• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

[Android] Do mic and remote work through USB DAC ?

kfivmes

Hi everyone,

I want to get a setup for commuting with good sound.
I think about : Bose QC25 -> NX4 DSD -> android phone

If I use NX4 connected through USB to the phone, will I be able to speak through headphones mic and use remote controls ?

Thx

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If u concentrating on controls and mic - you will be better served by Bose QC35, which are wireless headphones. You can skip NX4 (and inconvenience of attaching to the phone) and save some money on QC35.

OP
K

kfivmes

Several reasons why I don't want wireless :
- sound offset in videos
- need to charge
- easy theft
- can't improve the sound in any way

No one can answer my question ?:confused:

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Several reasons why I don't want wireless :
- sound offset in videos
- need to charge
- easy theft
- can't improve the sound in any way

No one can answer my question ?:confused:

You gotta look up if NX4 has any support for mic input. If not - you can try Apple's USB-C audio adapter - that one does have mic support thru TRRS plug (4 pin 3.5mm plug with extra pin for mic)

OP
K

kfivmes

Yeah this dongle is bargain (at least in its US version) but seems to have some volume problems with Android...

Ty for help

Veri

Master Contributor
I had the same question. I considered Radsone ES100 but it does not support mic input.

Then I came across Fiio BTR5, it supports 3.5mm with mic input! Just what I was looking for. But it costs $140

OP
K

kfivmes

I had the same question. I considered Radsone ES100 but it does not support mic input.

Then I came across Fiio BTR5, it supports 3.5mm with mic input! Just what I was looking for. But it costs $140
You have it ? Working on Android ?

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

But the ES100 does have it's own mic, so you can still take calls through it - I use it this way.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it does work via the ES100 mic, but not via the one inside a heatset etc ;)

Yes, I know that. Why would you want to use the mic in a headset over the one in the ES100?

FYI - I noted that Qudelix are planning to support inline mics on the 5K...

Qualcomm® cVc™ noise cancellation technology
  • High Sensitivity MEMS Microphone
  • Earphone Inline Remote/Mic. Support
https://www.qudelix.com/specification

Veri

Master Contributor
Yes, I know that. Why would you want to use the mic in a headset over the one in the ES100?

FYI - I noted that Qudelix are planning to support inline mics on the 5K...

Qualcomm® cVc™ noise cancellation technology
  • High Sensitivity MEMS Microphone
  • Earphone Inline Remote/Mic. Support
https://www.qudelix.com/specification
Oh thanks, totally missed that! Now the Qudelix is really starting to look exactly like the BTR5... Qualcomm bluetooth, Dual ES9218P, Dual Precision Audio Clock... same same same

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Oh thanks, totally missed that! Now the Qudelix is really starting to look exactly like the BTR5... Qualcomm bluetooth, Dual ES9218P, Dual Precision Audio Clock... same same same

I spotted this on the Fiio website...

1574873766109.png

Not much point in having the equalizer then! I have no problems storing and using EQ with LDAC on the ES100 (this makes me think that the equalizer is implemented on the phone, rather than on the BTR5). BTW, I have nothing against Fiio, I was very happy with my BTR3 before I was seduced by the balanced output darkside.

OP
K

kfivmes

So you guys think NX4 DSD isn't compatible mic/remote ?
And what about apple usb-c with Android ? I heard about an app but want to use Spotify so...

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So you guys think NX4 DSD isn't compatible mic/remote ?
And what about apple usb-c with Android ? I heard about an app but want to use Spotify so...

I will test Apple USB-C dongle plus Android tonight. I believe it will work.

I can't get anything other that USB Audio Player Pro to play through the Apple device. UAPP recognises the dongle as a USB DAC as soon as it's plugged in, nothing else (including the phone application) sees the device, so i've been unable to test the mic functionality.

I upgraded my Note 9 to Android 10 a couple of days ago on Samsung's beta programme. It may be that the issues are related to that - I also have issues with drop-outs in UAPP since the upgrade, the developer is aware, but says there's nothing he can do until Samsung fix it :(

Last edited:

idkwho

@Veri Did you end up purchasing the FiiO BTR5 and sending it to amirm? I wonder how it compares with the BTR3 (still no measurements here yet).

Veri

Master Contributor
@Veri Did you end up purchasing the FiiO BTR5 and sending it to amirm? I wonder how it compares with the BTR3 (still no measurements here yet).
Fiio was going to send one to Amir. So normally that should happen sometime.

Top Bottom