explain things clearer and way better than anime version.
I still have to watch Umineko. I think I have it downloaded but haven't watched yet..
If I remember correctly, all of these 'worlds' are sort of tied together into one canon through witch Bernkastel or something.

On the other hand, my wife and I discovered a new anime just a couple days ago, "Dorohedro", it's Netflix produced, and after just the first episode had us both intrigued by the creativity. We looked it up, and found it's adapted from a manga that's been running since 2000, and surprised us the mangaka is a woman.
I looked this up, it actually looks interesting, I might try watching it sometime. Thanks for mentioning it.

Budgeter

I still have to watch Umineko. I think I have it downloaded but haven't watched yet..
If I remember correctly, all of these 'worlds' are sort of tied together into one canon through witch Bernkastel or something.

I looked this up, it actually looks interesting, I might try watching it sometime. Thanks for mentioning it.
Not really, it is all depended on how you infer from the stories. The source itself has never been clear about this theory, even when you consider Ryukishi07 comment on it (I forgot what it is), it is even more confusing. This is also what I like about the series, as this series is heavily based on Schrödinger cat box, all the truth is up to the readers. By the way, you may want to look into Ciconia no naku koroni, there is high chance it will relate to the previous no naku koro ni series.

OP
F

fairx

When They Cry

I watch some part of it years ago (Higurashi i think) but I didn't 'realize they have some kind of franchise. I remember freaking out watching it and introduced to Yandere / Yangire (new)type LOL

Speaking of dere.. I like Kuudere the most. Thank You Anno!

Budgeter

You guys have poor taste thats all there is to it. The visual novel is even more poorly written then the anime.
I'm fine with you criticizing the anime for whatever reasons. I understand that each person has different perspective/taste, and I respect that. But tbh, you shouldn't say other people like that simply because you don't like what they are talking about. Peace.
Anyway, back to the original topic, I don't want to escalate this to a war.

direstraitsfan98

Forum Donor
Forgot to mention but Tokyo Godfathers is also an excellent movie.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Oh! That's actually one of my favorites, I have the DVD. Another film I liked from the same director is Millenium Actress.
RIP Kon Satoshi. I watched all of his work.

Meanwhile I just watched Darling in the Franxx. A much-maligned show. I liked it. It was heartwarming and heartwrenching.

Currently watching Violet Evergarden. Cried many times especially since I'm former military and too many things hit too close to home.

Top Bottom