• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ANIME.. Anyone?

cyruz

Looks like Berserk hasn't been mentioned.

I honestly think that it's on another league story and art wise and is very approachable by everybody (although it's quite dark). The only downside is that the author is probably never gonna end it due to his slow pace.

If anybody is interested, I suggest to watch the 1997 TV version first. Then go straight to reading the manga...

Tachyon88

Looks like Berserk hasn't been mentioned.

I honestly think that it's on another league story and art wise and is very approachable by everybody (although it's quite dark). The only downside is that the author is probably never gonna end it due to his slow pace.

If anybody is interested, I suggest to watch the 1997 TV version first. Then go straight to reading the manga...

97 anime is what lead me to read the manga which is the only manga I started and finished. I thought I remember somewhere that he said he is like almost 90% finished, hopefully.

Its such a shame how the newer animations look, I didn't even bother watching the second season of the new series.

soyabeaner

That original 97 version's ending was scary the first time I watched. Older anime art tend to look scarier than CG to me. I also prefer the original OST to the modern ones.

This may sound odd, but this is my favourite anime of all the several hundreds I've watched. I've not re-watched any titles as much as this one. It's so much fun that I never get tired of it, and also one of the few that made me read the manga to know what happens after the anime ended.
Another one I forgot was Toriko, which I deem as the most fun anime I've watched. Unfortunately, it never finished. Even though I later learned it was off-tangent from being canon, I enjoyed it to the end. Now I'm reading the manga from the beginning during work :p while I have time.

Last edited:

cyruz

97 anime is what lead me to read the manga which is the only manga I started and finished. I thought I remember somewhere that he said he is like almost 90% finished, hopefully.

Its such a shame how the newer animations look, I didn't even bother watching the second season of the new series.

Yeah I agree regarding the new series, the look is out of place for a dark story like this. The drawings of Miura are really masterpieces. I'm amazed everytime I see a demon...

I hope he will finish it, but the pace really slowed down even more recently :(

cyruz

That original 97 version's ending was scary the first time I watched. Older anime art tend to look scarier than CG to me. I also prefer the original OST to the modern ones.

Another one I forgot was Toriko, which I deem as the most fun anime I've watched. Unfortunately, it never finished. Even though I later learned it was off-tangent from being canon, I enjoyed it to the end. Now I'm reading the manga from the beginning during work :p while I have time.

Toriko is funny! The ending though left me somewhat disappointed.

Food luck to you!

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Looks like most of the mentions are of the more recent works.

The anime that got me started were:

i) Kimba
ii) Macross
iii) Gundam
iii) Space Battleship Yamato
iv) Doraemon
v)
gacha.jpg

But they predate most of the mentioned works so far by at least a decade.

And of course most of the works by the great Hayao Miyazaki.

soyabeaner

Death Note was great. I've re-watched it a couple of times while watching other YouTube reactors too. Tokyo Ghoul I've heard lots about and have yet watch because I'm slowing working down alphabetically by title :D on my watch list.

Currently watching Baki 2020 season 3. I read the manga already up to the end of Son of Ogre. At the time I thought it was the end, but I've seen some new characters after that. It's the most brutally violent fighting anime for me.

curiouspeter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Lupin III franchise is my all-time favorite. Excellent music by Yuji Ohno too!

Anything from Leiji Matsumoto is awesome. Also with good music.

Last edited:

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I mainly like old anime. Castle of Cagliostro. Akira. Trigun. Recently I've liked One Punch Man and Hero Academy. For the most part, I find recent anime annoying. Both of those I like are based on making fun of recent anime tropes.

Ditto.

I like old anime, most of my favorites are 20 years old now (GITS, Akira, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, various Studio Ghibli).

I haven't found any recent anime that kept my attention.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ditto.

I like old anime, most of my favorites are 20 years old now (GITS, Akira, Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, various Studio Ghibli).

I haven't found any recent anime that kept my attention.
Isn’t that sad, what swept us into anime was the character designs, stories and landscapes. Hard to find many new series that hold your attention today. Last good series that I enjoyed in the old school parlance was Last Exile.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Isn’t that sad, what swept us into anime was the character designs, stories and landscapes. Hard to find many new series that hold your attention today. Last good series that I enjoyed in the old school parlance was Last Exile.

Yeah, I agree.

Last Exile was also the last one that I probably enjoyed, too.

kyliejourney

from the series my favorites are Naruto, Shaman King, Death Note, Fairy Tail, Avatar
maybe a little trite, but still good
recently watched a good one - Juni Taisen: Zodiac War, but I would like more disclosure of the characters and the continuation of the story.
I am also an absolute fan of all of Hayao Miyazaki's creations, especially Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro and Witch's Delivery Service

Last edited:

zenki

Nowadays anime mostly are trash. Oldies way better.
Can't remember some famous manga/anime guy said that anime is a dying breed.
Guess it's true.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It’s a dying breed because animators and story board artists are being paid peanuts even with big budgets being pushed for production. If you don’t pay artists for their work, you get nothing in return. Garbage in, garbage out, besides it’s hard work and laborious hours with short deadlines.

Top Bottom