• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Android device volume control to external DAC

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
Connections as followings:
Samsung note 9 (or Tab S 4/6) (thru USB C to Micro USB) to DAP (as DAC) (from line out thru aux to RCA) to an integrated amp.
DAP's line out is fixed.

It looks like I can control the volume thru the first device's volume controls.

Do Android devices in my setup use digital volume control? Or it will perform DA + volume and then AD to external DAC.

Thalis

Samsung note 9 (or Tab S 4/6) (thru USB C to Micro USB) to DAP (as DAC) (from line out thru aux to RCA) to an integrated amp.
DAP's line out is fixed.

Do Android devices in my setup use digital volume control? Or it will perform DA + volume and then AD to external DAC.

It is not a bitperfect connection so the signal path goes thru the Android system hence you can do volume control on your device but its still all in the digital domain. The resulting output to your DAC will be fixed at 48.

I assume you want to use your DAP's volume control instead? I did the same thing:

Phone > USB > Hidisz AP60 > headphones

If bitperfect is a concern then you need an app capable of that for example USB Audio Player Pro ( UAPP) which I am using. When in bitperfect mode the phone will not control the volume anymore and is set to max.

OP
L

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
It is not a bitperfect connection so the signal path goes thru the Android system hence you can do volume control on your device but its still all in the digital domain. The resulting output to your DAC will be fixed at 48.

I assume you want to use your DAP's volume control instead? I did the same thing:

Phone > USB > Hidisz AP60 > headphones

If bitperfect is a concern then you need an app capable of that for example USB Audio Player Pro ( UAPP) which I am using. When in bitperfect mode the phone will not control the volume anymore and is set to max.
Thanks for your quick reply. I forget mentioning one thing:
In my first DAP (5 years old), it says: 24 bit/192khz;
A newer DAP, it says: 32 bit/384khz;

The app I was using is Amazon Music HD playing Ultra HD.
I will definitely check out the app you mentioned.

Chrise36

Major Contributor
DAP's line out is fixed.

Hi may ask what usb c to micro usb cable have you used?

Top Bottom