• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Anedio D2 measurements and specs correct?

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

I have bought the Singxer F-1 from a member here, I expect to get it on next week.
I will be comparing it to the Weiss INT204, will post my feedback.
Actually, I have decided to buy it based on your comments abt. the Armature Hecate ...
You cannot say I did not advise you ... there is always someone around here who's ready to fire at your back as soon as you start posting feelings and impressions abt. USB/SPDIF interfaces ... ;)
Cool :) Looking forward to your impressions.

About the backfire on USB to SPDIF interface differences. I don't mind at all. I'm not worried about my personal impressions I know they're valid, too experienced to fool myself very well aware of how that can happen. And I like that this forum is based on measurements. Perhaps sometimes forgetting that a good ear connected to a critical brain has some good critical listening power too, but much much better than the other audio forums where 90% of what you read is nonsense :)

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

Btw, I just remembered having read about a firmware update for the F-1 a year ago or so.
Since you're getting yours second hand you may want to check the firmware version and a way to update it to the latest if it's an older version.
My firmware version is v2.22 (I assume this is the same for the latest Singxer F-1) and my windows driver version is 4.45.0 (Singxer driver).
Here is some talk about the firmware update on head-fi though the link mentioned there is not working anymore and there seems to be a later firmware version than the v2.12 one mentioned there (as I have v2.22). I don't know where to get it perhaps more googling would help you otherwise an email to Singxer?
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/singxer-f-1-firmware-update.825912/

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... Since you're getting yours second hand you may want to check the firmware version and a way to update it to the latest if it's an older version ...

So, finally my new "second hand" Singxer F-1 has replaced the Weiss INT204 interface, which has left the house today.
I am not sure I want to upgrade the firmware, the unit is well integrated within my Linux ALSA audio and everything plays well thru the MPD-daemon.
The XMOS gives the volume control feedback to ALSA, feature which I am not going to use, it might be useful though.
The member who sold me the F-1 (thank you @Patrick1958 ) did the firmware upgrade on his Singxer SU-8 to fix the channel reversed bug when playing DSD. I am not going to play any DSD with my F-1 ...

Screenshot at 2019-02-03 21-58-55.png

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

So, finally my new "second hand" Singxer F-1 has replaced the Weiss INT204 interface, which has left the house today.
I am not sure I want to upgrade the firmware, the unit is well integrated within my Linux ALSA audio and everything plays well thru the MPD-daemon.
The XMOS gives the volume control feedback to ALSA, feature which I am not going to use, it might be useful though.
The member who sold me the F-1 (thank you @Patrick1958 ) did the firmware upgrade on his Singxer SU-8 to fix the channel reversed bug when playing DSD. I am not going to play any DSD with my F-1 ...

View attachment 21325
Great! :)
I'm curious, did you hear any differences between the Weiss INT204 and Singxer F-1 or do they sound indistinguishable?

Last edited:

graz_lag

Major Contributor
... I'm curious, did you hear any differences between the Weiss INT204 and Singxer F-1 or do they sound indistinguishable?

Pretty much indistinguishable, in my setup though, where the DAC was the same, as well as the cabling and the PC.
I have been trying some testing switching one interface to the other on the fly via the ALSA output card selection, with both the Klipsch RF-7II speakers and AKG K701 headphones, but no, I could have happily lived with either one of the two interfaces.
Very important point : the Singxer F-1 is at an eight of the Weiss price, comparing both second hand prices ... ;)

Last edited:
OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

Cool :)
Still very much enjoying mine as well. Listening to it all day, a real joy!

OP
JustIntonation

JustIntonation

Btw, can't really give you any advice on the firmware update. Perhaps it only affects the driver latency or something like that, but just in case there is any audio difference to be had I'd send an email to Singxer? Seems to me new firmware should work under Linux just as well but I really don't know any details on what the new firmware does.

graz_lag

Major Contributor
...I'd send an email to Singxer?

Good, pls. keep me informed if you get any feedback from Singxer.
In my Linux environment, anything is managed by both ALSA and MPD-daemon, I have checked as "no" every parameter associated to resampling, mixing, etc ...
The latency is related to the Kernel type and version, mine is low-latency.
The buffer is instead managed by the MPD-daemon by means of an algorithm related to the audio file resolution.
I verify once in a while the output correspondence with the audio file format, and it is the case for each of the sampling rates I have in my library.
I have also put PulseAudio :facepalm: out of the game, which is the biggest nightmare for anyone who wants to set up an audiophile Linux PC ...

netcipher

My Anedio D2 from the first batch. It sounds very good. For many years, using the desire to replace it with another DAC did not even arise. And it's not just the sound. It was generally designed perfectly and very logically: 4-layer PCBs, ultra-high-frequency digital transformers, gold-plated connectors, toroidal power transformers with magnetic shields, low-noise voltage regulators, fast-settling op amps, 0.5% precision film resistors, SiC Schottky diodes, and high-reliability supply capacitors.
Even such an interesting function as a combination of a resistor attenuator and a digital volume control:
"As you change the volume from “81” to “82”, you will hear a relay click. The D2 DAC uses an optimal combination of 32-bit digital attenuators and relay-controlled thin-film resistor dividers in order to ensure highest signal-to-noise ratios at realistic listening levels."
He conducted experiments combining it with different headphone amplifiers (SMSL SP200, Benchmark HPA4), but did not hear a significant difference with the built-in headphone amplifier. As an experiment, I stopped at the combination of Anedio D2 -> balanced -> Geshelli Archel2.5 pro.
Anedio.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom