• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anedio D2 measurements and specs correct?

Krunok

Major Contributor
SMSL M8A v3 has no measurements available to my knowledge other than manufacturer specs of 0.0003% THD+N (interestingly they do not list frequency response deviation)

One doesn't really expect device that has THD+N of 0.0003% and SNR of 125dB to have frequency linearity issue that are hearable, but as you are Superman I have no doubts that you can hear it.

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

Maybe it is the headphones?
I compared the SMSL M8A v3 and Anedio D2 mainly through two sets of speakers, one set nearfield studio monitors other set main speakers in my living room. Difference very clearly audible.
With headphones the difference is even larger as the headphone amp I have with the M8A v3 is the SAP-12 which isn't good and the D2 has a built in great headphone amp.

The Sabaj D4 I've only had for a short time and heard it mostly with my headphones so yes this could well be due to the built in headphone amp of the D4 in combination with my DT1990 Pro. I wouldn't dare put a sound signature on it with such short listening time on my speaker systems.

The Melokin DA1 shows imaging problems from its internal headphone output which neither the Sabaj D4 or Anedio D2 has. I did do a direct A/B comparison between the Melokin and Sabaj and could easily tell the difference between them based on this alone (there were many other differences as well though). Measurements show these imaging problems are there from the line outputs as well but I have not listened closely if I could hear this with my speaker systems as well, I suspect I wouldn't be able to.

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

One doesn't really expect device that has THD+N of 0.0003% and SNR of 125dB to have frequency linearity issue that are hearable, but as you are Superman I have no doubts that you can hear it.
Well this is basically insulting. I have stated clearly that I am not superman. And if you don't trust my statement that I CLEARLY hear a difference which sounds like a frequency response difference between the Anedio D2 and SMSL M8A v3 in direct A/B comparison then don't believe me that's your choice.
If you want to test my statement go get a D2 and M8A v3 yourself and do an A/B yourself.

Reactions: trl

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Now that's what I called a detailed explanation! :p
I did some ( double blind) ABX testing when I visited amir, now I kinda understood why I was blindfolded but still not sure about the handcuffs..

Can’t really remember much of what happened after that but apparently I passed.

Krunok

Major Contributor
I did some ( double blind) ABX testing when I visited amir, now I kinda understood why I was blindfolded but still not sure about the handcuffs..

Can’t really remember much of what happened after that but apparently I passed.

Ok, everything now fits into one big logical picture: Alien lizzards have obviously taken Amir and he lurred you into his house so you can be abducted. By your strange habit of changing avatars so frequently I seriously doubt you're still human, so who are you and what have you done to Thomas Savage? :D

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

Had the chance to try out the D2 once.
Have to say its a very 'clean' sounding DAC Amp. No clear and obvious coloration (if there was any). Great resolution and dynamics from what I tried on a HD800s.

Only thing that was really missing is some updated firmware for things like newer file formats.

But it takes about 15~30 minutes to completely warm up and stabilise its output as I was told at the session. Which is a fair time in my opinion compared to some ludicrous multi-hour claims considering that its solid state hardware.

BTW, that's a great price you got it at!

I'll be trying it with a HD800 tomorrow to compare it with my DT1990.
I owned a HD800 for a short while when it came out but tried it with a Lavry DA10 and its built in headphone amp at that time and decided not to keep it. I didn't give me good imaging focus back then which I do get now from my DT1990 but thinking now this may well have come from the combination with the DA10 headphone amp. Perhaps tomorrow with a proper A/B (including EQ) I'll go for the HD800.

File formats are not a problem for me. I never go above 24bit 192KHz. And Foobar2000 plays everything. Don't care for DSD.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Ok, everything now fits into one big logical picture: Alien lizzards have obviously taken Amir and he lurred you into his house so you can be abducted. By your strange habit of changing avatars so frequently I seriously doubt you're still human, so who are you and what have you done to Thomas Savage? :D
The question is really ‘ what am i’ .

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I'll be trying it with a HD800 tomorrow to compare it with my DT1990.
I owned a HD800 for a short while when it came out but tried it with a Lavry DA10 and its built in headphone amp at that time and decided not to keep it. I didn't give me good imaging focus back then which I do get now from my DT1990 but thinking now this may well have come from the combination with the DA10 headphone amp. Perhaps tomorrow with a proper A/B (including EQ) I'll go for the HD800.

File formats are not a problem for me. I never go above 24bit 192KHz. And Foobar2000 plays everything. Don't care for DSD.

Formats is not an issue for most people who don't touch DSD. But since you're using Foobar, its even less of an issue since it can convert DSD to PCM before transmission out anyway. So the D2 will play "DSD files" output from Foobar, you just need to select the correct driver setup on Foorbar for that.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well this is basically insulting. I have stated clearly that I am not superman. And if you don't trust my statement that I CLEARLY hear a difference which sounds like a frequency response difference between the Anedio D2 and SMSL M8A v3 in direct A/B comparison then don't believe me that's your choice.
If you want to test my statement go get a D2 and M8A v3 yourself and do an A/B yourself.
If the named amps are of a poor design and causing measurable changes in the headphones response I can understand that completely.
But like power amps, the necessary criteria to build a fully transparent device has been long understood. The headphone market has gone crazy with designs fully intended to have a sound of their own, some even purposely injecting curves that a third party believes he knows better than the headphones manufacturer.
So what kind of components are we talking about here, those designed to be (and measure) transparent, or those engineered to have a sound of their own?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Krunok

Major Contributor
One of these will really put the purrr in your rigs bottom end. ;)
130118d1248826699-dbx-model-110-subharmonic-synthesizer-useful-firstjoyk-img600x449-1248797629r1l1bq13519.jpg.jpeg

Holly Schiit - I have to have one of these whatever the cost! :D

I knew the from the beginning Thomas was hiding something from me regarding the DBX but I couldn't imagine this is gonna be it! :D

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor

That assumes he ever really was...

dbx did a lot of great things, and some less so... They are still around making some pretty good pro gear including the analog crossover I used for many. many years. They have some nice DSP-based rigs these days.

Timbo2

That assumes he ever really was...

dbx did a lot of great things, and some less so... They are still around making some pretty good pro gear including the analog crossover I used for many. many years. They have some nice DSP-based rigs these days.

Good luck finding a car cassette head unit with dbx:). My deck at home had it, but since I couldn’t use it in the car or with the Walkman I rarely used it.

OTH, just think how few people now have clue what “Type IV with dbx” means.

Krunok

Major Contributor
Good luck finding a car cassette head unit with dbx:). My deck at home had it, but since I couldn’t use it in the car or with the Walkman I rarely used it.

OTH, just think how few people now have clue what “Type IV with dbx” means.

Frankly, I remember Dolby but not dbx.. :D

Wombat

Master Contributor
One of these will really put the purrr in your rigs bottom end. ;)
130118d1248826699-dbx-model-110-subharmonic-synthesizer-useful-firstjoyk-img600x449-1248797629r1l1bq13519.jpg.jpeg

I used one of these to add compression to my LP to Compact Cassette rips for car stereo use.

maxresdefault.jpg

Top Bottom