• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

fairx

Hi, I did a search on these part of thread and only found mentions of GITS (Ghost in The Shell)

So how about ANIME.. anyone?

I'm 45 this year and still 18 at heart (so I graduate from shounen anime show many decades ago.. but IIRC I never really enjoy shounen genre). Whenever I'm not listening to music this is the only MAJOR entertainment that I enjoy at home, or theater sometimes.

I enjoy Slice of Life anime genre and sub-genre wholeheartedly but occasionally ventured into light Seinen / Josei / Action / Fantasy / Adventure.

For reference my all time favorite anime (not ranked) would be:

FLCL (borderline Genius / Madness? also featuring notable touch from Imaishi)
Jungle wa Itsumo Hare, nochi Guu (Crazy hilarious life education, early directorial by Tsutomu Mizushima)
Azumanga Daioh (earliest example of modern Slice of Life anime? Also the BGM from Kuri Koder Orchestra is dope!)
Yuru Camp (latest example of highest quality Slice of Life genre)
Porco Rosso (my favorite among Ghibli movies, romance of Golden Age of Fight)
Hana to Arisu Satsujin Jiken (Shunji Iwai prequel to his own live action move Hana and Alice. Cant put into words why I enjoy this crappy (by everyone else standard) rotoscope animation.. But I love every moment of it!

and whole lot more.. but those I wrote above are my frequent and easy pick

oh this season (Winter 2020) I really enjoy the promising Eizouken ni wa Te o Dasu na! from director Masaaki Yuasa.

NTomokawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm 45 this year and still 18 at heart
Ain't anything wrong with that, I watch anime because it helps with my PTSD.

My favorite is Ghost in the Shell. Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer are up there too.

The Monogatari series is great for its storyline and art.

In terms of older stuff I like Slayers and Cowboy Bebop.

Currently watching K-On. I have 3TB+ of watched anime in my archive.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mainly like old anime. Castle of Cagliostro. Akira. Trigun. Recently I've liked One Punch Man and Hero Academy. For the most part, I find recent anime annoying. Both of those I like are based on making fun of recent anime tropes.

OP
F

fairx

My favorite is Ghost in the Shell. Strike Witches and Girls und Panzer are up there too.
Girls und Panzer would be my top picks to lure unsuspecting friends to watch anime. End of first episode where they do continuous zoom out shot to reveal their whereabouts is sheer GENIUS!

I never finish Strike Witches but I rate 501 Butai spinoff very highly . Funny as heck! Maybe because I'm a Slice buff

Azeia

I like recommending shows like Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni to people who are new to anime or skeptical that you can have more serious themes in anime. The first is extremely deceptive in it's outward appearance, you go in thinking it's just some childish "magical girl" show, but then things start to take a dark turn (I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it, just take my word for it). The second could best be described as psychological thriller/horror; if you're squeamish in terms of extreme violence, I would not advise watching it, but it can be quite a brain-teaser trying to figure out what exactly is happening throughout the story, and why.

Of the others mentioned in this thread, I've seen and really enjoyed Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu, Azumanga, Slayers, Akira, and Porco Rosso (I like most of the Ghibli films). Slayers in particular is one of my favorite series of all time, and Lina Inverse one of my favorite characters of all time across all media.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Lots of different ones since I was a kid. Nothing much the last ten years or so. I'll post a list another time.

Veri

Master Contributor
I like recommending shows like Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni to people who are new to anime or skeptical that you can have more serious themes in anime. The first is extremely deceptive in it's outward appearance, you go in thinking it's just some childish "magical girl" show, but then things start to take a dark turn (I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen it, just take my word for it). The second could best be described as psychological thriller/horror; if you're squeamish in terms of extreme violence, I would not advise watching it, but it can be quite a brain-teaser trying to figure out what exactly is happening throughout the story, and why.

Of the others mentioned in this thread, I've seen and really enjoyed Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu, Azumanga, Slayers, Akira, and Porco Rosso (I like most of the Ghibli films). Slayers in particular is one of my favorite series of all time, and Lina Inverse one of my favorite characters of all time across all media.
Umm I showed madoka to some friends once and they never took anime serious ever again. It's still a mahou shoujo show with little girls you know :p your mileage may vary with this one.

Last edited:

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many years ago, a friend insisted that I watch Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend as he thought it was great. The "Seriously Disturbing" tagline is accurate. Thankfully, that's been my only experience of genre which I believe is known as 'tentacle pr0n'. Other than that, i've seen both Akira and Ghost In The Shell several times (including the Stand Alone Complex)

Hugo9000

Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Emperor/ ジャングル大帝 )
Speed Racer (Mach GoGoGO/マッハGoGoGo )
Battle of the Planets (adapted from Science Ninja Team Gatchaman/科学忍者隊ガッチャマン )

Examples from my childhood haha! Those were the adapted and dubbed versions for U.S. television, shown in the 60s and 70s, quite popular in their time. And of course as the introduction to the Japanese style of animation, they served as the impetus for many to seek out the authentic Japanese versions of these shows and others, as well as printed manga.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Kimba the White Lion (Jungle Emperor/ ジャングル大帝 )

That was my favourite cartoon as a very small boy. Dubbed and watched on a B&W TV. Must have been late 60s.

Timbo2

Many of the gags in Azumanga Daiou are not directly translatable. But some of the fan subs do a good English take.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Anime/manga/LN are a big passion of mine; I probably have 30 tabs on my browser.

Adult Swim/Toonami is what first introduced me as a child.
Kaptain Kristian made a great video essays appreciating both, here is the Toonami one:
He also just did one on Miyazaki:

For recent ones, I am happy that Shield Hero got picked up as I enjoy the manga. It’s an Isekai as that’s what’s popular, but damn is it good. I teach high school and a lot of my students watched last season and we would discusss when new episodes came out.

Demon Slayer is another newer anime (also happy it got adapted) that is pretty good.

For manga: Solo Leveling , Peerless Dad , A Retuner’s Magic Should be Special , Red Storm , and Tales of Demons & Gods (LN too) are good/popular.

Last edited:

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Jin-Roh: the Wolf Brigade if you want to see what peak animation looks like
It's too bad that it's almost impossible to enjoy the whole Kerberos saga if one is not in Japan. Where does one even get the radio show transcripts...

Royal Space Force is another one with incredible animation.

soyabeaner

Music and anime. Two interests I can't live without. I've watched over 600 anime. Too bad I lost the text file I once saved, so unless they're big names I'll likely forget which ones I've watched o_O

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't watch anime, but I love their soundtracks. My fave one is Yuru Camp OST CD that's on my profile pic. I also have ClariS and Haruka Tomatsu CDs on my collection

Top Bottom